PDA

View Full Version : Is a new version of WFB needed?

Zink
08-05-2005, 23:39
I've been a long time lurker here. I've been reading all the posts about what's good and bad about WFB v6. I was just curious about people's opinions on a new version of WFB. Sounds like a new version is in the works for the next year or so. Will it be a major overhaul or small like between v4 and v5? Do the rules need a major change or just small fixes and clarifications? Or is it just the army lists need updating? I play 40k too and am now waiting for new codecii before putting more money into my armies there. Switched back to fantasy and filling out my long neglected empire and elf troops.

arxhon
08-05-2005, 23:43
I'm of the opinion that WFB needs some revamping of certain aspects of the game. A lot of this stuff has been argued ad nauseum here (cavalry, magic, ratling guns, etc), so i won't go over it again.

Another thing that WFB needs is a collation of newly introduced rules. I understand that this happens infrequently with the Annuals, but introducing new units and so on through the pages of White dwarf and expecting everyone to know them is, frankly, ********.

On the other hand, i suppsoe there's no real other reason to buy the mag.

Zink
09-05-2005, 05:37
I guess you're right. There are a few things I'd like to see tweaked. But I hate the idea of them totally reworking eveything. It'll be another 5+ years before everyone gets their favourite army list. And I'm not convinced they'll do a better job on the next version. Hate to sound bitter but for every rule/unit they straighten out they seem to make as many new, quirky rules to try and figure out. Maybe I should have worded my question,"does anybody have good information on how drastic the next change will be?" Unfortunately I've been out of fantasy for awhile and just sunk a bunch of money into the newest army books and rules. Even bought stuff I may never use just for reading material.

arxhon
09-05-2005, 05:51
The core of the game is rock solid. Most of the army lists are pretty solid, too. It's mostly the stuff that they keep fiddling with because it's wonky that is still wonky (like magic). That said, it's a dramatic improvement overall from previous editions. I think they should spend a little more time making the final tweaks instead of introducing yet another army list, or yet another new unit (though this is probably what moves models off the shelves).

I don't see a dramatic change from the current edition to a hypothetical new one. There will probably be a lot of fully integrating the small balancing tweaks (which, i believe are used in tourney rules anyway), and some changes to the magic system, but overall, it will probably be more like WFB 6.5 rather than WFB 7. Which, in my eyes, is a good thing. :) It's far easier and better for the game overall to have the adjusted rules available in one central source than scattered over 3-4 books and a couple dozen magazines, much like 40k 4e operated when it was released.

09-05-2005, 05:54
I may have been living under a rock. Are they going to release another edition of WHFB shorty!?! I really, REALLY hope not. Please GW, just collate the rule changes and unit additions that you make in the Chronicles.

ArkhathBeltaine
09-05-2005, 06:52
I also think that the next version, whenever it comes, will just be a reworked version of 6th edition. Just like it was from 4-5, and 2-3 for that matter. Mostly, a re-balancing is all the game needs.

Delicious Soy
09-05-2005, 07:49
It seems to me that only phase that needs anything approaching a rewrite is the magic phase. Everything else seem to be pretty much solid in terms of the core rules. Most of the wierdness oddities seem to come fromt the army books. The scroll caddy is just about the only problem I have with WFB mechanics, but again I think that problem could be largely adressed by alterations to army books rather than the rulebook.

A revision of WFB would be less like 3rd-4th 40k and more like the introduction of TAR.

Three Headed Monkey
09-05-2005, 07:50
GW has stated that 7th Ed will not make current army books out of date. You will be able to keep on using them. At least that is what I remember.

Hopefully they also do what they are currently doing with 40k, revising and renewing the current army books, starting with the ones that need the most fixes. Arguably HE and skaven.

tzeentchgiant
09-05-2005, 16:12
I think when it hapens it will be more major than the consolidation of the new 40k but still not big enough to put our current army books out of use, personnally I think it all works ok at the moment and that they should work long and hard on any improvements that they could make otherwise it could be botched and the problems would just shift onto the other side of the extremes that they are on just now.

At the moment all that is needed is a consolidation, but more drastic changes should happen in future.

TG

Karhedron
09-05-2005, 16:19
I play less Fantasy than 40K but my impression is that the only phase that really needs attention is magic. I think that a version 6.5 of Fantasy is all that is really needed, any other imbalances can be fixed in the army lists as and when they get redone.

Oguleth
09-05-2005, 16:59
I think only the magic needs reworking as well. The rest of the rulebook rules is ok, in my opinion.

A reworking of the army books on the other hand...

axels15
16-05-2005, 22:56
hopefully it will only be minor changes and clarifications. I don't want to end up getting the wood elves army up and going and find out they suck with the new edition. If they are planning some drastic changes, i hope they kept those changes in mind when they were doing the wood elves.

Brandir
16-05-2005, 23:21
I too heard that the present Army Books will be compatible with the new WHFB. Version 7 will be like the present WH40K is to WH40K ver 3. Collation of existing rules and tweaking/clarification of others.

anarchistica
17-05-2005, 01:53
I'm fairly sure 7th WFB will be similar to 4th 40K. Stuff gets standardised and defined, things are clarified and the magic phase will still dominate.

tzeentchgiant
17-05-2005, 09:17
[quote=anarchistica]the magic phase will still dominate.[quote]

Oh god no

I do hope they refine that silly system, causes way to many aarguements amongst youngsters.

TG

Brandir
17-05-2005, 12:58
I heard that the magic system will be looked at for the 8th edition, not the next one!

adreal
18-05-2005, 01:08
The magic system itself is fine, until you use it that is. Seriously, just looking at the basic core list from the rule book it looks fine, then you use it and you notice that things arn't what they seem. you notice that dispell scrolls are too freely used to stop mid-magic, boom power house magic is being used.

GW wont really change much of the rules, shooting will stay the same, combat will mostly stay the same (although elite armies may get something akin to outnumbering to adress that issue) movement may change ;) lol no I doubt that.

Frenzy may change yet again, but hopefully not as it's good as it is.

Monsters may change, making them better but with a better costing of them. As it stands, Dragons and other big beasties don't truely have the bang for the buck they used, thus selling less, I mean come one, it's a fantasy game, it needs monsters.

Special Characters will get re-nerfed untill Chaos gets a 're-done' book.

Army books will get attention based on sale IMHO not on what needs re-working the most, so yes Chaos will get book in the early stanges, but on the plus side, chosen wont be as common. (baseing this idea on 40K, Orks need a fresh book and models, not space marines :rolleyes: )

Griefbringer
19-05-2005, 10:52
Considering the lenght of errata and FAQ in the chronicles etc. GW needs to put sooner or later out at least a revised rulebook that incorporates those changes and clarifications - otherwise the rules are getting rather cumbersome (especially for new gamers).