PDA

View Full Version : What percentage of your army should be characters?

kaubin
21-07-2009, 01:55
I'm just wondering what percentage of your army should usually be characters. I used to field about 25% of my points in 2k games in characters, but that number has slowly been creeping up with magic, and i've come to reach almost 50% of my army points in a 2k game on characters. What do you guys think is a good general guide for percentage of points distributed in character, core, special and rare choices? Are these numbers usually different depending on the army you're playing?

Boondock
21-07-2009, 03:19
Depends on the army. 50% is way too much in my opinion, even for VC's. Generally I try to go about 35-40% (I play VC).

Staurikosaurus
21-07-2009, 03:38
Exactly what boondock said. The % range your characters will take up is really dependent upon which army you play and how many characters you plan on taking. Some armies need more characters, some less and some armies pay more points for the same (or next to) power level.

That being said, if you break 50% you're playing the wrong game.

matticusmaximus
21-07-2009, 03:52
^^ Agreed.

It depends entirely on what armies you play.

For example:

For Skaven, I rarely go above 15-20%, all I need is a Warlord for Ld (maybe I can drop a few points on him if I'm feeling fighty that day), a more or less naked BSB for CR and break re-rolls, and a couple warlocks.

For Empire, I usually hang around 25-30%. A good general and BSB for combat res, a solid Warrior Priest for some multipurpose roles, and a scroll caddy.

Armies like Lizardmen and Warriors of Chaos could easily push 40-50% and be perfectly viable.

I'm not a huge fan of the uber killy lord of doom, after seeing what cannons are capable of, but to each their own I suppose.

Condottiere
21-07-2009, 08:33
This question has been asked, I think, in General.

The range is 10%-50%, depending on army and strategy employed, with the ideal between 25%-33%.

Dragune
21-07-2009, 08:43
I dont really like gearing up my characters that much id much rather have more troops. I'm not really sure what my percentage would be though, too lazy to check :p

Nicha11
21-07-2009, 08:47
My Slaan comes in at about 500 points on his lonesome, coupled with 415 pt EOTG, 100pts skink priest, and 145pt Scar Vet.

So i'm looking at about 55% of my army as characters:p

Griffin
21-07-2009, 09:26
Depends on the army and build my lizzies come to about 15-50 Percent. Fighty = less characters and magic = more (mostly cause of slann)

Evil-Lite
21-07-2009, 12:51
I agree with the above: depends on the army.

With that said... Lizards could go well above 50% depending on how many Stegs are used as character mounts.

Condottiere
21-07-2009, 13:12
Would you count stegs as character points, strictly speaking? Seems more like a war machine.

Staurikosaurus
21-07-2009, 13:13
They are mounts if taken for a character so count towards their points just like a horse or cold one would.

Norngahl
21-07-2009, 13:56
I play Dark Elves and with Lord/Cauldron/Caddy or Lord/Double Mage I hang around 30% (580-590 Points), or, if I gore bare knuckels, Lord/Aggressive Caddy, 20% on the Dot (400 Points).

In my Opinion Dark Elves work with many charakters like 4 Characters + Assassins and with less Characters but more Troops equally good, personally I prefer more Troops.

But a Dragonlod, Cauldron, Caddy, 2x Shades with Assassins, Black Guad, Doublehydra and Black Riders, well, thats pretty nasty, even with 55% spent on Characters at a 2250 point game..

grhino
21-07-2009, 14:04
I generally try to spend as little as possible, especially on armies that have very good normal troops or really expensive characters. I normally do not max out on magic items, except for a mage/sorceror (they usually carry scroll and another item). On TK's, you are nearly obliged to max out on the amount of characters available. HE's and Chaos don't have that, since their troops can take on and kill enemy characters as well - usually, if they carry a big and costy sword they are not that well protected...

willowdark
21-07-2009, 15:19
There are only 2 criteria that matter.

Do my characters bring something to the fight that a unit could not?
Are my characters well supported by the other units to ensure their productivity?

As long as they're doing something effectively and there is enough room for sufficient unit support/effectiveness, than anything goes.

I regularly max out my WE characters while I find that if my DE characters aren't casting spells, which my cloaked Assassin does, than they just aren't worth it. Relatively speaking of course.

kaubin
22-07-2009, 01:30
Thanks guys. I play dark elves and was running Cauldron/Death Hag BSB /w ASF banner/Supreme Sorc on pegasus/Shooty-flighy assassin and had 45% of my 2k points in Characters, which was really worrying me, since I ended up having less units than my opponent who was fielding Chaos mortals cavalry. Almost all my characters ended up making their points back, even the sorc. killed a bunch of knights and a Daemon Prince, and it all worked ou really well since they were supporting my troops. It worked out really well.

Freman Bloodglaive
22-07-2009, 02:39
Difficult to say. If you use Dogs of War then every regiment of renown comes with a character. However there is the option of using Gotrek and Felix, who make up a quarter of a 2000 point army. But whatever, it's Gotrek and Felix, how can you not use them?

Valtiel
22-07-2009, 06:53
When I make armies (WoC, sometimes DoC but haven't played those in a long time) I want to stay around the 800 mark in 2250. it's about 36% of the army and I think it is a nice number. If I field a lord of any kind I will most likely only have 3 characters in the army but if I field only heroes I can cram in 4 characters.

I sometimes hate playing against one of my opponents using 50% on points on his VC characters but he says that his army needs them, well that might be true though.

Troah
22-07-2009, 14:42
When I play serious I'm normally around 15%-25. when I'm playing silly it's more like 60%-85%. :D

LiamTaylor
22-07-2009, 15:53
My Vampire Counts army is hanging at about 750 points is but another 100 for the corpse cart my necro rides on if you count that. Although all my characters are on foot so saves a few points but 37 - 42% dependin on how you count it.