PDA

View Full Version : 1k high elves (updated :D)

Rawne
21-07-2009, 11:36
Ok havent really played much WH at all, played abit about 5 or 6 years ago, so basically im a complete greenhorn :cries: mainly a 40k and necromunda gamer :D
. the armies i will be facing are, VC, DoC, Lizardmen, and AoC, we are starting off with 1k armies and then building our way up to prob about 2000 or 2250. well anyway any critisism or advice would be great :D

HERO
Mage 170pts
lvl 2
jewel of the dusk
dispell scroll

CORE
19 spearsmen 196pts
full command

10 archers 110pts
musician

SPECIAL
10 swords masters 168pts
musc +champ

10 white lions 168pts
musc + champ

1 tironic chariot 85pts

RARE
bolt thrower 100pts

total= 997pts

Desert Rain
21-07-2009, 12:16
First of all you have 1045 points not 1000.

Second, your mage have 3 arcane items and you're only allowed to have one. I would recomend you to lose the ring and the wand which frees up 35 points. If you then drop the commands on your swordmasters and white lions and the musician fron the archers you have 55 points left, if you want to have 1000 points as your total.

I recomend to take a Dispel Scroll for your mage, they are almost always a must. That leaves you with 35 points to spend. I don't really have anything to recomend since it's so few points. You can re-buy some command troops for your elites but I would advice you to stay away from a standard bearer in so small units.

Another thing you could buy for the remaining points is a magical banner for your spearmen. Since you will be facing both DoC and VC and LM I recomend the Lion Standard as it makes you imune to fear and terror. And that's priceless against DoC and VC. If the enemy doesn't have any, or very few, fear causers you can switch it for the War Banner instead.

Rawne
21-07-2009, 12:35
ok, ive miscalculated the points, so il lose the SB in both the white lion and sword master units(24pts) and the ring or corin 20pts, but, in the book it states that a mage can have up to 50pts of magic items, it doesnt say anything about having just 1?

azindal
21-07-2009, 13:14
ok, ive miscalculated the points, so il lose the SB in both the white lion and sword master units(24pts) and the ring or corin 20pts, but, in the book it states that a mage can have up to 50pts of magic items, it doesnt say anything about having just 1?

Unfortunately you are unable to take more than 1 of each type [Arcane, Enchanted, Armour ect] item per character.
Drop the wand & keep that jewel, leaving you with 14 pts spare. Sb for one of the units?

The SkaerKrow
21-07-2009, 14:58
Given your opposition, I'd actually consider dropping both the Silver Wand/Jewel of Dusk and perhaps a single Spearmen in order to add the Annulian Crystal to your list. With 4 Dispel Dice and a +1 bonus to your Dispel Rolls, you should have a fair chance to counteract the magic that you'll most likely be seeing from Vampire Count and Chaos opponents.

Otherwise, it's a decent list. You'll need to protect your Swordmasters from shooting, but with those enemies, you shouldn't face a whole lot of it.

Jind_Singh
21-07-2009, 16:00
and down the line try to find a way to upgrade the charriot to one of those lion charriots - thats a royal pain in anyones butt!!!

tw1386
21-07-2009, 16:02
Remember that you also only have to take 1 core in 1k points. High Elf core are usually only taken in the minimum requirements.

In your list I'd drop the archers for another bolt thrower in 1k since you can take 2 rares.

Rawne
21-07-2009, 16:18
yeah 2 bolt throwers mite work nicely, 6 shots off a volley each :| yummy lol

The SkaerKrow
21-07-2009, 16:22
Keep in mind that Elven Bolt Throwers are extraordinarily fragile, and will easily been run off by Furies, Fell Bats and Terrodons.

Rawne
21-07-2009, 16:24
non of my friends are pulling any of these from what im aware, most have foot traveling fast cav, which i should be ok with. but if not, i could keep the archers.

The SkaerKrow
21-07-2009, 16:28
Either will perform well for you, really. Archers have the advantage of being better able to defend themselves (potentially 10 shots per turn if you get them a hill, and 5 Always Strike First attacks if they're charged) and sustain more wounds (10 vs. an effective 2), while the second Bolt Thrower hits harder, has better range and is more versatile (volley shot vs. single shot).

As someone that runs Elven Bolt Throwers (albiet Dark Elf Bolt Throwers) quite often, I just wanted to offer a word of caution about how difficult, or more accurately not difficult, that they are to silence.

Rawne
21-07-2009, 16:33
hehe i think il keep to the archers, i can stand and fire if charged, and as you say, they will be on a hill so 10 shots , just hope my list has enough of a balance to deal with alot of different armies