PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Tyranids

Thranduil
19-07-2009, 22:31
Kind of an odd question, or rather, set of questions:

Is there any known technology - imperial or xenos - that is the equivalent of a personal cloaking device?

Secondly, is there any such technology that could make an individual indetectable to the heightened senses of Tyranids?

Furthermore, how do Tyranids percieve their prey? By sight, smell, hearing, etc., but what else? Would their psychic powers allow for any other abilities to sniff out prey?

Thanks in advance for speedy replies and discussion. :chrome:

Madness_
19-07-2009, 22:39
Well, I think a Culexus assassin can infiltrate them, at least in game.

grissom2006
19-07-2009, 22:44
Night Haunter is hinted at having stealth armour.

I recall A lictor wounding a lone guardsman and track him by a pheromone the Lictor left on the him

grissom2006
19-07-2009, 22:47
All Assasins stealth suits used have chameleon properties in them

MrSatan
19-07-2009, 23:53
There are items that make the bearer harder to see (chameleon cloaks, Holofields, Tau stealthsuits ect), but never heard to a full cloaking device apart from on certain battleships

Geep
20-07-2009, 02:21
Full cloaking devices exist in Tales of Heresy- the story with the Adeptus Custodes. Although it's not completely clear, an advanced cloaking device is also hinted at in Fallen Angels- being used to walk past a workmen who seems to not notice a space marine at all.

Marbo has some form of plot powered cloaking device- i hate this guy- how can a human have better sneaky deployment rules than a lictor?

Eldar also have a powerful holofield style device that gives complete invisibility- check the Eldar Apocalypse fomations on the GW website (the war walker squadron- I can't remember its name).

Tyranids have many different, often poorly described ways of finding people- Trygons and Raveners can somehow 'sense' people above them, before burrowing up to kill them. Smell, sound and sight don't account for that- references are made to sensing vibrations, but that wouldn't help them distinguish people from a wobbly washing machine. I imagine psychic 'nids could use their abilities to find other psykers, but maybe not average people.

Green Shoes
20-07-2009, 02:51
I would assume that (almost) all strains of 'nids have every sense heightened well beyond human or animal senses, just because of the whole selective evolution thing. As far as the burrowing 'nid thing, who knows? The vibration thing isn't the most effective way of doing it, so maybe they have some super heat-sensing organs that can penetrate solid earth, but then that wouldn't be completely effective either. Maybe a combination of the two?

MasterDecoy
20-07-2009, 03:54
I would imagine also, that the ravanars could use the intel gathered from surface dwellers to decide when to attack as well.

Kozbot
20-07-2009, 05:20
It depends on how far you take the hive mind concept. It could be if one gaunt sees where a guardsman is in effect every tyranid in existence knows where said guardsman is. If they are in fact simply a distributed network it'd be no different then a bunch of computer cameras, the whole system knows everything that any given 'nid is seeing, smelling, hearing, etc. And it's also likely that at least some varieties of 'nids have senses that people don't, be it something like pit vipers or some other unimaginable sense.

starlight
20-07-2009, 05:33
*subscribes to come back and fill in some blanks later (ie after work:p)...*

Guardsmen (Catachans if I recall) covered themselves with Tyranid ichor to infiltrate hives. The background had the decontamination process taking some time...

murrytheskull
20-07-2009, 09:09
In the fifth Caiphas Cain novel, Duty Calls, the inquisitor notes the following in relation to the PDFs brightly coloured body armour (eg green with purple stripes or iridescent blue and red)

"As tyranids generally rely on scent and vibration as much as sight to detect their prey, this bizarre predilection probably added less to their casualty rates than would have been the case with most other foes"

I think most races would be able to come up with something that dampens your sound and scent and either cloaks you fully or blurs your outline.

In this book a cultist also uses psychic powers to make himself invisible. I don't think its out of the realm of possibility that the warp could also be used to hide oneself in other ways. Of course, this assumes the shadow in the warp can be overcome.

Thranduil
20-07-2009, 14:05
Thanks for the replies so far... another question:

Is there some way that such technology would or could be deemed "heretical" by the Imperium?

starlight
20-07-2009, 14:17
Given that sneezing at the wrong moment can be deemed heretical by the Imperium... :eyebrows:

Madness_
20-07-2009, 16:07
Telepath wyrds in Necromunda can become invisible, maybe a rogue psyker?

Dvergar
31-07-2009, 18:57
Is there some way that such technology would or could be deemed "heretical" by the Imperium?

Dreadclaws were deemed heretical, I'm sure if the cloaking device was warp powered and came with the user seeing demons and risking possession it would certainly be deemed heretical.