PDA

View Full Version : Apocalypse Painting Frenzy

Doppleskanger
21-07-2009, 15:55
Ok, this is my first proper log, so let's see how I get on.

So here's the situation. I have a new job and am leaving the town I've been based in for the last 8 years or so, and I'm moving several hundred miles away so I won't be back anytime soon.

I was chatting to an old gaming buddy a few days ago, and we've decided to do 5000pts of Apocalypse badness on Thursday afternoon, as a last blast really. He has 3000 pts of Salamanders and a newly finished Aeptus Custodes army worth 2000pts.
Now I have loads of stuff, lots painted lots waiting to be done. But the twist is, we've had a long standing agreement in the area that we'd only play Apocalypse with fully painted forces and with forces that make sense fluff wise ie no nid marine alliances etc.
So whilst I could field a combined marine list of some sort, I thought I'd finish off a few overdue projects.

Number 1

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65150&stc=1&d=1248194145

Which is my Baneblade for my Mechanicus army. No major conversions, just a new hood on the tank commander which I'll show you later. This tank unfortunately got dusty a while ago, so it just had a cold shower and is out in the garden drying at the moment.

Number 2
http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65151&stc=1&d=1248194011

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65152&stc=1&d=1248194011

Which is a stand in for a warhound, with double barrelled turbo-laser destuctor and Vulcan Mega Bolter. Ok it's not the greatest model, and is a bit too light, but I ain't paying for a Forgeworld one, so this is it till it comes out in plastic! Anyway it's a mechanicus giant fighting robot not a titan, so i think I get away with it ;)

Number 3

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65153&stc=1&d=1248194011

So this is my conversion of a Belial stand in for my DA sucessor chapter. I made him ages ago but stared painting him last week. Would love to get the fine details finished for Thursday, and get the bases done for him and 15 terminators.

Number 4

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65154&stc=1&d=1248194029

And Finally there's this Deathwing Standard bearer, who needs a standard painting in. Again, I'd love to get him finished, and if there's time, do the details on my Terminator Apothecary. Anyway, his banner is gonna have a nice star field, a large moon and a bloody great big sword. Well that's the plan.

So the challenge is to get all this stuff done by thursday afternoon, approximately 48 hours from now. And just to add a bit of spice, I need to be packing my belongings that are going into storage.

What do you think? Can it be done?

Well, we'll see. I'll keep you posted as events unfold. I've had my second can of redbull for the day, I've half a pack of cigarettes, and it's another rainy summer day in Ireland!

Doppleskanger
21-07-2009, 17:30
right sorted. The images now work. Back to packing and painting. I should mention that the plan to dry the wet baneblade failed coz it started to rain. Again. Damn these Irish summers.

Doppleskanger
21-07-2009, 21:23
Ok, well loads of packing done, which is good, if not a bit sad...I've given away so many dvds and sci fi novels today, it would break your heart.:cries:

anyways, started painting about half hour ago, thought I'd make it easy and start on the standard bearer. Base coat and washes done, now I'm off to the shop to get some smokes and stella (for later, obviously).

Don't know if you'll see it in the pices, but the banner got a base coat of 50/50 necron abyss and chaos black followed by blue ink. This will either give the subtle rich dark dark blue I was after or be completely un-noticeable!

Doppleskanger
22-07-2009, 03:50
Ok, bit of a mare. The girlfriend called and was all upset. Took a while...

But got the Standard Bearer done, well needs a few highlights and purity seals. Like the banner but now I'm nervous about painting a sword over the moon because, well, I like how it looks. What do you guys think, sword or no sword. Also got the Titan sprayed and the red basecoat onto the baneblade. So not as much as I wanted, but not too shabby either. Tomorrow should be fun!

The Laughing God
22-07-2009, 03:55
I love that terminator color scheme, the banner looks great too, I think it looks fine as is.

Looking forward to seeing more,

Doppleskanger
22-07-2009, 21:42
Well, long day. I've managed to get in about 7 hours painting so far, and moved a ton of stuff into storage.
I've been working on the Baneblade today, and it's ready to hit the table top, although a long way from being finished. If i get a chance later on I'll get a few thin washes onto it, just to add some shadows and stop it looking so flat. But I'm happy with the way it's coming along. Lovely model to paint, but there is loads of small detail on there, I hadn't really factored in how long it would take to get it all done. Hope to have a shot at finishing this over the weekend.

Right, on to the Titan

Doppleskanger
23-07-2009, 02:47
Well, what's it been 36 hours or something? 40? I don't know.
Got a chunk done on the titan and the base dry brushed up coz I wanted to watch south park and needed something to do.
Check the pics. The bottles on the right are my bed time stella. I think I deserve them. Anyway game starts at 5.30 pm tomorrow, so I've about 6 hours painting time left.

eltanko
23-07-2009, 03:06
The Beer remains unopened but is not being chilled? I am confused by this blasphemy!!!

-----

The standard looks excellent, very well painted and love the design.
The Titan is coming along rather nicely aswell.

ElTanko

Doppleskanger
23-07-2009, 03:14
Nah mate, the beer was fresh out the fridge, and is definitely opened now. I brought two because the fridge is all the way downstairs ;)

Doppleskanger
24-07-2009, 13:21
Ok well, success. Got them ready in time and had a great game last night. Called it a draw after 3and a half hours, which was a fair result. So let's see, this is the Titan as finished yesterday.

So he still needs a lot of work which I'm not sure when I'll get around too, but hopefully not too long.
The Baneblade is much closer to being finished, so I'm gonna give that a go over the weekend. Belial remains untouched, and the standard bearer just needs a little bit of attention.

Doppleskanger
24-07-2009, 13:27
So I'm just gonna post a few shots from the game, because it looked really nice!

The board at the start of the game

The baneblade shoots some barreled fish

Terminators deep strike in front of most of my Ad Mech guns, 4 twin linked las cannons, 2 missile pods, 2 las connons and some bolters. Did they survive?

Of course they did. Damn 3+ storm shields grumble grumble.

Doppleskanger
24-07-2009, 13:33
And finally a quick look at some of Joe's Custodes.

This unit is the bane of my life at the moment. Custodes counting as hounour gaurd. Power weapons, 5 attacks, 2+ armour save and an invunerable coz they come with a librarian. Can I kill them? Can I heck. Do they kill everything they get too? Oh yes...

And his ven dread with warmachine arms. I love this model! Unfortunately Belial deep struck right in front of him and got him with a vortex grenade. My favourite moment in the battle!

Right then. i'll let this thread die for now. But I'll add photos as and when I finish the models involved.