PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Plaguebearer models

StefDa
20-07-2009, 23:03
Games Workshop's are too expensive (for me/my needs). Do you guys know anywhere where I can get twenty cool/awesome plague/sickness/Nurgle-wannabe Daemons cheaper than GW?

Thanks in advance!
Steffen.

Mannimarco
20-07-2009, 23:09
ive seen plaguebearers converted from crypt ghouls and others even made from bloodletters

failing that plastic plaguebearers will probably be out in the daemon second wave although when that is your guess is as good as mine

StefDa
20-07-2009, 23:12
I've no guess, so yours is probably better :P

I'm using Crypt Ghouls without heads (demands explanation) as Horrors, so that one is right out, sadly. I saw those 'Letter-'Bearer ones, AWESOME and FAR beyond my skill.

Mannimarco
20-07-2009, 23:23
whats your price limit? you might be interested in these, i used this seller and got about 80 plaguebearers and several command boxes, 20 plaguebearers for under 40 quid is pretty good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220402269548

Dr.Mercury
21-07-2009, 01:47
What about Bloodletters with Zombie heads?
Would the heads work on those bodies?

II Orar II
21-07-2009, 01:56
I hate plaguebearer models they look as deadly as a chiwawa.:p

Deuce Blue
21-07-2009, 02:54
I hate plaguebearer models they look as deadly as a chiwawa.:p

Plaguebearer models are awesome! They are supposed to just be out there recording the damn diseases and such, but I guess they enjoy fighting so they can get up close and examine the inside of things more thoroughly. As far as cheap plaguebearer models, I would go with the crypt ghoul conversions people here have mentioned. You don't really have to do much more than add some pox marks and whatever gore you like using green stuff. Also some swords would be good, but for the most part given you are representing guys coming out of the warp, I don't think your opponent should have too much of a problem.

Clang
21-07-2009, 03:32
Ghouls and zombies, with a bit of greenstuff swollen putrescent guts here and there - fluffwise they represent Nurgle followers who have recently been 'blessed' by Nurgle by being transformed into daemons. Easy, and they're tournament legal.

Or if you're really talented with greenstuff, use almost any humanoids as a base and then swell them into miniature versions of a Greater Daemon. In my opinion, the GW Plaguebearers look far too healthy and athletic :)

rjderouin
21-07-2009, 03:32
Zombie model + A single horn = simple and cheap conversion.

StefDa
21-07-2009, 08:06
whats your price limit? you might be interested in these, i used this seller and got about 80 plaguebearers and several command boxes, 20 plaguebearers for under 40 quid is pretty good

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220402269548 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220402269548)

On one hand, price isn't a problem, since I'll just live on pasta with ketchup at the end of the month :P But on the other, that isn't really working, is it? That link you posted is absolutely awesome. I might just go with that. It's even cheaper once I convert the £ to Danish kroner! Did you know, I always order GW bitz from the UK store. Why? Because on the UK store, a pack of Slaanesh Sonic weapons costs less than my wager per hour, but on the Danish GW site, it costs more. What the hell?

What about Bloodletters with Zombie heads?
Would the heads work on those bodies?

The idea of putting different heads on Bloodletters is really good, but I don't think I'd go for only Zombies (they have two eyes, 'Bearers are supposed to only have one). But the idea is really good, I'll definately look into it.

As far as cheap plaguebearer models, I would go with the crypt ghoul conversions people here have mentioned. I don't think your opponent should have too much of a problem.

They would have no problem whatsoever. One of them offered me to play a game where we ignored Daemonic Assault (because I explained to him why I think it is such a huge drawback, but probably necessary). Well, I'm already using Ghouls without heads for Horrors (I'll make a log sometime soon :P), so that one is out, I'm afraid.

Ghouls and zombies, with a bit of greenstuff swollen putrescent guts here and there - fluffwise they represent Nurgle followers who have recently been 'blessed' by Nurgle by being transformed into daemons. Easy, and they're tournament legal.

Or if you're really talented with greenstuff, use almost any humanoids as a base and then swell them into miniature versions of a Greater Daemon. In my opinion, the GW Plaguebearers look far too healthy and athletic :)

Technically, when a mortal is infected with Nurgle's Rot, a small "foetus" or, blob of pus or whatever, is created in Nurgle's Garden. As the Rot is incurable, you die from it over a period of time, and as you die the foetus is growing, and when you finally die, the foetus is born into a Plaguebearer. It used to be like that, I hope it still is!

Zombie model + A single horn = simple and cheap conversion.

I actually like that a lot, but that may be a little too cheap :P

Reesraw
21-07-2009, 09:00
Aren't crypt ghouls all too small?

Satan
21-07-2009, 09:09
Or you could just order from Sweden. Seeing as how we're poor and all. God bless Danish wages though.

StefDa
21-07-2009, 09:16
Satan, kender du til en rigtig god, billig butik jeg kan bestille fra?

I don't know a whole lot about Sweden :P

Satan
21-07-2009, 09:18
Yeah, you can either take the train to Malmø and make some purchases at Spel på Djäknegatan or you can try ordering from www.gamemaniacs.se or www.figurspel.se for example. Are you not in Copenhagen?

Here's your guide to all things swedish:
www.meresverige.dk
www.visitsweden.com

StefDa
21-07-2009, 12:15
I'm in Brøndby, actually, right outside CPH (18 minuts by train). Do they accept both Danish coins and notes in Malmø?

precinctomega
21-07-2009, 12:29
Why not buy some of the plague cyclops heads from Heresy Miniatures and stick them on 'letter bodies?

http://www.heresyminiatures.com/spareheads.htm

You could, of course, stick them on Heresy Blight Demon bodies, but that wouldn't be much cheaper than just buying Plague Bearers.

Satan
21-07-2009, 12:33
I'm in Brøndby, actually, right outside CPH (18 minuts by train). Do they accept both Danish coins and notes in Malmø?

Nope, only Swedish, but all you need is a forex office where you can exchange your danish notes for swedish ones, there's one just across the street from Malmö Central Station. Remember, just 66 Danish crowns equals 100 Swedish crowns so you'll be getting alot for your money... A box of some 5 plaguebearers is about 169 Swedish crowns IIRC, equaling about 114 DKK. Whereas a box of plaguebearers from GW at Købmagergade would cost you 140 DKK, equaling more than 200 Swedish...

May not sound much but you'd be making some pretty large savings the more expensive stuff you buy. 5 boxes of plaguebearers should save you something like 125 DKK...

StefDa
21-07-2009, 12:37
That is *exactly* why I started this thread, Precinctomega. I needed help finding something like that. I actually think I'll order some of those heads, they are awesome!!

Brimstone
21-07-2009, 13:32
You could, of course, stick them on Heresy Blight Demon bodies, but that wouldn't be much cheaper than just buying Plague Bearers.

Very true but they are superior models to anything else on the market and there is a musician & standard bearer on the way.

*mod hat on*

I've deleted a fair bit of off topic discussion from the thread please avoid repeating this, thanks :)

StefDa
21-07-2009, 14:16
The Danish dissing the Swedish is never off topic... :P I think I'll look for those Blight Demons, then. Sound intersting.

Brimstone
21-07-2009, 14:21
I have a unit of 20 with alternate heads that are the best models in my Daemon army.

The champion is suitably excellent. They may not be cheap but the money is going to a small company who make some excellent models.

StefDa
21-07-2009, 14:26
I can't give them money I don't have or that I need for other occasions, though. My workout is important, drinking with the boys is important, going out with friends is important, so I try to keep my hobby down a little, as I already spend far too much every month. I will order theor phenomenal Blight heads, though.

Chem-Dog
21-07-2009, 15:15
What about Wood-Elf Dryads?
They are plastic so with a little snippery-pokery and an appropriately themed paint-job they'll stand in for pretty much any Lesser Daemon, not just Plague Bearers (making them a nice unconfusing summoned Daemon option for CSM players who don't want to favour one particular power). What's more, with 12in a box, it shouldn't bust the bank making a couple of fair sized packs, or a single large one.

If you're considering the zombie/ghoul approach, it might be worth throwing a box of Skaven Plague Monks into the mix too, they're virtually Nurle followers anyway so there's a good collection of tatty robed bodies and other nurgle themed grungyness.

Fjoergyn
21-07-2009, 15:23
I have seen it with Kroot bodies, ghoul heads and green stuff somewhere in the internet... It looks nice, and the guy who do it made horrors with the ghouls bodies too...

If anyone have the link...:(

Ironmonger
22-07-2009, 20:54
I have a unit of 20 with alternate heads that are the best models in my Daemon army.

The champion is suitably excellent. They may not be cheap but the money is going to a small company who make some excellent models.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS BEFORE I BOUGHT THOSE POXY (not in a good way!) PLAGUEBEARERS FROM GW!!!!!!!

18 AWESOME Blight Demons, here I come!

Thanks, Brim!