PDA

View Full Version : Characters leaving units and march blocking/marching

Mordante
20-07-2009, 03:37
Here is the situation:
A character is attached to a unit. The unit is within 8" of an enemy. THe unit is not allowed to march. The character is on the edge of the unit and is not within the distance that would cause it to be marchblocked, were it not in the unit. The character detaches from the unit. Can he now march? The wording in the rules is not specific as to when the detachment occurs, and if it is considered part of the movement. It also says that if a unit is within 8" of an enemy when it begins its movement, it cannot march. If the character detaches before it begins moving, then can he march? Normally, a character would have to move to get out of the space he was in to be out of the unit. But if he is on the end of a rank and there is nobody behind him, does he move or is he simply detached?

This came up because it was a skink priest on a stegadon on the end of a temple guard unit.I figure this will come up more often with the proliferation of EotG being made day and night in Lustria. That brings up another question...Everyone around here says a skink on a stegadon can join a unit, since it is a character on a mount. Is there anything that says they cannot?

Sarah S
20-07-2009, 03:47
The character was part of the unit at the start of his move, and so is march blocked.

Ultimate Life Form
20-07-2009, 04:12
Here is the situation:
A character is attached to a unit. The unit is within 8" of an enemy. THe unit is not allowed to march. The character is on the edge of the unit and is not within the distance that would cause it to be marchblocked, were it not in the unit. The character detaches from the unit. Can he now march? The wording in the rules is not specific as to when the detachment occurs, and if it is considered part of the movement. It also says that if a unit is within 8" of an enemy when it begins its movement, it cannot march. If the character detaches before it begins moving, then can he march? Normally, a character would have to move to get out of the space he was in to be out of the unit. But if he is on the end of a rank and there is nobody behind him, does he move or is he simply detached?

1. Joined Characters count as part of unit

2. No marching for units that start turn within 8" of enemy

Result: No.

This came up because it was a skink priest on a stegadon on the end of a temple guard unit.I figure this will come up more often with the proliferation of EotG being made day and night in Lustria. That brings up another question...Everyone around here says a skink on a stegadon can join a unit, since it is a character on a mount. Is there anything that says they cannot?

No. Why should there be something like that?

Mordante
20-07-2009, 05:59
Others are saying that monsters cannot join units, so the stegadon cannot join the unit even if it is mount for a character.

I think the answers above simplify the issue and are not per teh actual wording of the rules. It says a unit that starts its move within 8" cannot march. The question is when does the detachment occur? If it is before the character or unit moves, then he can march if you take it as RAW.

Ultimate Life Form
20-07-2009, 06:15
How could you detach from the unit without moving first?:(

"Hey guys, I'm still hanging with you, but I'm no longer part of your unit. Oh, and please let the enemy also know."

The answers are not simplifying but simply restate what's written. The character, as part of the unit, obviously IS within 8" when he starts moving. That is all that matters. Later on becoming a unit on his own does not override this.

Oh, and yes, monsters cannot join units. However we're looking at a mounted Character here. Nothing out of the ordinary. Only because the same model doubles as Stegadon and character mount does not mean the two are in any way related. By the same logic, you could argue that the Engine of the Gods is the same as a normal Stegadon and an Ancient Stegadon and therefore must be equipped with Giant Bow AND Giant Blowpipes. Or that all Stegadons on the table can use the Burning Alignment.

Yrrdead
20-07-2009, 08:43
On the matter of skink priest w/ EotG joining units , it is perfectly fine. The reason that people think monsters can't join units is that "characters mounted on flying creatures cannot join units." At least that seemed to be the case in my group.

Starting on Pg 72 (BRB) you really need to read through pg 79 to realize the full ramifications of the Eotg in a unit of Saurus warriors.

Good luck.

Nurgling Chieftain
20-07-2009, 18:40
The question is when does the detachment occur?It occurs during the character's move.

Staurikosaurus
23-07-2009, 08:45
Just take the War Drums so you don't have to worry about it.

Other than that I'd have to check my rulebook but IIRC you can only leave the unit and march if you're on foot.