PDA

View Full Version : Custodians of the Culexus Temple

Sabbad
21-07-2009, 17:15
So, I've been reading Codex Assassins recently.

According to the Codex:

Each Culexus Assassin is accompanied by a Custodian, who operates the Animus Speculum and ensures that his charge remains under his control and does not arouse suspicions amongst other forces fighting in the campaign... Once on the battlefield the Custodian, probably positioned safely within a command bunker or an orbital battleship, will release his hold over the Assassin. The large eye in the Animus Speculum opens and only then does the full intensity of the Assassin's horrific capabilites flood the battlefield.

What I'm wondering is when it says "Custodian", does it mean Custodian with a capital C, as in a warrior of the Adeptus Custodes that traditionally guards the Imperial Palace and the Emperor? Or does it mean custodian as in, an entirely different job and profession, albeit one with exactly the same job title?

Thoughts?

Lord Damocles
21-07-2009, 18:20
The Adeptus Custodes, 'never leave Earth, and only rarely leave the imperial palace where their duties lie - their place is by the Emperor's side' (Rogue Trader, pg.139)*

It would make more sense that the Culexus Custodian was something like the Eversor's overseer (Deus Ex Mechanicus) who exists to oversee the 'wellbeing' of their charge (well, pumping them full of drugs and keeping them in stasis for extended periods :D).

*Not the most recent source, but nover contradicted as far as I'm aware

Lowmans
21-07-2009, 19:01
In the Heresy Art books the Custodes do go to Prospero and fight. Think there's also something about them deploying elsewhere with the Emperor to fight Orks. Admittedly this was all when the Emperor was up and about (though obviously not actually present at Prospero).

I agree though that the Culexus Custodian is likely similar to the Eversor's overseer.

grissom2006
21-07-2009, 19:03
[QUOTE=Lord Damocles;3787234]The Adeptus Custodes, 'never leave Earth, and only rarely leave the imperial palace where their duties lie - their place is by the Emperor's side' (Rogue Trader, pg.139)*

It has actually been stated that they actually Rarely never leave earth in other fluff sources. Also i doubt very much that they have given up on their duties of protecting and probing the defences of the palace.

Mannimarco
21-07-2009, 22:22
i think the reason the custodes were on prospero was kind of to show that the order for magnus to return to terra came directly from the emperor (although that plan did get derailed by the SW being tricked by Horus)

on topic: the Custodian of the temple will just be a guy in charge of the temple and its assassins, he wont be one of the gold armoured Adeptus Custodes

MajorWesJanson
22-07-2009, 02:55
The Custodians don't leave Terra anymore. During the Crusade, they travelled with the Emperor, and did missions away from him and Terra at his bidding. Only after he was placed in the Golden Throne did they stop leaving, as their role is to protect and obey the Emperor, and he has not told them to leave him since he has been on the throne.

Carlos
22-07-2009, 08:06
cus⋅to⋅di⋅an  [kuh-stoh-dee-uhn] –noun
1. a person who has custody; keeper; guardian.
2. a person entrusted with guarding or maintaining a property; janitor.

I like the idea of the Adeptus Custodes going around in long brown coats, flat caps and sweeping up the palace because they havn't had a war to fight in 10,000 years!

grissom2006
22-07-2009, 09:37
[QUOTE=MajorWesJanson;3788502]The Custodians don't leave Terra anymore. During the Crusade, they travelled with the Emperor, and did missions away from him and Terra at his bidding. Only after he was placed in the Golden Throne did they stop leaving, as their role is to protect and obey the Emperor, and he has not told them to leave him since he has been on the throne.

One like SM they are not immortal so as such sooner or later need new recruits to their numbers.
Two there has been hints that do infact leave the palace in secret at times on mysterious errands. Not that anyone would likely notice this with the technology they have access to (read Blood Games).
Three just because words haven't escaped his lips in millenia doesn't mean he doesn't speak (read The Inquisition War)
Four yes there role is to protect the Emperor but unless they know they check for weaknesses in the defences on getting to Terra how do they know it's secure. After Vandire's Reign of Blood this makes it increasingly unlikely they sit behind there walls and ignore beyond there walls