PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with......

Jind_Singh
20-07-2009, 03:25
So what do you do with 220 plastic night gobblins with spears, 120 NG archers, 60 spider riders with lots of command groups?
For some reason i now have 6 BFSP box sets worth of gobbos! I do have 40 orc boys, a giant, a stone thrower, 2 bolt throwers, 1 charriot, 6 trolls, 4 bases snots, and some characters (inc warboss on wyvern) but I'm really lost for ideas with the sheer number of night gobbos I'm saddled with!!!
Does anyone have some good ideas - i'm not looking forward to painting them either, thats A LOT of greenskins!!!!

Urgat
20-07-2009, 03:30
Dunno, send them my way? I'll put them to good use :p

Dag
20-07-2009, 03:57
wtb the giant, boys, and trolls lol

thats a big gobo horde.

spray black green faces brown spears.

get 100 done in 2hrs

Lord Dan
20-07-2009, 05:19
Spray black.
DA green skin ----> Drybrush goblin green
Drybrush capes shadow grey
Paint spears brown
Paint speartips boltgun
Wash whole model in devlun mud

Jobs a good'un.

starlight
20-07-2009, 05:25
Step 1 - Stop. Buying. Gobbos! Seriously, you have enough! :p
Step 2 - Paint as per Lord Dan's instructions above.
Step 3 - Send them to me...erm I mean, a good home... ;)

:D

Jind_Singh
20-07-2009, 05:26
yeah? I'll have to give that last one a shot - I'm not looking to win awards for painting but wouldn't mind something at least 1/2 decent.
what do you all think about a good way to make a list?
has anyone played with a NG horde? technically it aint gonna be pure as theres the spiders.....but it can be a subject tribe to the main NG horde.
what a shame you cant give great weapons to gobbos - they should make it so they only get plus 1 to their strength (beiong weedy gobbos) but damn they were nice models!
especially when you had the badmoon bannor so they could ASF!!!!
lol, good ole warhammer!

Schmapdi
20-07-2009, 05:34
So what do you do with 220 plastic night gobblins with spears

I think the most important thing is that you field them as a single large unit, 10x22. Be sure to add some netters!

Condottiere
20-07-2009, 08:32
Find a Skaven player. Deploy.

mrtn
20-07-2009, 08:42
Send them to me, or use half as skavenslaves.

Vermin-thing
20-07-2009, 08:44
Did someone say Skaven??? :D

1: prime black.
2: paint robes; mechrite red>>> (hightlight) macharius solar orange>>> (wash) baal red.
3: paint faces; goblin green (or snot)>>> (wash) thraka green>>> dot eyes blue/purple.
4: Paint shields; (undercoat) dheneb stone>>> add iyanen darksun checks or daggs.
5: paint spears brown.
6: paint speartips; (drybrush) chain mail >>> (wash) deven mud>>> (wash) badab black.
7: line them up and let the ratling guns go!

And those are the colors for my gobbs.

If you could get all that painted it would be an impressive sight!

Lord Malorne
20-07-2009, 08:45
Ha! thats nothing!

I have had 11 sets of the BfSP NG's, box's full of the blighters, got rid of most of them but kept all the spider riders, based the riders on infantry bases now I have a forest goblin army... and a box full of giant spiders :cries:.

Warlord Ghazak Gazhkull
20-07-2009, 08:46
Send them to me:p I never have enough greenies. Aside from that you can play with a full goblin horde, the painting can be a nightmare.

Greetz
G

O&G'sRule
20-07-2009, 09:09
Theyre the quickest models to paint so it doesn't take that long, its just daunting to start. Spray them black, paint the green and metal bits and theyre done, no need to over complicate night goblins. Sounds like a nice army though, alot of flexibility

Leogun_91
20-07-2009, 10:03
I usually field 2-3 units of 40ngobs in my greenskin army and they have never really dissapointed me, they are great and are much more dangerous to fight than one would think. Also get some Fanatics about 6 fanatics per 3 units is a good number but donīt divide them evenly.....that is what the foe expects. My general idea here would be to buy the plastic orcboss set so that you get decent leadership and as a goblinboss as a general feels wrong when you include orcs but an orcboss leading a goblinhorde with just a few orcs fits the fluff........Oh and good luck on painting them all.....itīs not as hard as it seems at first.

and a box full of giant spiders :cries:.
Do as I did and let the spiders draw the grudgeponycarts and voila you have a nicely converted wolfchariot fitting for a forestgoblinarmy.

Nuada
20-07-2009, 10:17
Ha! thats nothing!

I have had 11 sets of the BfSP NG's

Wow that's alot of goblins.

Night goblins can be daunting to paint, so many of them.

Talking of useless figures, I've got 3 of the same model.... a big orc boss with his arms crossed and a little goblin infront of him. Someone gave them to me, and i don't even like the model. Don't even know who he is.

Urgat
20-07-2009, 13:06
Wow that's alot of goblins.

Night goblins can be daunting to paint, so many of them.

Talking of useless figures, I've got 3 of the same model.... a big orc boss with his arms crossed and a little goblin infront of him. Someone gave them to me, and i don't even like the model. Don't even know who he is.

Games day model, it goes for quite a lot on ebay, so even though I'd like one, I guess I won't, can't justify that price for a mini that is indeed not that great.

lcfr
20-07-2009, 21:31
Sell or trade me the plastic giant.

Then write yourself a goblin horde list.

jullevi
21-07-2009, 18:01
If you could get all that painted it would be an impressive sight!

Unfortunately, Skull Pass goblins are rarely an impressive sight. If you use the models as they are, the units look very boring and static.

The first step towards reasonable looking units is to cut the tabs and glue the goblins in slightly different angles. The second step is to get some Night Goblin regiments and add netters, hand weapon armed Gobbos and alternative command pieces.

I also think that 6 Skull Passes are way too much for any purpose. I collected a Night Goblin two years ago and didn't find any use for more than 2 boxes. I think I ended up buying 2 Skull Pass and 3 Night Goblin regiments for 3x25 Night Goblins with Spears, 2x25 with Hand Weapons and 2x24 with Short Bows. Of course, you might want larger units but my army was never completed nor played with.

willowdark
21-07-2009, 19:01
So what do you do with 220 plastic night gobblins with spears, 120 NG archers, 60 spider riders with lots of command groups?
For some reason i now have 6 BFSP box sets worth of gobbos! I do have 40 orc boys, a giant, a stone thrower, 2 bolt throwers, 1 charriot, 6 trolls, 4 bases snots, and some characters (inc warboss on wyvern) but I'm really lost for ideas with the sheer number of night gobbos I'm saddled with!!!
Does anyone have some good ideas - i'm not looking forward to painting them either, thats A LOT of greenskins!!!!

Buy a Doom Diver.

Enjoy!

Marshal Torrick
21-07-2009, 22:10
You could make a line of goblins waiting to ride the Doom Diver! Maybe the multi-part ones would work better...make them fighting or cutting in line and stuff. That'd be great!

sulla
21-07-2009, 22:57

4 units of largely disposable goblins is usually a good way to start any O&G army. Up to you how much you you want to invest in in each unit. I'd probably tool up two with command and netters and leave 2 completely naked. I'd only use the archers if your enemy frequently uses large targets; that's about the only time you will get much value out of them. For the spider riders, that many would make an awesome themed army but with that many ranked spears, you probably don't need fast cav.

Unfortunately, Skull Pass goblins are rarely an impressive sight. If you use the models as they are, the units look very boring and static.

Can't say I agree with you. Plus, they have a major advantage over most metal and multipart plastic units in that they rank up perfectly.

Schmapdi
22-07-2009, 03:53

The first step towards reasonable looking units is to cut the tabs and glue the goblins in slightly different angles. The second step is to get some Night Goblin regiments and add netters, hand weapon armed Gobbos and alternative command pieces.

I also think that 6 Skull Passes are way too much for any purpose. I collected a Night Goblin two years ago and didn't find any use for more than 2 boxes. I think I ended up buying 2 Skull Pass and 3 Night Goblin regiments for 3x25 Night Goblins with Spears, 2x25 with Hand Weapons and 2x24 with Short Bows. Of course, you might want larger units but my army was never completed nor played with.

I disagree - I've finished my first Skull Pass unit, and I think it looks pretty spiffy. The dwarves aren't as nice (since they have 0 variety in their poses).

But I also agree - I think it's silly when people take 3+ sets of the skull pass/black reach armies and call it a day. They look far better when mixed in with the normal sets.

Jind_Singh
22-07-2009, 05:07
ah dont fear on that score!
It all started because I bought skullpass - and then someone wanted the dwarves in exchange for the greenskins - no sweat as though I like their fluff I'm not a stunty fan (apart from in war of the ring, they the only army i play!).
then someone GAVE me a free set of the greenies from skullpass - how u say no to that?!
then my mate came up to me and said he had 3 sets worth of greenies, would i want to buy them?
How can i say no to that?
But i did (a long time ago before someone drained all the $$$ from my bank account) buy 2 boxes of orc boyz, 2 giants, 2 bolt throwers, a stone chuka, 5 squig hoppers, 4 bases snottlings, and a few character models - so it's an O & G army!
but theres still so much to get, so much i need!
netters
gobbo chariots
lotsa wolf boyz
infact all the troop choices available in the book as they are all amazing! My long-term goal is to take it to 10,000 points, broken into themed chunks (Night gobbos, orcs, savage orcs, reg. gobbos, black orcs, forest gobbos - i wonder if there are still old metal forest gobbos available???)

Schmapdi
22-07-2009, 05:18
Erm what I meant there Jind is mixing your starter set units with normal units of the same model.

For instance, I'm adding 2 Night Goblin Regiment Boxes (probably 3 eventually) to mix in with my Skull Pass Gobbos. Adding some netters from the boxes, as well as some spearman in the first two rows and then mixing them for the rest.

I plan to do the same thing with the Dwarves from the set (who need it more, since they aren't as nice) too eventually, 80 years from now... when I get around to them.

Jind_Singh
22-07-2009, 05:25
my bad lad, my wife made me go for a walk this evening and my brain hasnt returned to norm yet - i mean walks? do i look like a dog? why would any sane person want to go for a walk when u can watch people do that ON TV!!!!
lol, yes i 100% agree, my master plan is to mix in the actual NG regiment boxes with skull pass, and i also agree 110%, the NG from skull pass are actually VERY full of character, i mean...3 poses with spears! THREE! ANd its a once piece model!
Ah, cant wait for new edition of WFB , im praying it's empire/orcs/OK or DoC as those are my 4 armies, and who wouldnt want a starter set in that! Maybe brets are ok too as i've always liked them, just never keen on painting heraldary!

Condottiere
22-07-2009, 07:08
Imagine how long the reach of your Goblin Fanatic sling will be - no one will be safe.

Nephilim of Sin
22-07-2009, 09:23
What to do? Why, just join the Tale of Fantasy Painters! :p

Seriously, if you don't want to have to think about painting that all at once, the Tale gives you a year (well, 10 months of painting) to do a 2000 pt. army. I am actually doing a Night Gobbo horde with the Tale (120 w/ spear, 60 w/sd, 7 Squig teams and a few minor things).

@jullevi: I actually have to disagree with you there, only because I personally think all of the current NG plastics are 'unimpressive', and I really cannot tell a big difference between the BfSP gobbos and the ones that I have from normal sets (and the majority of what I have are not BfSP). These are nothing like the crappy monopose Orcs we had from 6th, when there was a more 'dynamic' boxset out(even if the monopose ones did have some of the best bodies, heads, and weapons...). Netters do make a difference, but that is only to the front rank. The rest, being so small, just look the same to me.

jullevi
22-07-2009, 12:51
Can't say I agree with you. Plus, they have a major advantage over most metal and multipart plastic units in that they rank up perfectly.

That is actually my only gripe with Skull Pass Night Goblins. They rank up too perfectly. I prefer Night Goblins from the regiment set because they have no tab under their feet and you can choose in which angle to glue them on base. This is why I cut the tabs on my Skull Pass Goblins, as I don't want them to look like an uniform regiment. Even small alterations will make the units look better in larger scale.

That being said, I still like Skull Pass Night Goblin models. They are well scuplted, have enough variety in poses and are 100% identical in style as regiment NGobbos. I have no problems using them to make the majority of models in Spear and Short bow units, but I find them best when mixed with regiment Night Gobbos. But then again, I have always been more of an modeller than a gamer.