PDA

View Full Version : W.O.C. project by Herne

Herne
19-07-2009, 12:09
Hi all - This is a project thread following the development of my warriors of chaos army. This is the first army i've ever bought that is completely new, and has no second hand or trshed stuff in it (cheap off ebay etc.) I've collected and painted for years, but always added stuff to my armies sporadiacally, so i wanted to tackle this as a completely new project. So I sold a kidney and purchased the models. Here's the goodies so far!:

http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne10/boxes_2b.jpg
and after cutting out all the sprues and assembly:
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne10/sprues_1.jpg
Look at all the waste!!!
(Don't worry - it got recycled.)

Herne
19-07-2009, 12:11
Here's the first painted unit: Warriors of chaos undivided. I wanted a dark gritty feel to the warriors. I love the image of these barbaric warriors looming out of the mists, all solid, dark armour and tempered violence.
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne10/Warriors_of_chaos_undivided_1.sized.jpg
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne10/Warriors_of_chaos_undivided_2.sized.jpg

Herne
19-07-2009, 12:15
Here are the Knights I painted. Such a hard unit in the game deserved a good paint job, but i couldn't believe how time consuming these were!
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne8/all_knights_montage.sized.jpg
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne8/Mace_and_pick_montage.sized.jpg
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne8/standard_montage.jpg
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne8/champion_montage.sized.jpg

grhino
19-07-2009, 13:21
Love this army allready. Impressive amount of boxes you got there. Unfortunate that you can not use deamons and beastmen with WOC anymore.

mrtn
19-07-2009, 13:38
Great start.
:)

Herne
19-07-2009, 13:50
Love this army allready. Impressive amount of boxes you got there. Unfortunate that you can not use deamons and beastmen with WOC anymore.

True - I loved the old mixed arms forces. I've actually chosen to use some bloodletters to represent my forsaken, and some beastmen to represent my smaller units of marauders. (I tend to use 10 in a row as a shooting shield while my units advance behind them.) Fluff wise I like the idea of the warriors driving the beastmen before them, and the demons are summoned to harass the enemy, replacing the non-existent forsaken models. All the rules remain as the WOC book, so no arguments on rules, and as these aren't for tourney play I can be a little fluffy with them to enjoy my mixed army still. :)

xsamx
19-07-2009, 13:56
Those knights look awesome! how did you do the red?

I am at the point of painting my knights too, but i daren't do them in the colour of a marks incase i wish to switch? Did you decide you will always be fielding them as Khorne, or will you switch too and am i just worrying too much about people moaning about me being able to use them as nurgle if say, i chose to paint them khorne, or slaanesh etc?

colonel kane trine
19-07-2009, 14:05
In the 5 laid down boxes right at the front is the furthest right box an ogre kingdoms tyrant?

Cpt. Drill
19-07-2009, 14:16
In the 5 laid down boxes right at the front is the furthest right box an ogre kingdoms tyrant?

Oooh Well spotted I wonder what that will turn into?

That is an awesome paintjob your laying down on those guys. The colours look great! Cant wait to see more...

...Whats the Tyrant being used for?

Phytrion
19-07-2009, 14:28
Those knights look great! Consider me subscribed, if for no other reason than to see what you're doing with that Tyrant!

Herne
19-07-2009, 15:49
Those knights look awesome! how did you do the red?

Ok - 2 min tutorial:
1 undercoat black
2 Basecoat mechrite red
3 Wash leviathan Purple
4 Wash badab black, concentrating on recesses
5 layer raised areas with mechrite red
6 layer top raised areas bright red
7 Sharp edges drawn along in yellow
All paints are slightly watered to get a glazing effect and smooth the transitions.

I am at the point of painting my knights too, but i daren't do them in the colour of a marks incase i wish to switch? Did you decide you will always be fielding them as Khorne, or will you switch too and am i just worrying too much about people moaning about me being able to use them as nurgle if say, i chose to paint them khorne, or slaanesh etc?
I personally have 3 units of knights/ Almost always take a khorne unit, so will paint 1 khorne, and 1 nurgle, with the others undivided. Lads down my club aren't too fussy as long as I declare at start of game. Considering most of them haven't even painted their armies we aren't to anal about it all. ;) If i were you I'd paint them how you want - at the end of the day - you paid your money for the models and spent your time painting them....

Oooh Well spotted I wonder what that will turn into?
It's going to be a chaos ogre. I'm not overly fond of the chaos ogre models, and already have a small but eclectic mix of ogres, including the ninja special edition and some older models that look suitably mercenary enough to join the chaos march. I picture them being beligerent merc types rather than chaos polluted ones.

Thanks for all the kind comments - didn't think I'd get this much interest! :eek::)

maze ironheart
19-07-2009, 16:57
Wonderful truely wonderful keep up the good work will be keeping an eye for more great painted models.

Elfboy
19-07-2009, 17:40
Your painting is quite delicious, even for the core troops. More please :)

Herne
19-07-2009, 19:56
Thanks guys - now I need to decide what to paint next. Tempted by a nurgle unit of warriors.

RaZeR
19-07-2009, 20:43
Some seriously good painting there :)
Seems a bit ambitious to buy and assemble them all at once, but if you have the space...!
Personally I enjoy the converting part more than painting, so I've tried to break mine up a bit :p

Acerbus
20-07-2009, 03:15
Great painting work, quite a task to do this all at once. if the entire army has this standard, it'll be amazing.

Animerik
20-07-2009, 05:52
Good painting there, especially the metalic parts. The knights looks really good as well, great bases btw.

Keep em comming IŽll keep my eye on this one
cheers

Bregalad
20-07-2009, 08:44
Very cool and natural looking army. Congratulations!

Elazar The Glorified
20-07-2009, 13:42
The units you've done already look brilliant so well done for that. That's a very ambitious way to tackle an army project to have that many boxes staring at you! ;) I have a question though, which collectors mini is it you've bought..? the box looks about the right size for Be'Lakor....

Herne
20-07-2009, 18:27
....I have a question though, which collectors mini is it you've bought..? the box looks about the right size for Be'Lakor....

Nah - I'd love him though - he's a great model. The direct order box was for a tzeentch sorcerer on disk. I could not seem to pick one up at the time from anywhere - checked ebay traders and several online traders. No one had one and everyone was having trouble getting them due to the changes to GW selling rules. Payed through the nose for him, then a week later picked up one for 5 quid from another source! Mortified.... :mad:

Just checked on your WOC thread - loving the colour scheme by the way. :)

imm0rtal reaper
21-07-2009, 13:44
OOO this looks like its going to be quite a thread:)

Great start so far!

Herne
21-07-2009, 18:13
Just a little update - here is my scratch built war altar including the old empire war wagon, the old beast of nurgle and the dragon skull that came with the now ancient 'emperor' dragon. (Or was it 'great imperial dragon.') My take is that the power of the altar comes from the dragon skull and is channelled by the dark priest / sorcerer. Looking forward to painting it!
http://www.ageofstrife.com/albums/Herne10/montage_war_altar.jpg
Everything inside the cart is pinned so I can lift it out for painting. The horse halters were cut off, split and inverted to make a metal 'noose' for the beast to haul the wagon.

HereticLosMorte
21-07-2009, 18:50
that's a pretty cool war wagon

James S
21-07-2009, 19:51
Great work! Your Khorne paint scheme is awesome. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I'm liking your War Alter. Its alot different from many that I have seen. Keep up the great work.

Elazar The Glorified
21-07-2009, 20:55
Nah - I'd love him though - he's a great model. The direct order box was for a tzeentch sorcerer on disk. I could not seem to pick one up at the time from anywhere - checked ebay traders and several online traders. No one had one and everyone was having trouble getting them due to the changes to GW selling rules. Payed through the nose for him, then a week later picked up one for 5 quid from another source! Mortified.... :mad:

Just checked on your WOC thread - loving the colour scheme by the way. :)

Sod's law that one! And thanks, glad you like the Devotees! :)

Back on topic. Your Warshrine looks great. Really great idea, can't wait to see how this looks once you've gotten it painted. There seems to be a lot of great warshrine conversions popping up on Warseer right now :)

Chaos Puppy
22-07-2009, 00:14
I am stunned! those are amazing models! And the opening picture just made me drool...:)

RaZeR
22-07-2009, 07:03
That's an awesome warshrine :) Love the pillars of skulls, and the dragon skull is amazing. Cant wait to see it all painted up!

Rod Hull
22-07-2009, 07:12
Those look amazing. I especially like the knights.

If you wouldn't mind, could you give a quick rundown on how you did your warriors please.
Also, when you say a "bright red" for your knights, is that blood red or something else ?

Cheers.

Herne
22-07-2009, 09:13
....If you wouldn't mind, could you give a quick rundown on how you did your warriors please.
Also, when you say a "bright red" for your knights, is that blood red or something else ?

Cheers.
The red o the knights is an MP paints 'bright red' but it's pretty much the same as GW blood red, so you could use the same.

Ok - quick tutorial on the chaos warriors:
Armour:
1 Flat coat all armour boltgun metal
2 Sepia wash (hvy)
3 wash badab black - do this twice, allowing to dry well between washes.
4 stipple some patches with boltgun metal
5 highlight edges and scratches chainmail
6 badab black wash
7 pick out scratches in mithril silver
8 patch wash browns for the corrosion

the repeated washes darken down each stage of scratching, suggesting damage gained over a prolonged period. The repeated black washes also darken the main silver on the plates to look very grimy and hard worn. The browns and sepia help keep a slightly corroded look to the surface of the metal.

Cloak:
1 Calthan Brown flat coat
2 Wash Devlan mud
3 Layer Calthan brown
4 Layer Calthan brown / Khemri brown
5 layer Khemri / graveyard earth
Each layer rises up the raised surfaces of the cloak, leaving the recesses darker. Careful blending is needed to maintain the smooth transition.

Fur collar:
1 Drybrush Scorched brown
2 Dybrush khemri brown (lightly)
3 Drybrush Dheneb stone (Very lightly)

Boots:
Boots are easiest -
1 Paint flat Scorched brown
2 Layer bestial brown
3 wash devlan mud
4 highlight edges snakebite leather, then bubonic brown on very edge highlights

Rod Hull
22-07-2009, 15:04
Thank you, I'm going to try that out on a test model.

Herne
23-07-2009, 07:37
Sorry for the missing pics folks - my host site for the pictures is experiencing some difficulties, but should be sorted soon. Will have them back A.S.A.P.

Herne
23-07-2009, 09:42
There - all restored and tickety-boo.:)

Leonathion
31-07-2009, 16:48
I love the white banner on the knights. It's so damm fitting! I can see it getting all soaked up in blood on the battlefield, powerful symbol! This is great stuff! I'm curious to see what you work out with the bloodletters and beasts :)

Herne
27-08-2009, 11:10
Here's the next installment. As I mentioned elsewhere in this log I like the idea of a joint chaos army of mortals, beastmen and daemons, so to get around the rules issue of not many daemons in the new book I chose to use bloodletters for my forsaken. I love the new models and wanted to get some to paint anyway. I used the dipping method for these spurred on by another project log i read, so these are done with army painter. Seems to work quite well, although you have to be very careful with the anti-shine spray or everything goes frosty! 8O Hope people like:
http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22809&g2_serialNumber=1
http://www.ageofstrife.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=22815&g2_serialNumber=1

Elazar The Glorified
27-08-2009, 13:13
They look great and the totem pole looks gorgeous. In a gory, blood for the blood god sort of way! :D

El Aartos
27-08-2009, 17:32
I'm jealous at the pile of boxes you've got there, although my pile is growing steadily now =P
You painting style is really cool with all the drastic highlight effects you put on the warriors and the knights *writes down recipes*.
I'm glad you just started this tread because I can learn a lot from this :D
Keep up with the awesomeness and I hope to see more soon!

dwarfhold13
27-08-2009, 18:26
this army is going to be gorgeous.. i'm kinda bummed that for some reason the pic of the war shrine isn't showing up for me, but maybe next time i visit on a better connection it will pop up..
i remember when i clipped all the parts from the sprues for two boxes of flagellants, and i can honestly say, you are a patient patient person to go through that, that is a LOT of little bits to clean and glue together.. how many days did that take you?

Breazer
27-08-2009, 19:15
this stuff is great..
really impressive how this started....your painting looks awesome...
i will be sure to follow this more often

Herne
28-08-2009, 09:15
....i can honestly say, you are a patient patient person to go through that, that is a LOT of little bits to clean and glue together.. how many days did that take you?

@ Dwarfhold13
I can't rememberr exactly, but going through all the boxes took a couple of weeks sitting in front of the TV clipping away. Let's just say I got through a couple of series of 24 on DVD while I was doing them! :)

@ all
Thanks to all for you kind words - your praise gives me the inspiration to keep going! ;)

pointyteeth
28-08-2009, 16:39
That Warshrine is AMAZING! I regret not picking up a war wagon when I had a chance.

Can't wait to see it painted.

Also, the blood on the khorne icon is a work of art

dwarfhold13
28-08-2009, 17:30
Let's just say I got through a couple of series of 24 on DVD while I was doing them! :)

ahhh.. yup.. thats good company.. i'm surprised you got ANY work done :D
looking forward to the next pics