PDA

View Full Version : September mystery release[Closed]

Sabbad
20-07-2009, 19:33
Ok, I'm sure a thread about this already exists somewhere... but I couldn't find it in any rumour discussion forums and, well, it's kind of difficult to know what to search for...

I was in a GW store today, and the staffers were cutting some mini-poster things out of printer paper, to use as in-store decor at some point. The decor was a plain black background with the white words "Coming in September" and then a great big question mark underneath.

Apparently...and this is coming from staffers so potentially take it with mountainous grains of salt...

There is some huge release coming in September.

It will be priced at around 60.

It is not for 40K, WHFB, or LotR. It seems to be an entirely different games system, all contained in one box.

Nobody seems to know what it is. The store manager said he asked GW's director of retail and even he didn't know yet.

The mystery box will have one "print" run and then not be run again. Once it sells out it is gone.

Apparently it ISN'T Space Hulk, or at least not in a form we'd recognise.

My guesses are either Gorkamorka OR (bit left field) Dark Future. Or something entirely new.

Apologies again for what it almost inevitably a repeat thread...

Bregalad
20-07-2009, 20:34
Well, after even the official monthly news poster shows the September WD with the "top secret release" cover, most Warseers know about this, although nobody revealed it officially.

Here the Space Hulk theory thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190244
Here the other secret box thread:
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206913

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 08:48
...the official monthly news poster shows the September WD with the "top secret release" cover...
This an in-store poster Breg? Got a pic? :)

Bregalad
21-07-2009, 09:25
This an in-store poster Breg? Got a pic? :)
No, I ate my camera after the last pic I posted ;)
But the cover is just the WD title, black background and "top secret release" or something like this written over it in Imperial letters.

Earl_UK
21-07-2009, 11:00
Space hulk or a new Bloodbowl to go along with the computer game.

Maybe not bloodbowl as releasing a board game at the same time as the Computer game would make way to much sense for GW

blongbling
21-07-2009, 12:00
its the new space hulk...new models and all that

Lord Malorne
21-07-2009, 12:02
According to BoLS it ain't.

Fenrir
21-07-2009, 12:27
It's a Bugmans game, which doesn't sound very exciting.

ashc
21-07-2009, 12:41

I thought the Bugman's game already existed, you just had to have some mates, be over 18 and go to a pub....? :eyebrows:

Satan
21-07-2009, 12:42

Care to elaborate?

DarthSte
21-07-2009, 13:02
The Bugmans game is featured in the brand new White Dwarf, not out in the shops yet. But I thought that the "secret box" was still under wraps.
I didn't read about the Bugmans thing as it looked a bit well, **i*.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 13:04
No, I ate my camera after the last pic I posted ;)

LOL! :D

But the cover is just the WD title, black background and "top secret release" or something like this written over it in Imperial letters.
Ah, okay. Is it a shiny in-store poster like the Games Day promo or just a cheap 'n' nasty photocopy?

It's going to be an interesting race to see if an earlybird/leaked White Dwarf or Games Day reveal/leak will be first!

According to BoLS it ain't.

You mean "according to the WarSeer-member-who-can't-spell-that-BoLS-based-their-news-item-on it ain't".

The BoLS Corporate actually reckon this:

My money is still on Space Hulk, but who can say?
BoLS is a terrible, terrible source to base rumour "facts" on. It's a starting point, it is not the end point.

Lord Malorne
21-07-2009, 13:48
Don't see how it could be Space Hulk and I hope it is not, being supposedly limited, I wouldn't want it to be a LE Space hulk.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:01
Don't see how it could be Space Hulk and I hope it is not, being supposedly limited, I wouldn't want it to be a LE Space hulk.
Just out of curiosity, i.e. I'm not being merely argumentative or adversarial, why can't you see how it could be Space Hulk?

The mystery release is indeed Limited Edition, GW have said so (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3722565#post3722565), let alone some WarSeer punk. A lot of people don't want a Limited Edition Space Hulk, but well, we don't always get what we want in this world. And has been pointed out a number of times in a number of different threads, there are plenty of ways they can re-release it in another form sometime down the track. I'm not saying they are going to do that, but the opportunity is there nonetheless.

loveless
21-07-2009, 14:07
It's a board game that matches the GW staff against Warhammer players.

The players get special Whine and AngryLetter dice to roll their attacks.
The staff combats this with NewModel and PriceRaise dice.

The staff's goal is to stop the players from ascending the GW Tower of Gloom.
The players' goal is to take out the staff member on each floor of the GW Tower of Gloom and replace them with a special "WotC Figure".

It's stated that if the players win, the staff has to buy them drinks. If the staff wins, the players have to buy them drinks - and give each staff member an extra fiver to represent the final price increase.

...or it could be Space Hulk or something more sane.

:p

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:14
Well I was hoping this thread wouldn't devolve into silliness. :rolleyes:

ashc
21-07-2009, 14:15
Wouldn't it being Space Hulk go against the 'it's something new and not done before' thing they keep saying?

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:19
Wouldn't it being Space Hulk go against the 'it's something new and not done before' thing they keep saying?
But who is this "they" though? ;) Do you know?

I haven't heard that from any "they" I trust.

ashc
21-07-2009, 14:20
Generally it has been said by a number of posters from various GW-staff members.

I realise that's not anything concrete, but it has come from a number of people.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:22
Generally it has been said by a number of posters from various GW-staff members.

I realise that's not anything concrete, but it has come from a number of people.
Who though? Every time I've heard that mentioned it's been complete hearsay, or people quoting BoLS... who just got it from a lone WarSeer member.

BaloOrk
21-07-2009, 14:23
I am more annoyed than exited about all this "hush hush" thingy, none the less, i have saved money for this, im definetly gonna buy it, if it`s Space Hulk/Warhammer Quest.
I cant think of anything else, would love a new release of Necromunda, but that and Mordheim is still for sale...

ashc
21-07-2009, 14:23
Well, exactly, its all hearsay and conjecture, as usual with rumour.

Which is why generally I avoid the rumours forums on this site, I can't be bothered with the gnashing, wailing and grief it causes from a game of toy soldiers.

I would like to see Warhammer Quest more than Space Hulk, but it won't be that. :)

loveless
21-07-2009, 14:26
Well I was hoping this thread wouldn't devolve into silliness. :rolleyes:

I just find the impatience silly, really.
If it's released in September, we should see it in September's White Dwarf. Some people already have August's White Dwarf, meaning that there's less than a month to find out what it is.

The build-up is going to make or break the project for GW.

Every thread that raises expectation for Space Hulk or some new boxed game sets the bar a little higher for GW. Seeing as how they've already completed said "mystery project" - well, I'm betting we've already set the bar too high.

Frankly, if it's not compatible with one of their current systems, I definitely won't buy it for the cost that's being advertised. It's too much to spend on a one-off for me in this hobby.

The weird combination of hope and bile that this is creating in the customer base is just making me think that we're going to hear a grand chorus of "...THAT's it?!" followed by exasperated sighs come mid-August or so.

I'd rather we think of some way to keep expectations on the low side as a preventative action against mass disappointment.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:31
Well, exactly, its all hearsay and conjecture, as usual with rumour.
That's why it's best to go with official Games Workshop press releases... and not a one of them has mentioned "never been done before". ;)

I just find the impatience silly, really.
If it's released in September, we should see it in September's White Dwarf. Some people already have August's White Dwarf, meaning that there's less than a month to find out what it is.

The build-up is going to make or break the project for GW.

Every thread that raises expectation for Space Hulk or some new boxed game sets the bar a little higher for GW. Seeing as how they've already completed said "mystery project" - well, I'm betting we've already set the bar too high.

Frankly, if it's not compatible with one of their current systems, I definitely won't buy it for the cost that's being advertised. It's too much to spend on a one-off for me in this hobby.

The weird combination of hope and bile that this is creating in the customer base is just making me think that we're going to hear a grand chorus of "...THAT's it?!" followed by exasperated sighs come mid-August or so.

I'd rather we think of some way to keep expectations on the low side as a preventative action against mass disappointment.

All true (except for the make or break part) but I just hate seeing posts banging on about stuff that is wrong. ;)

Lord Malorne
21-07-2009, 14:33
In that case, what is right?

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:39
In that case, what is right?

Released in September.

Big box game.

Limited Edition.

At the moment there is nothing like it.

Will be first revealed at Games Day Germany on August 16th, then on the GW website on the 17th, then in White Dwarf... unless one of those sources or another leaks early of course! ;)

loveless
21-07-2009, 14:40
The way I read it, we have no evidence that it isn't Space Hulk. We also have no evidence that it is Space Hulk.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. As such, it's incorrect to say it definitely isn't Space Hulk, but it's also incorrect to say it definitely is Space Hulk.

In other words - don't rule anything out yet.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:43
The way I read it, we have no evidence that it isn't Space Hulk. We also have no evidence that it is Space Hulk.

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. As such, it's incorrect to say it definitely isn't Space Hulk, but it's also incorrect to say it definitely is Space Hulk.

In other words - don't rule anything out yet.
Exactly right! And just be careful before putting too much trust in hearsay. Choose wisely. ;)

ashc
21-07-2009, 14:44
And just be careful before putting too much trust in hearsay.

They were a rubbish band anyway.

Wow, this thread is as pointless as all other mystery box/space hulk threads.

loveless
21-07-2009, 14:49
Wow, this thread is as pointless as all other mystery box/space hulk threads.

That's rather my view of it.
GW has done a good job of keeping it hush-hush. However, they were too bloody stupid to be able to just keep their mouths shut.

They shouldn't have even announced a mystery release.
Since no one knows about it, they should have just...you know...released it. Out of the blue. None of this build-up crap that's just going to make it come crashing down around their heads.

They're inviting conjecture, which in turn raises customer expecation, which in turn greatly increases their chances of failure in the eyes of the consumer.

This whole "ordeal" makes me think of the Family Guy episode where Peter chooses the Mystery Box over the boat. The Mystery Box could be anything - it could even be a boat! You know how much we've wanted one of those!

ashc
21-07-2009, 14:50
This whole "ordeal" makes me think of the Family Guy episode where Peter chooses the Mystery Box over the boat. The Mystery Box could be anything - it could even be a boat! You know how much we've wanted one of those!

This will be exactly like that.

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 14:54
To be honest I find all the "mystery" hype utterly baffling. I frankly don't see the point, especially with a Limited Edition that's going to sell out anyway. All the misinformation too that is spread from the blatant rumourmongering is just plain painful to read.

Lord Malorne
21-07-2009, 14:59
Or a wacky way to see what people want... really wacky.

loveless
21-07-2009, 15:05
Or a wacky way to see what people want... really wacky.

Ha, there you go. GW has a dozen complete projects waiting in the wings. Whichever one people hype up the most gets released.

That's why it's limited to 20K copies. They made several things of only 20K each, but only one gets put out.

Obviously, I'm kidding, but it seems as likely as anything else people have speculated.

Cane
21-07-2009, 15:15
C'mon Inquisitor-scaled Praetorians and Squats!

DarthSte
21-07-2009, 15:39
Oooh. A squat army...

Scryer in the Darkness
21-07-2009, 15:40
The only thing the "hype" has done has made me interested in where it will actually end up being revealed first. It's a nice idea to officially have it at Games Day Germany, but earlybird White Dwarf's have been known to hit some mailboxes around the 10th of the month... so it will be interesting to see if GW put special restrictions in place to hold off the magazine distributors on that front. Things also show up on the GW website early sometimes before officially going live, not to mention e-mail newsletters getting sent out on the wrong date. And then there is whichever printers are doing up the Games Day tshirts which will feature the "secret" design. Right now somewhere in (presumably) Germany, somebody has the design sitting on their computer.

We should run a pool. :)

Cane
21-07-2009, 15:51
Hmm I wonder if GW might be looking to boost their historical gaming department.

Seems like its a good chunk of the wargaming market that GW doesn't have much of a hold on.

New Cult King
21-07-2009, 16:09
I wonder how many copies constitutes a limited run? If it's Space Hulk I hope there's enough around for me to grab a box. If not, I don't really care :D

spaint2k
21-07-2009, 16:11
Somebody in another thread said that Chess appeared on the GW website for a minute or two before being removed.

Steve

New Cult King
21-07-2009, 16:12
Hah a 40K/Fantasy chess set. Nice.

GraemePaul
21-07-2009, 16:27
If it turns out to be a 40K/Fatasy themed chess set I cant wait to read the epic levels of Nerd rage that will appear here!

I for one am in the 'wait and see' camp. personally I hope it is Space Hulk however I had a thought:

'Warhammer 40K Quest'

Think about it :D

Lord of Worms
21-07-2009, 16:36
I thought the Bugman's game already existed, you just had to have some mates, be over 18 and go to a pub....? :eyebrows:

19 over here across the pond...:rolleyes:

Netherghoul
21-07-2009, 16:48
then it must be...

a Space Hulk chess set!

Bregalad
21-07-2009, 16:55
Ah, okay. Is it a shiny in-store poster like the Games Day promo or just a cheap 'n' nasty photocopy?
It's the shiny German in-store poster for August, you know the famous one where they mixed up the text boxes for Demolisher and Hellhound variants ;)

antin3
21-07-2009, 17:00
GW doesn't need to "Build up hype" for anything they release. It won't hurt sales at all. In a real word, with real competition then yes they would want to build up a buzz so that it will get their customers talking about their product over all of the other companies products. But seeing as GW has zero competition they can do whatever they want and despite all of the whining and guessing and wondering whatever it is will sell out.

rich1231
21-07-2009, 17:20
Space Marine Helmet with Bluetooth headset.

Sgt_Reco
21-07-2009, 17:27
My vote would have to be a no on Space Hulk. GW is in the business of making money, so why limit the number of sales and cash that they could make with Space Hulk. It was a great game back in the day and tons of people want it back. I do like the idea of the chess set, that would be cool, but you could make one yourself. Have Chaplains as bishops, Terminators as rooks, Assault Marines as Knights..etc

Lord_Dante
21-07-2009, 17:49
My vote would have to be a no on Space Hulk. GW is in the business of making money, so why limit the number of sales and cash that they could make with Space Hulk. It was a great game back in the day and tons of people want it back. I do like the idea of the chess set, that would be cool, but you could make one yourself. Have Chaplains as bishops, Terminators as rooks, Assault Marines as Knights..etc

Who is to say we don't get limited edition and then a normal one? Just like GW to release a special edition that people pay loads for then release something cheaper down the line :) They'd make more money than if they mentioned a normal release was going to be a couple of months after.

My 2p :D

Burnthem
21-07-2009, 19:53
Oh man, if it was a Chess set i would fly away in my ROFLCOPTER.

(Would still buy one though.....)

loveless
21-07-2009, 21:18
But seeing as GW has zero competition

How's that kool-aid? ;)

GW has the highest selling non-collectible miniature line (that's a mouthful) - 40K.

The second GW item on that list is ranked 5th - Warhammer Fantasy.

What does that mean for slots 2, 3, and 4? That would be GW's competition ;)

Those are winter numbers - spring's haven't been released yet from what I can tell, so it could have shifted a bit.

Link (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14724.html)

son of pigmar
21-07-2009, 21:24
realy like the sound of a chess set let hope so:)

antin3
21-07-2009, 21:50
loveless-what are the 2,3 and 4th on the list?

ashc
21-07-2009, 21:53
Follow Loveless's link, its Hordes, Warmachine and Dark heaven from Reaper.

only joking...
21-07-2009, 22:08
"chess set"

:eyebrows:

Well I might just wet my pants in anticipation...

Bael
22-07-2009, 00:15
How's that kool-aid? ;)

GW has the highest selling non-collectible miniature line (that's a mouthful) - 40K.

The second GW item on that list is ranked 5th - Warhammer Fantasy.

What does that mean for slots 2, 3, and 4? That would be GW's competition ;)

Those are winter numbers - spring's haven't been released yet from what I can tell, so it could have shifted a bit.

Link (http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14724.html)

Going OT a bit here but those figures are based on 'interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers', not sales figures.

I hope the mystery release is either Space Hulk or Warhammer Quest. Based on rumours so far it looks like it is pretty certain to be Space Hulk.

antin3
22-07-2009, 01:21
I would like to see actual sales figures, I would bet that they would show different. But I am judging from what I see in my area.

loveless
22-07-2009, 03:11
Going OT a bit here but those figures are based on 'interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers', not sales figures.

I hope the mystery release is either Space Hulk or Warhammer Quest. Based on rumours so far it looks like it is pretty certain to be Space Hulk.

They reflect sales, however. The interview probably just consists of them listing what they sell primarily (retailers and distributors) as well as actual sales figures (manufacturers).

Solid sales ($$$) figures are not quite as relevant due to the variation in cost per miniature *shrugs*

I'm betting the "mystery" is something out of left field. It would make more sense.

snurl
22-07-2009, 04:39
Zoats vs. Fimir chess set?

Tarax
22-07-2009, 07:33
At the moment there is nothing like it.

Goldswords actually made out of gold? :angel:

Or maybe it's a limited edition of Space Hulk, accompanying the re-release of the game, whereby the LE has all those special stuff people have mentioned, like full-plastic, battery-operated doors, etc? :eek:

Griefbringer
22-07-2009, 08:42
Perhaps a new version of one of the old troll games?

Jedi152
22-07-2009, 08:48
It'll be Space Hulk.

DarthSte
22-07-2009, 09:52
If they release 20,000 of them, just how "limited" is that in GW terms? Does anybody know how many of the Mines of Moria set has sold over the last few years since it's release, approximately?

blongbling
22-07-2009, 12:01
i say again, its Space Hulk.........

Chris_Tzeentch
22-07-2009, 12:13
I smell disappointment....

Griefbringer
22-07-2009, 12:33
If they release 20,000 of them, just how "limited" is that in GW terms?

I think their estimate at some point was that they have around 750,000 active customers, worldwide.

You can judge the accuracy of this estimate by dividing their annual revenue (as given in the annual financial report - next one is to be published in near future) by the estimated number of customers to get an average annual sales per active customer.

loveless
22-07-2009, 13:27
Have we fallen back to "Assault on Black Reach & Battle for Skull Pass cast in chocolate" yet?

I still think that would be a fun one-off...eat your opponent!

Actually, Warhammer-shaped snack-food would probably sell...they have Warcraft Mountain Dew, after all.

blongbling
22-07-2009, 13:35
20,000 of a major core game isnt that many and would be quite a tight launch. If you work on an average store selling about 25 of a new game version and having 350 stores that comes out about 8750 depending on the game (40k more, LotR less).

Add onto that 3000 indie retailers across the globe taking on average about 2 per store (allowing for the split between Elite and toy stores and stores not ordering it) and that throws in another potential 6k copies on the low end.

That would be a ballpark figure for a ok release on the weekend of launch...then you would need the stock to keep that going for a few months and also any high street distribution that they might have gone for (not that GW does this anyway)

All numbers are from what i can recall from when i have done launches for GW

blongbling
22-07-2009, 13:35
Have we fallen back to "Assault on Black Reach & Battle for Skull Pass cast in chocolate" yet?

I still think that would be a fun one-off...eat your opponent!

Actually, Warhammer-shaped snack-food would probably sell...they have Warcraft Mountain Dew, after all.

Workshop did get approached once to put special models into Kindereggs

Jedi152
22-07-2009, 13:55
Really? Maybe that says something about their perceived market...

loveless
22-07-2009, 14:04
Games Workshop Chocolate - now with a safer plastic center!*

*Metal center still available in character chocolates.

---

I keep hoping it's not Space Hulk for GW's sake. I just don't think they'll live up to the expectations of their customers on that project - especially if it's a limited run for the rumoured price.

colmarekblack
22-07-2009, 15:05
Doubt it'll be Warhammer Quest despite me hoping. Spacehulk has pretty much been confirmed but no release date (as far as I know).

Most likely a board game along the line of the chaos gods one released not long ago.

antin3
22-07-2009, 15:12
It would seem to me with all of the Space Hulk rumors that it would be Space Hulk but why would GW re-release it like this? Why the black box and all the secrecy. If it is SH then I am sure some people will be let down unless they have done something totally out of left field with it.

Cherrystone
22-07-2009, 17:12
20,000 of a major core game isnt that many and would be quite a tight launch. If you work on an average store selling about 25 of a new game version and having 350 stores that comes out about 8750 depending on the game (40k more, LotR less).

Add onto that 3000 indie retailers across the globe taking on average about 2 per store (allowing for the split between Elite and toy stores and stores not ordering it) and that throws in another potential 6k copies on the low end.

Has it been confirmed (rumoured!!) that what ever it is wont be availiable online and only from shops?

thenamelessdead
22-07-2009, 19:03
I've heard it'll be Space Hulk so I'm sticking with that.

ashc
22-07-2009, 19:04
If it is Space Hulk, why make it such a limited release?

I'm not necessarily doubting it, just wonder what people think.

N810
22-07-2009, 19:21
Well maybe it's Space Hulk AND Warhammer Quest. :p

x-esiv-4c
22-07-2009, 19:26
Space quest!
or
Warhammer hulk!

ashc
22-07-2009, 19:27
Oh, is it WarSpace Hulkhammer Quest! :D

TheBigBadWolf
22-07-2009, 19:48
Im saying spacehulk, but I dont think it will be the limited release rumour that everybody was talking about, it just didnt make any sense, fro a sprue casting cost view.

I dont know why they just dont come out and say its space hulk, it would whip up so much more interest and hysteria.

N810
22-07-2009, 19:49
or maybe it's Warhammer Quest VS. Space Hulk :p

Pistols At Dawn
22-07-2009, 20:01

If it was The Hulk, the first 10 000 copies, or whatever, might be some fancy limited collectors edition (didn't 5th ed have something similar?). Then the regular edition would take up the slack. That's my theory anyway?

loveless
22-07-2009, 20:48
or maybe it's Warhammer Quest VS. Space Hulk :p

Hmm...a mixing of 40K and Fantasy...

I call Terminators v. Clanrats.

Condottiere
22-07-2009, 21:49
No, an old unexpected guest make an appearance, Terminators versus Clan Warriors.

Bregalad
23-07-2009, 01:07
It would seem to me with all of the Space Hulk rumors that it would be Space Hulk but why would GW re-release it like this? Why the black box and all the secrecy. If it is SH then I am sure some people will be let down unless they have done something totally out of left field with it.

Sometimes, the GW management has this childish game:
"What would be the dumbest thing to do in this situation?"
Then they all chuckle and just do it!

Happened with closing down BI when their newest product sold out before release and jumped to rank 27 on Amazon.
Happened when they doubled the price for the gaming board after announcing the original price.
Happened when they fixed the price for goldswords just after announcing how cheap future plastic releases will be in relation to metal miniatures.
Happened when they retracted the Blood Bowl board game from stores exactly at the release of the PC game.
Happens now when they release the long awaited and urgently needed introductory game for 40k: Make it limited and keep it secret.:rolleyes:

Wicksy
23-07-2009, 19:28
It'll be Space Hulk.

I hope so! I'll be first in line at my local store for a copy!

Cacodemon
24-07-2009, 07:53
I hope it's a boardgame where Tilean Conquistadors fight against Cathayan poisonous flying Spider Monkeys.

Condottiere
24-07-2009, 08:32
I would have assumed Conquistadors come from Estalia.

IAMNOTHERE
24-07-2009, 08:38
If it's just "Space Hulk" then meh - I've got a copy already that sees use including painted termies and stealers. It's the support that goes with it that I'd want, rules for different races so I could go craft world bashing with my Chaos Termies etc.

I'd prefer to see a re release of Adeptus Titanicus - just titans, none of that infantry rubbish I want an Engine War!

Bloodknight
24-07-2009, 08:47

Aren't these US only "numbers"? I think the US market works differently from other markets like Europe, where Fantasy seems to be a lot more popular.

Cacodemon
24-07-2009, 10:07
I would have assumed Conquistadors come from Estalia.

And right you are. But the flying poisonous Spider Monkeys are from Cathay for sure.

Condottiere
24-07-2009, 11:10
If Dorothy drops in, you'll be wrong about that too.

pjklan
24-07-2009, 12:25
Happens now when they release the long awaited and urgently needed introductory game for 40k: Make it limited and keep it secret.:rolleyes:

AHEM..... gentlemen.....
did anyone notice that bregalad has just told us what it is?
the new introductory game for 40k.

@ bregalad:
would you please elaborate a little more?

DarthSte
24-07-2009, 12:35
AHEM..... gentlemen.....

@ bregalad:

Um. He may have meant the rumour about Space Hulk...?

pjklan
24-07-2009, 12:44
i don't see space hulk as an "introductory game". do you?

ashc
24-07-2009, 12:47
Or of course Bregalad was invoking the almighty power of sarcasm in regards to some of GW's less-than-stellar business decisions in recent years...

...A one-off, ltd. edition INTRODUCTORY game? :p

Burnthem
24-07-2009, 12:49
And since when does 40K need an introductory game? 40K is the introductory game for everything else GW does.....

pjklan
24-07-2009, 12:52
you know, you guys are not very kind on me.... :D

IAMNOTHERE
24-07-2009, 12:55
Bregs got a reputation of naysaying GWs business decisions of late. He's insisting that Space Hulk will be brought out as an introductory game.

Which makes sense if you're not working for GW. No one actually knows what this secter box is yet.

DarthSte
24-07-2009, 13:07
i don't see space hulk as an "introductory game". do you?

I played Space Hulk (original 1st Edition) before I played 40K (original 1st edition). It introduced me to the miniatures and such.

loveless
24-07-2009, 13:19
AHEM..... gentlemen.....

@ bregalad:

Good lord, we don't need another one of bregalad's posts crying out about how GW isn't doing what he would do in their situation.

He's just working off the assumptions that
1) The mystery release is Space Hulk
2) Neo-Space Hulk is going to be an introductory game

He pops in on all of the threads like this and mentions it. It's nothing new, and it's nothing that lets us in on the secret.

Though it is sort of fun to see him go off the handle sometimes :p

Condottiere
24-07-2009, 13:22
It's plausible, you restrict the options for movements to cut down on disputes, and have a range of Space Marine figures.

I always wondered why no other race ever tried taking out a Space Hulk? Maybe this time, there will be expansions.

N810
24-07-2009, 13:35
Come on GW ....
WHFB needs some lovin' too. :(

loveless
24-07-2009, 13:51
Come on GW ....
WHFB needs some lovin' too. :(

True, but they'll sell more with a limited edition 40K set than they will with a limited edition WHFB set.

However, I thought there was a rumour that the mystery box was system independent? I may have made that up, so don't quote me on it.

yabbadabba
24-07-2009, 15:09
Man O War.

BigBadBull
24-07-2009, 16:01
Next year has been stated numerous times to be a WHFB heavy year, kinda like this year was going to be WH40K heavy....

doghouse
24-07-2009, 16:40
I'm hoping it isn't space hulk, I love that game and the thought of not being able to get hold of a copy because I can't get to a store in time is a bit of a let down.

On the other hand I'm hoping it's not something lame. I can imagine a lot of people taking advantage of this situation and buying multiple copies to bung on ebay which kind of defeats the object.

only joking...
24-07-2009, 18:14
I heard that GW staff are limited to one box per person...

x-esiv-4c
24-07-2009, 18:58
Judging by the number of units for sale by some people, it'll probably be more like 1 box per 100 people.

darkace77450
24-07-2009, 19:00
GW has to do something with their IPs every once in a while or they will lose the rights to them. That is why we get an unsupported, half-arsed release of Talisman or Epic every once in a while. Just look to see which IP is about to lose its rights and you will be able to realistically narrow the mystery down to an educated guess.

Scryer in the Darkness
25-07-2009, 07:49
...September WD with the "top secret release" cover...
Here's the cover of September's White Dwarf as shown on the GW site, of note is that the file is named "Alt Cover". ;) So no surprise that they wouldn't leak their own mystery release early that way. ;) I wonder if we will actually get two different covers for September's White Dwarf.

BaloOrk
25-07-2009, 12:25
Sneaky gitz, that might sell a couple of WD`s. :)

Condottiere
25-07-2009, 15:06
Which would indicate a Chaos Dwarf revival.

Bregalad
25-07-2009, 17:06
Here's the cover of September's White Dwarf as shown on the GW site, of note is that the file is named "Alt Cover". ;) So no surprise that they wouldn't leak their own mystery release early that way. ;) I wonder if we will actually get two different covers for September's White Dwarf.
1.) I don't think that this cover has anything to do with the real September cover.
2.) Chaos Dwarf Sneaky Gits are Hobgoblin assassins and have nothing in common with those Ork brutes.

Condottiere
25-07-2009, 17:18
There's a rumour it's quidditch - which is absurd.

Griefbringer
25-07-2009, 17:27
There's a rumour it's quidditch - which is absurd.

I think quiche would make more sense - and Harry would like that!

scarletsquig
25-07-2009, 17:27
Chaos Dwarf Battalion.

rizla+
25-07-2009, 17:40
i think its trollz in the pantry 2!:D

bringerofdecay
25-07-2009, 17:45
i know it's a long shot but it could be epic related, the cessation of a large part of the forgeworld range could be followed by them being re-cast for mass production by GW with a limited release starter box.

just a postulation, my money is actually on space hulk (and i'd be happy as a sand boy if it were)

yabbadabba
25-07-2009, 18:01
i know it's a long shot but it could be epic related, the cessation of a large part of the forgeworld range could be followed by them being re-cast for mass production by GW with a limited release starter box.
just a postulation, my money is actually on space hulk (and i'd be happy as a sand boy if it were)

Ha ha ha ha ha! Seriously mate it would be awesome but I don't think so.

bringerofdecay
25-07-2009, 18:08
Ha ha ha ha ha! Seriously mate it would be awesome but I don't think so.

which is why my money's on space hulk ;) but if GW had half a braincell it would be my suggestion.

reds8n
26-07-2009, 19:00
Have people seen the T shirts the Uk stores have been sent ? Specifically for the August promotion.

Chaos symbol on the front, with a quote from "The voice of the Emperor" saying something along the lines of "Everything you have heard is a lie", and the back has an Imperial eagle on the back with a counterpoint/reply.

So something chaosy then --that was Cypher's nom de plume during the EoT was it not ?-- or, perhaps, is that a joke of sorts ?

t-tauri
26-07-2009, 19:04
There's a rumour it's quidditch - which is absurd.GW have made quidditch miniatures and a rules set as a trial to pitch to some JK Rowling related licence types. One of the sets leaked onto ebay about 10 months or so back...

Condottiere
26-07-2009, 19:10
From a marketing stand point, the time to release it would be June, before the Harry Potter film.

only joking...
26-07-2009, 19:11
Have people seen the T shirts the Uk stores have been sent ? Specifically for the August promotion.

Chaos symbol on the front, with a quote from "The voice of the Emperor" saying something along the lines of "Everything you have heard is a lie", and the back has an Imperial eagle on the back with a counterpoint/reply.

So something chaosy then --that was Cypher's nom de plume during the EoT was it not ?-- or, perhaps, is that a joke of sorts ?

My money is on Warhammer 30k :D

Jedi152
26-07-2009, 22:36
If it was anything to do with Harry Potter they'd have been hyping it for months.

only joking...
26-07-2009, 22:46
Agreed, they would have released it before the film as well surely...?

Grimstonefire
26-07-2009, 23:49
There is always the next film. I must admit I'm surprised about GW wanting to make a game system designed for school kiddies... No... wait a minute. :D

Condottiere
26-07-2009, 23:59
Also, you do tie-ins in the beginning of a series, not on it's deathbed.

Scryer in the Darkness
27-07-2009, 07:24

Chaos symbol on the front, with a quote from "The voice of the Emperor" saying something along the lines of "Everything you have heard is a lie"...

Such as all the GW staffers/reps (and Jervis) that have been saying it's NOT Space Hulk for the last couple of months? ;):D

Bregalad
27-07-2009, 07:41
If it was anything to do with Harry Potter they'd have been hyping it for months.

Agreed, they would have released it before the film as well surely...?
It is well known that GW doesn't believe in marketing, advertising or synergy effects with non-GW products. So this is no argument against a Potter game.

Funny thing is that I once tried to read a Potter novel but gave up after a 100 pages description of a boring Quidditch game (book 4). Fittingly this part of the novel was almost completely omitted in the movie ;)

Scryer in the Darkness
27-07-2009, 07:44
Funny thing is that I once tried to read a Potter novel but gave up after a 100 pages description of a boring Quidditch game (book 4). Fittingly this part of the novel was almost completely omitted in the movie ;)
They finally managed to nail portraying Quidditch in the latest film after truly dismal results in previous ones. All the past ones looked like laboured CGI/video games, but this one actually looked gritty and realistic.

blongbling
27-07-2009, 07:47
its not quidditch, lol.....Workshop has stated quite a few times that they wont do another license after the LoTR issues it had. Im not sure that would stretch to not doing the HObbit though, but they wont take in another set of movies for sure.

genestealer_baldric
27-07-2009, 08:06
trying to ignore the whole harry potter er it rhymes with... clucking bite thats everywhere

i have also seen the t shirt when the local staff member showed me he had a strange smirk on his face which lead to debate in store, this is excatley what they whant free hype.

As to the t-shirt "everything you know is a lie"

may be its refering to the realise schedule, or are we are going to get info on the two missing legions was the idea i like the most.

or one idea suggested is GW will end 40k like crossroads, the emperor wakes up and it was all a dream :p

Scryer in the Darkness
27-07-2009, 08:11
"Everything you have been told is a lie" is a catchphrase GW have used for the Inquisition (and specifically the Inquisitor game system) and is shorthand for "misdirection". Which I think is classic in this case. :D

isaac
27-07-2009, 08:14
I thought GW already did hobbit stuff? Battle of the five armies?

As to Harry Potter, I could see them doing a boardgame partnership or something similar, but they are running out of time with the movies. After the last movie comes out I can not see them doing anything with the franchise.

Satan
27-07-2009, 08:20
"Everything you have been told is a lie" is a catchphrase GW have used for the Inquisition (and specifically the Inquisitor game system) and is shorthand for "misdirection". Which I think is classic in this case. :D

Urgh. I repeat my hopes that it is in fact not Space Hulk... That just seems... underwhelming. Was never that big a fan. I think someone posted the link a while back but I haven't seen the list in this thread.

This was posted by TBD over at Dakkadakka:

An employee of GW, who isn't a red shirted one btw, told me today that he has already seen the actual product which is going to be in the secret box.

He did not tell anyone else, including his fellow GW workers, what the actual product will be because he does not want to lose his job, but he did give me the following information:

- It is NOT Space Hulk.

- It is made in China (he saw it in the Shanghai factory when he was there for work recently).

- It is something GW has done before, but nowhere near this good. This obviously means the previous claim that this will be something they have never done before is not true. Smells a bit like Space Hulk to me, despite their claims otherwise.

- There will be 30 miniatures in it (which smells a bit like Space Hulk numbers as well if you ask me).

- It will cost approximately 90,- Euro. Have we seen a price mentioned anywhere before?

- It can be used with existing GW product/miniatures as well as on it's own.

Of course I'm perfectly aware there is no guarantee this information is actually correct, so take all of this for what it's worth. I have been reading here for quite a while before I signed up, so I know the way a lot of people here think about a rumour like this, the credibility of similar rumours, and my own philosophy is "I'll believe it when it is actually confirmed by GW". However, I have no reason at all to believe this person was not telling me the truth, I don't know.

Scryer in the Darkness
27-07-2009, 08:34
Urgh. I repeat my hopes that it is in fact not Space Hulk... That just seems... underwhelming. Was never that big a fan. I think someone posted the link a while back but I haven't seen the list in this thread.
What list?

This was posted by TBD over at Dakkadakka:
That's an ooollllllllld rumour that came out early on in the "mystery box" rumour mills. Frankly I wouldn't trust anything posted on Dakka. The ratio of cowplops to grains of truth over there is just too high. ;)

Lewis
27-07-2009, 08:35
Advanced Space Crusade? I liked that game.

GraveGuard
27-07-2009, 08:52
Inquisitor 40K Scale (sort of a replacement Nercomunda)? Feasible?

ashc
27-07-2009, 08:59
Inquisitor 40K Scale (sort of a replacement Nercomunda)? Feasible?

Not when you can already use Inquisitor to play at 28mm using the current rules, plus it just wouldn't sell enough models from GW's point of view (the whole reason they have dropped support for those type of skirmish games in general).

tu33y
27-07-2009, 09:03
i wonder if its a battlefleet gothic type of game. that would fit in with planetstrike very nice as well as the planetry empires. and they do seem to be mentioning it alot in the WD's nowadays. plus it could be stand alone so it could be sold in argos and Toys r us.

maybe.

ashc
27-07-2009, 09:07
I don't think something like a BFG re-boot would have a wide enough appeal to make it worth doing.

warflag
27-07-2009, 09:20
Hmmh, no BFG type game, I think. 20k copies? Too big for that type of game. However, seeing 90 € or 60 pounds, as read somewhere else might explain the limited run ;) That price, if true, mind you, would make for a very limited success in the highstreet.

Wonder what it is, 30 minis at that price, considering AoBR and the WFB one bringing more minis but being cheaper?
Sounds very strange.

EmperorNorton
27-07-2009, 10:48
90€ for 30 minis, eh?
Limited release of 30 Greatswords at 8% discount!

only joking...
27-07-2009, 11:09
This mystery box thing is really getting to me, I even had a dream about it last night :D

Carlos
27-07-2009, 11:21
Its Space Hulk or possibly just Talisman.

Jedi152
27-07-2009, 11:23
Talisman has been out for months, if not a year. It was released by Fantasy Flight Games.

Hoarmurel
27-07-2009, 14:22
That's an ooollllllllld rumour that came out early on in the "mystery box" rumour mills. Frankly I wouldn't trust anything posted on Dakka. The ratio of cowplops to grains of truth over there is just too high. ;)

Is not true then?

only joking...
27-07-2009, 18:36
Well I guess not ;)

xerxeshavelock
27-07-2009, 19:16
This mystery box thing is really getting to me, I even had a dream about it last night :D

Nice!

According to XXXXXXXX the GW mgmt have been told "officially" they don't know what is in the box.

This suggests 2 things to me:

1)Some of them know - in which case who? And which are bribeable with beer?

2)GW are aware that speculation is rife, and are probably watching with interest.

Oneofmany
27-07-2009, 20:36
I would say it is Space hulk or 40K BloodBowl.

Thanks One:cool:

only joking...
27-07-2009, 21:02
Ohhhh 40k BloodBowl! :D

Condottiere
27-07-2009, 21:10
Bloodbowl has potential.

Dai-Mongar
27-07-2009, 21:20
I saw a mention of it being made in China on the last page. While possibly a non-romour, if true it could indicate pre-painted plastics. That's something they've never done before.

Sabbad
27-07-2009, 22:50
I can't see it being Blood Bowl or BFG for one simple reason - what would they put in the box? Don't both of them have nearly a dozen teams/fleets? They can't all go in the box, and we've been told it's a standalone product.

If everything we've been told is a lie, my money's on Space Hulk.

Or perhaps the lie is that there is no mystery box at all...

EDIT: Though if it's Inquisitor, it will be the most exciting news I've heard from GW since... erm... ever?

only joking...
27-07-2009, 23:39
If everything we've been told is a lie, my money's on Space Hulk.

Hang on if everything we have been told is a lie (all we have been told by most rumours/sources/liars/bloggers is that it is Space hulk) surely then the box is not Space Hulk ;)

Grumblebelly
28-07-2009, 01:23
Well so far it really sounds like it is 40k related, imperial writing on the posters and t-shirts. The main rumours are some sort of Space Hulk rework which will probably go by a different name.

My moneys on a Space hulk remake with guard, chaos, nids & orks.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/2009/03/rumors-space-hulk-chatter.html

snurl
28-07-2009, 05:15
I'm beginning to think that this rumor is false because I just read the August issue of WD and they make no mention of any suprise coming for September.

They do have a coming in Sept. ad for the new Azhag the Slaughterer model. Could this be the mystery release?

Ixquic
28-07-2009, 12:30
The mystery surprise is there's nothing. SURPRISE!

only joking...
28-07-2009, 12:51
The mystery surprise is there's nothing. SURPRISE!

Given the recent backlash against the goldswords in June, I doubt even GW would be stupid enough to do that. :rolleyes:

blongbling
28-07-2009, 13:01
its gonna be turnips

N810
28-07-2009, 13:14
Uhhh...
Bread.
Apples.
Very small rocks.
Cider.
Gravy.
Cherries.
Mud.
Churches.
Lead! Lead!

Condottiere
28-07-2009, 13:42
Does it have to be an independent game? Might be an add on.

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 15:14
Given the recent backlash against the goldswords in June, I doubt even GW would be stupid enough to do that. :rolleyes:
Well put it this way: What official news has anyone had of this surprise? Anything? Nope. Pure rumour.

There still could be nothing but smoke and mirrors. The forums are the people that have whipped up suspense from nowhere, not GW.

Llew
28-07-2009, 15:30
Well put it this way: What official news has anyone had of this surprise? Anything? Nope. Pure rumour.

There still could be nothing but smoke and mirrors. The forums are the people that have whipped up suspense from nowhere, not GW.

Whatever happened to the June Mystery Army...the one that GW had never done before and was so cool and had been kept completely secret?

only joking...
28-07-2009, 15:30
Apart from all the T-shirts and posters and staff members in my local store saying otherwise :p

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 15:52
Which could just as easily be advertising a new paint set...

Staff members will say anything to look cool in front of customers.

I'm not saying there's not a surprise, just pointing out that if there's not, it's not the worst decision GW have ever made.

Griefbringer
28-07-2009, 15:54
Whatever happened to the June Mystery Army...the one that GW had never done before and was so cool and had been kept completely secret?

It has been kept so secret, that when the planned release date arrived, nobody could find the secret vault where it had been stored.

Whether the designers in question (both the book author and miniature sculptors) are still locked in that vault is not known.

N810
28-07-2009, 15:54
Anything worth mentioning on the posters ?

Llew
28-07-2009, 16:02
Which could just as easily be advertising a new paint set...

Staff members will say anything to look cool in front of customers.

I'm not saying there's not a surprise, just pointing out that if there's not, it's not the worst decision GW have ever made.

I think GW makes its bad business decision while attempting to make good ones. To falsely promote something would be a bad business decision while trying to make a bad one. I don't think we need to ascribe that level of boneheadedness to them.

I fully believe that they think the product will be really cool and well-received, and there's a good chance that they can find those products. All they have to do is read Warseer. ;)

I'm going with blongbling on this one. It's turnips! (Or Space Hulk.)

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 16:04
But they haven't falsely promoted anything yet. If sneaky rumours hadn't hit the forums, we wouldn't have even known about it.

My money is on Space Hulk.

reds8n
28-07-2009, 16:12
As is mine.

The T shirts I think are a whole different pod o' their own.

Condottiere
28-07-2009, 16:27
Space Hulk as an add-on to 40K.

Borri
28-07-2009, 16:31
Its a limited edition run of their new paint cup.

Commodore Perry
28-07-2009, 16:40
a year or two ago was there not some chatter, even a pic or two, of a release of Man-o-War, but with larger scaled (to Warmaster scale, IIRC) ships etc.

Might this be the mystery box, especially since there is a new (and in my area, gaining popularity, fantasy naval game. Can't remember it's name though)?

Also with, around here, the popularity of WHB "Trafalger" ruleset, GW might be feeling their sea legs.

Commodore Perry

Llew
28-07-2009, 16:53
a year or two ago was there not some chatter, even a pic or two, of a release of Man-o-War, but with larger scaled (to Warmaster scale, IIRC) ships etc.

Might this be the mystery box, especially since there is a new (and in my area, gaining popularity, fantasy naval game. Can't remember it's name though)?

Commodore Perry

Are you talking about Uncharted Seas (http://www.spartangames.co.uk/uncharted.htm)?

The models are nice. I'm about to dump some cash on that in the near future I think.

Grimstonefire
28-07-2009, 17:22
Is it very cynical of me to say that the 'everything you have been told is a lie' T-shirts should be their standard uniform? :)

I won't buy the contents of the mystery box, but I would buy one of those...

My guess is a box full of 30 Goldswords!

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 17:25
As is mine.

The T shirts I think are a whole different pod o' their own.

Pod, eh? Is that a forcast? Looks like your casting your net a bit far there.

reds8n
28-07-2009, 17:27
..if you're going to use up all the puns then I'm not playing anymore.:p

..err.... somethingtodowithtubes.

Damn you ! :mad:

When this box turns out to be a collection of crappy guesses and printed out threads from the internet I'll be... be...

hmmm... limited edition you say.. go on, I'll take just the one. :o

redeye
28-07-2009, 18:21
One issue this discussion and many others like it raise is that most people want the mystery box to be Space Hulk, more than any other possibility. More than that they are really excited by this.. Me included.

Not surprisingly, this was and still is a brilliant game, it game mechanics perfectly capture the theme of the game, even today Ist Edition Space Hulk holds its own as one of the best examples of Game design that came from GW.

-Its a board game,the rules are easy to learn. that make its accessible to people that wouldnt normally go near the war gaming side not least because of overhead involved in cost and time.

-it will introduce people to 40k

-the 40k fans will love it and can use the components in other games as well.

If some reason it isn’t then why isn’t it? What’s wrong with giving customers the product they want?
Based on this it occurs to me that one of two things will happen in September

1. Disappointment
It’s not space hulk! Hello chess set.

2. Disappointment
It is space hulk, but a limited run means only the lucky ones who can make it to the store will get one, or those with contacts, or let’s face it those willing to pay a big premium on eBay. That’s exactly were a lot of boxes will end up.

As a separate issue how is GW managing to keep this under wraps, this doesn’t bode well, when you consider how many people are involved in production (or maybe not) .If it was space hulk somebody would surely confirm it.

Scryer in the Darkness
28-07-2009, 18:42
Er, GW have officially released three printed promotions for this actually. Four if you count the tshirts. It's not pure rumour, far from it.

only joking...
28-07-2009, 18:44
Plus if you ask any GW staff member they will blather on about it for hours on end. Jedi just wait for August 16 then we will see if this is just "pure rumour" :)

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 19:19
I know it's not a rumour, it's Space Hulk. My point was that GW wouldn't be 'stupid' to not release anything.

No printed stuff has been made public. They could abandon this little project tomorrow and John Q Public would never know.

Scryer in the Darkness
28-07-2009, 19:28
I know it's not a rumour, it's Space Hulk. My point was that GW wouldn't be 'stupid' to not release anything.

No printed stuff has been made public. They could abandon this little project tomorrow and John Q Public would never know.
What about the thousands of John Q Publics who have seen the printed releases in the flesh already?

Jedi152
28-07-2009, 19:36
That's because of staff members leaking things to regulars, it's not an official announcement.

Souleater
28-07-2009, 23:09
I think it is a Horus Heresy Game.

That way you can play Space Marines vs Space Marines with not a hint of Xenos scum

only joking...
28-07-2009, 23:19
Thats what I think as well Souleater.

Jedi152
29-07-2009, 07:13
I must admit i wondered if it was a Horus Heresy rerelease...

Griefbringer
29-07-2009, 07:41
I think it is a Horus Heresy Game.

That way you can play Space Marines vs Space Marines with not a hint of Xenos scum

You mean a bit like in the original Space Marine game (released back in 1989 or so)?

Scryer in the Darkness
29-07-2009, 08:27
That's because of staff members leaking things to regulars, it's not an official announcement.
No, I'm talking about the official announcement at games day Russia and also posters in stores in Europe. No leaking involved. Outright official releases.

vargojones
29-07-2009, 09:09
I tend to agree with the HH game. I mean what has begged for, pre heresy marines with the repective armour variants etc, all the home made pre heresy armies since the HUGE success of the Horus Heresy novels, PRIMARCHS could be in it i mean jebus i would drop 50 to get that.

Jedi152
29-07-2009, 09:33
No, I'm talking about the official announcement at games day Russia and also posters in stores in Europe. No leaking involved. Outright official releases.
Really? Then i stand corrected. Do we have scans? I'd love to see them.

ashc
29-07-2009, 09:38
A Horus Heresy box in the vein of Space Crusade would be a lot more interesting than Space Hulk, in my opinion, and would justify its limited edition release somewhat...

Kodamas
29-07-2009, 09:42
I thought that the "Everything you have been told is a lie" was the tagline for inquisitor?

New edition?

only joking...
29-07-2009, 10:21
I think the tagline applies to all the rumours about Space Hulk. I am going for Warhammer 30k on this one :)

Condottiere
29-07-2009, 10:25
Lies are just truths that haven't happened yet.

ashc
29-07-2009, 10:25
What was the name of the game printed YEARS back in WD on card, it was the battle for Horus's battlebarge or something, with lots of cardboard counters, representing the Emperor + Marines fighting his way to Horus in the final battle?

Maybe it's that, in model form.

Count Zero
29-07-2009, 11:35
that game was just called Horus Heresy. a funish game, but one that could take ages to set up and then all be over on turn one :cries:

edit, oh i see you mean a different game, dont know that one.

Scryer in the Darkness
29-07-2009, 11:42
Really? Then i stand corrected. Do we have scans? I'd love to see them.
I posted a link and summary earlier in the thread.

that game was just called Horus Heresy. a funish game, but one that could take ages to set up and then all be over on turn one :cries:

edit, oh i see you mean a different game, dont know that one.
It was called Warmaster and was a free companion game for Horus Heresy.

blongbling
29-07-2009, 15:36
I posted a link and summary earlier in the thread.

can you repost as I've been back through all your posts on this subject and there is nothing there.

Another thing to remember, the gaming day in Russia isn't "Official" and certainly wouldn't be used to launch a new product, officially or unofficially.

I am unsure that there would be advertising in the store in central Europe for this either at the moment as it falls outside the normal promo window for retail, there may be some teaser stuff but actual adverts for Space Hulk, im doubtful

Siam-Tiger
29-07-2009, 21:32
My guess, after combining several informations in a sherlock holmes kind a way;

It is not Space Hulk, but pretty similar. We were told, that there were several "additional rulebooks / codices". Planet Strike came, but this is only invasion. There was mentioned something else, with boarding action - space hulk like. Everything else from this announcement came true, but we are still waiting for that last one.

So basicly my guess is, it will be "just" some kinda a Space Hulk / SpaceCrusade but just not a Space Hulk rerelease. Boarding team vs defending team, can be played as a board game as a Stand-alone or in combination with regular 40k / BFG etc. That would be "something gw never has done before".

duckface
30-07-2009, 08:16
take this with a grain of salt but i here the august secret box .etc is going to be 'the hobbit' related if anyone else knows anything else about this please post back.:D

S00N3R FR3AK
30-07-2009, 08:34
If they were doing The Hobbit I think they would have held it till the first movie came out next year.

Scryer in the Darkness
30-07-2009, 08:56
can you repost as I've been back through all your posts on this subject and there is nothing there.

Another thing to remember, the gaming day in Russia isn't "Official" and certainly wouldn't be used to launch a new product, officially or unofficially.

I am unsure that there would be advertising in the store in central Europe for this either at the moment as it falls outside the normal promo window for retail, there may be some teaser stuff but actual adverts for Space Hulk, im doubtful
Everything you have posted is completely and utterly wrong. Well, except for the "actual adverts for Space Hulk" bit. Seriously, do you think if there were flipping adverts for Space Hulk in stores, we'd even have all these threads discussing the mystery release?? Like WTF, mate. WTF. :wtf:

pjklan
30-07-2009, 09:14
ok, assuming it's a kind of space hulk, how can a 90€ price be justified?
it must be crammed full of minatures and sceneries.
otherwise i can't see how anyone is going to buy it.

warflag
30-07-2009, 09:58
Exactly my question a couple of pages back. No reply to that as of yet. I find the pricetag rather disturbing, thinking it would be a one-off boardgame. And again, think about the two boxes AoBR and Skullpass, so much cheaper, so much contents. Rumour has it the secret box holds 30 minis. What else is in there to make it significantly more expensive than the other two?

Wonders
Bart

only joking...
30-07-2009, 10:00
The inside of a spaceship maybe? With plastic tiles? Space Hulk or Horus' Battle Barge anyone?

Jedi152
30-07-2009, 10:04
What else is in there to make it significantly more expensive than the other two?
I'm willing to guess that the fact it's fairly limited and 40k fans will go mental over it is justification enough for GW.

And card sections could well cost more than plastic. They have to be outsourced.

If it was 100 i bet they'd sell out in a few months.

Scryer in the Darkness
30-07-2009, 10:42
ok, assuming it's a kind of space hulk, how can a 90€ price be justified?
it must be crammed full of minatures and sceneries.
otherwise i can't see how anyone is going to buy it.

I was going to type up a big response to this but I realised I've got better things to do with my time and would just be wasting my breath anyway.

Exactly my question a couple of pages back. No reply to that as of yet. I find the pricetag rather disturbing, thinking it would be a one-off boardgame. And again, think about the two boxes AoBR and Skullpass, so much cheaper, so much contents. Rumour has it the secret box holds 30 minis. What else is in there to make it significantly more expensive than the other two?
Maybe because it's a completely different type of product absolutely unrelated to those two sets you mention, which are quite obviously introductory sets and are (or at least were) Loss Leaders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader). The comparison is entirely incorrect and irrelevant. How about you have a think before posting.

Can you tell I've pretty much lost patience with this thread? :rolleyes:

I'm willing to guess that the fact it's fairly limited and 40k fans will go mental over it is justification enough for GW.

And card sections could well cost more than plastic. They have to be outsourced.

If it was 100 i bet they'd sell out in a few months.
^ We have a Winner.

Well, that's it, I can't be bothered reading this thread any more... I've reached my facepalm quota for this month and next. So I'll go now and will leave you with this message:

Pease take the time to read threads properly before posting, follow links that are provided and then read some more. Learn to use the Search function... seriously.

G'bye folks, I doubt I'll be contributing to threads any more beyond my regular posts on New Release info in the relevant News & Rumours Forums.

*unsubscribes*

blongbling
30-07-2009, 11:16
Everything you have posted is completely and utterly wrong. Well, except for the "actual adverts for Space Hulk" bit. Seriously, do you think if there were flipping adverts for Space Hulk in stores, we'd even have all these threads discussing the mystery release?? Like WTF, mate. WTF. :wtf:

Firstly wind your neck in as i was commenting on your previous posts about there being adverts so i was questioning that, which is why it was framed as a question. As to everything else being wrong regarding the Russian gaming day i can tell you it isnt. As the official GW visitor to that show for 3 years and having maanged the Russian business for several years it is very unofficial, hence why it is called Gaming Day and not Games Day. That show is run by GW's distributor in that country and not by GW itself, so please, if you want to show that i dont know what im talking about do it on a subject that I dont intimatley know old chap.

GW's starter sets dont run as a loss leader and never will. All their products hit a certain margin or they arent produced, this is shown in the costs of the battleboard going up last year after inaccurate costings were done initially but they had already committed to the product.

Jedi152
30-07-2009, 11:58
^ We have a Winner.

Well, that's it, I can't be bothered reading this thread any more... I've reached my facepalm quota for this month and next. So I'll go now and will leave you with this message:

Pease take the time to read threads properly before posting, follow links that are provided and then read some more. Learn to use the Search function... seriously.

G'bye folks, I doubt I'll be contributing to threads any more beyond my regular posts on New Release info in the relevant News & Rumours Forums.

*unsubscribes*
What a ridiculously dramatic childish over-reaction to a series of perfectly acceptable comments.

At some point you will have to accept that you are not the be all and end all of GW rumours.

For those unwilling to accept it, the 'mystery release' is Space Hulk, and all signs indicate that it will sell for 50 or 60. It's an acceptable price for what is bound to be a beautiful game, and i for one will be pre-ordering it. There will be no official announcements until mid-august.

The T-Shirts are another, unrelated thing.

Znail
30-07-2009, 12:45
GW's starter sets dont run as a loss leader and never will. All their products hit a certain margin or they arent produced, this is shown in the costs of the battleboard going up last year after inaccurate costings were done initially but they had already committed to the product.

This is true for sure! GW's production and design costs are less then 10% of their total expenses, so they arent even close to selling anything at production costs. They woould have to sell like 100 plastic models for 10$ to do that.

pjklan
30-07-2009, 12:46
I was going to type up a big response to this but I realised I've got better things to do with my time and would just be wasting my breath anyway.

Maybe because it's a completely different type of product absolutely unrelated to those two sets you mention, which are quite obviously introductory sets and are (or at least were) Loss Leaders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loss_leader). The comparison is entirely incorrect and irrelevant. How about you have a think before posting.

Can you tell I've pretty much lost patience with this thread? :rolleyes:

^ We have a Winner.

*unsubscribes*
whooopeee!!!!
you can go, i won't miss you.

Brimstone
30-07-2009, 13:08
Well this thread is going well :rolleyes:

We have other threads on this in other forums so I don't think this one will be missed too much

*Puts thread out of it's misery*

The Warseer Inquisition