PDA

View Full Version : WYSIWYG vs. fluff

Damokles
05-01-2006, 21:35
You all know the current goblin and nightgoblin miniatures, and I guess most of you have faced them. They all have their spears and shields, and to get them to fit in a regimental formation on their bases, you can't alter their pose very much. So what you get is a rank and file unit of goblins. Now look at what you got!

And I guess most of you know the picture of those thousands of nightgoblins pouring out of a number of caves in a little valley, their various weapons/sticks/pseudoweapons raised in every direction, stone trolls and fanatics amidst all the others. That is what you would imagine a green horde to be!

Now compare these two images of a unit of goblins. Something must have gone wrong!

So what do you think, would you convert your models, if yes how, and if you faced a unit converted to look more like those in the picture, would you care if someone let them count as having spears? Fluffwise the attacks from the second rank would be explained by the mass of little goblins, pushing, bitting and slashing with their pointy sticks from all directions.

Ganymede
05-01-2006, 21:53
I will say, GW is adding minor changes to certain regiments that not only allow older models to be used with newer models, but that allow for mixed equipment to beused within a unit, but have all that equipment count as the same.

Two examples are the new slayers and the eternal guard. The new slayers are allowed to use either great axes or twin axes in combat, so you can combine any type of slayer model within the unit you want.

The eternal guard's rules detail how they use different weapons. Some use spearstaves, while some use the more traditional spear and shield. This not only allows you to use your older Glade Guard models and still be wysiwygm, but it also allows you to mix the different models together too.

nathonicus
05-01-2006, 23:01
isn't there someplace in the book that says the majority of models must be armed with the listed weapon, but some models may be fielded with other weapons so long as it is clear what the overall unit is supposed to be armed with?

strv
05-01-2006, 23:18
Yes, there is, and you quoted it exactly?

starlight
05-01-2006, 23:21
Personally I don't care as long as the front rank (or two if a small frontage) is armed appropriately, the rest can be mounted on regiment or monster bases for mini-dioramas and other cool things.:D