PDA

View Full Version : Charging into a flank and fleeing

Rockgut
20-07-2009, 17:39
I am hoping for some clarification regarding charging a large, long unit in the flank. For example, a Brettonian lance formation with 9 knights (3x3).

According to the rules, if I were to charge the lance in the side, it would pivot on center directly away from the front of my unit. In this situation, the back of the lance formation would then be moved much closer to my charging unit (pretty much a cavalry base length) because of the pivot.

Does it then move the flee distance from that point? If so, I would get an advantage in being able to run them down as I would be closer to the unit when pursuit is measured then I was when I declared the charge.

This appears to be how it should be played according to the rulebook, but I wanted to make sure.

Please let me know if this is not clear. Thanks.

Gazak Blacktoof
20-07-2009, 17:41
That is correct. Youn still have to be close or else have a long charge range anyway as they flee 3D6", an average of 10.5" .

EvC
20-07-2009, 17:49
I wonder if you were 1" from the Bretonnian unit, would their initial pivot on the spot mean their destruction if your charging unit was US5, as it would touch them as they flee :D

Drachen_Jager
20-07-2009, 17:50
You clearly havent read all of the rules on breaking from combat :P

He's not talking about breaking from combat, the question was about charging.

RTFQ

Condottiere
21-07-2009, 07:56
He's not talking about breaking from combat, the question was about charging.

RTFQIf they break, they don't pivot, they run. For administrative purposes, they're allowed to keep their formation while fleeing helter skelter over the heath.

T10
21-07-2009, 10:43
I am hoping for some clarification regarding charging a large, long unit in the flank. For example, a Brettonian lance formation with 9 knights (3x3).

The corect procedure for moving a fleeing unit is...

1. Pivot.
2. Move.

The charging unit then just needs to make contact with the fleeing unit in order to destroy it.

So, yeah. Wide or long units that pivot tend to dramatically alter their distance to other units.

-T10

warap
21-07-2009, 15:48
yeah well.... you could play VC then and forget about it....

EvC
21-07-2009, 15:50
Not really, as making enemy units flee is one of the best ways to win, and you'll want to make sure you're doing it right ;)

Da GoBBo
21-07-2009, 18:00
I thought units fled in skirmishformation.

edit:
-you roll flee distance
-you roll pursuit distance
-if the 2nd roll is equall or higher you destroyed the unit, if ye rolled lower, the unit survives
-fleeing unit that survived abandon formation
-pursueing units move their distance.

This suggests the back of a fleeing unit is that many inches away from the pursueing units as the difference in the rolls, no matter what their original positions.

Chipacabra
21-07-2009, 18:10
That's more or less the procedure for pursuit, but charging a fleeing enemy is slightly different. To catch a fleeing enemy when charging, you just need to make contact, the exact numbers rolled don't matter.

Only units in skirmish formation flee in skirmish formation.

Da GoBBo
21-07-2009, 18:27
Ah yes, I understand the question now, and what a broken formation means. The OP seems to be dead on.