PDA

View Full Version : Help me and my gaming crew knock out this homemade scenario

Shadowfax
22-07-2009, 05:10
My two friends (Bretonnians, O's & G's) and I (Wood Elves) want to play a three player game, 2-versus-1. This is the scenario we came up with:

an orcish 'orde has besieged a bretonnian lord in his family castle. wood elf forces in the region have taken their usual neutral stance but are keenly interested in the outcome of the battle and have sent scouting parties to observe. though their territories are not yet directly threatened, the elves hope that the bretonnian forces can repel the brutish invaders without assistance. however, as the siege drags on it becomes apparent the that bretons within the fortress are outnumbered and cut off from reinforcements. after many consecutive days of slaughter the exhausted defenders are expecting to make their last stand on the next morning. the bretonnian lord is overseeing the final preparations of the defenses, when to his surprise a wood elf noble appears before him, having sneaked past the castle sentries in the dark night. the elf extends a grudging offer of help to the human and together they construct a deadly strategy. on the following day, the bretonnian troops will launch an unexpected assault out of the fortress while the elvish scouting party flanks the orcs and attacks from the sides in a last ditch bid to break the greenskin siege. the human and elf generals agree to the temporary alliance, then separate to prepare their troops for the impending bloodshed.

Original proposal was 1000 points of Bretonnians, 1000 points of Elves, 2500 points of greenskins. The Brets and WE each have a normal army chart, except limited to two heroes each. The O&G player has his normal chart, except cannot field Lords.

Bretonnians deploy first, then the Orcs, then the Wood Elves. The Orc units must deploy with the castle in their front facing to represent them being unaware of the ambush. You can see the intended board setup and deployment zones in the diagram below. Brets and WE will share a player turn, and automatically get the first turn to represent the ambush being sprung.

Victory conditions have not been finalized yet. Probably standard victory points, with bonus points for being inside the fortress at the end of the game.

Do you guys think the scenario is generally fair and gives both sides an equal chance at victory?

The other players have been suggesting modifications that we aren't sure about yet. For example, the Bret player wants access to two rare choices (trebuchets) since it's a fluffy component of castle defense. The O&G player thinks he should be able to use a Lord even though the WE/Bret alliance will not have one to counter him. He also insists that he should get the automatic first turn, more for balance issues than for fluffiness ones.

I'm looking for advice, suggestions, confirmation, disagreement, anecdotal evidence, prior experience, basically anything you're willing to offer to help make our game more fair and enjoyable. We won't be playing it for at least two weeks, so we have some time to think it over and iron out the kinks. Help us out! :D

Cheers for reading

Leogun_91
22-07-2009, 14:09
The scenario seems fairly balanced at the moment although the orcs should probobly outnumber you by even more (both normal ambush scenario and siege scenario has the larger foe at almost double size, I would have 3000pts Orcs and let you keep the first turn (automaticly) while still counting as having prayed.

~Aura~
22-07-2009, 14:48
A homebrew (but still balanced and in theme with the scenario) special character leading each force would be cool.

If the guy wants double trebuchets, perhaps say he can't take something from the Bret book that is non-fluffy for a castle defense (Grail Knights ? I don't know, haven't read any Bret fluff).

rtunian
22-07-2009, 15:28
i think the orcs and brets should deploy normally, and the wood elves should deploy entirely as scouts. i think you should not limit the hero count on the allied side, and you should not disallow the orc lord.

there should be a condition for killing the orc lord. give the lord 1 extra wound, so he has 4 wounds instead of 3, and if he's killed, the orc units have to take a panic test, to see if they continue the seige without their warboss.

jayzerus
22-07-2009, 16:18
Allowing the Orc Lord would make sense - as the Orcs would need such a creature to amass them into a semblance of a fighting force to beseige a fortress anyway.

The Bretts should not be allowed any special or rare choices, save the 2 trebuchets and maybe 1 unit of mounted men at arms. At only 1000 points though, I can't imagine he would want to sink points into any other rare or special choices anyway.

Wood Elves should only be allowed elves, since they are a scouting force. Wouldn't really make much sense if they had the walking trees beside them on scouting missions. (at least not to me anyway).

Lord Dan
22-07-2009, 17:23
Castle or no, 3500 points vs. 1000 points isn't much of a contest. Rather than doing straight up victory points you should consider objectives, such as the old "Rear Guard" scenario in the V6 BRB.

isidril93
22-07-2009, 19:54
let him have a lord...some one needs to command the green army...even vif its one a wyvern

the brett should have 2 tebouchets but no other choices, just core and there should be a 1 to 1 amount of units of knights and peasants
if all brett/elven units are destroyed game is over, what i mean is one or the ther, so if the bretts die the wood elves lose
one unit of orcs can be upgraded to big uns for free as only the strongest survive initial attacks

the wood elf should go first, then orcs, then brett
the roll to see who continues and play normally

22-07-2009, 20:13
isnt this similar to the one in whitedwarf a few years back

bret/we vrs de (the one with like 20 grail knights in 1 unit and got knocked out as soon as it arrived :D

American WD 323

Shadowfax
23-07-2009, 04:24
I'm surprised by some of the support for a lord choice. How is the allied team supposed to deal with him?

We can't afford to play herohammer because we're both forced into making independent 1000 point mini-armies. The Bret player is further handcuffed by having to pay for two manditory heroes. It seems to me the inclusion of a Lord would totally unbalance the game, and allow one character to tear through the defenders singlehandedly.

The Bret player does indeed intend to take nearly all peasants, and I won't be using any cavalry or other unfluffy units. Non-Treeman Forest Spirits make perfect sense to me, though. Theoretically the battle is being fought on the outskirts of Athel Loren, or the WE wouldn't be there in the first place. Once the Elves decided to intervene I think the first thing they would do would be to summon some warlike tree spirits for assistance in the endeavour.

The scenario seems fairly balanced at the moment although the orcs should probobly outnumber you by even more (both normal ambush scenario and siege scenario has the larger foe at almost double size,
However, in the ambush scenario 100% of the ambushers deploy freely in response to the defending party. In our scenario the Orc player will be able to react to the Brets deployment, so only 50% of our alliance will be receiving the benfits of the ambush.

the wood elf should go first, then orcs, then brett
the roll to see who continues and play normally
We did discuss this as a possible turn order, but it seems like having three player turns would be a pretty big headache. Does the Orc player get dispel dice in every enemy magic phase? Do allied banners work in both turns? Can allied units in a multiple combat pursue if friendly units break an enemy while it's not their turn? Those are just off the top of my head, I'm sure there would be many more issues to deal with...

NakedBarbarian
23-07-2009, 04:43
Sounds alot like the ancient siege of Alesia.

The Gaulic King Vercingetorix instigated a massive rebellion of the Gauls but later became trapped in the well fortified town of Alesia

Julius Caesar besieged the town and errected his own fortifications completely enveloping the town

Gaulic reinforcements the sum of 200, 000 warriors arrived in time to besiege the besiegers.

Cut a long story short Julius Caesar kills everybody.

If it were me i would have the brettonians castle in the centre of the table: 1000pts including 1 lord no heroes

3000pts of OnG completely surrounding the castle

1000pts WE evenly distributed around the besiegers, no lords (you said it was a scouting force)

Shadowfax
23-07-2009, 04:58
We only have access to a 6x4 table, and we're using the old GW fortress (which is probably about 1.5' x 1.5') so I don't think we could accommodate a scenario where the fortress is completely surrounded.

Leogun_91
23-07-2009, 09:37
However, in the ambush scenario 100% of the ambushers deploy freely in response to the defending party. In our scenario the Orc player will be able to react to the Brets deployment, so only 50% of our alliance will be receiving the benfits of the ambush.Yes but the rest getīs the great benefit of a castle which normally gives the attackers twice the ammount of points.

static grass
23-07-2009, 09:52
Allowing the orc player a lord choice is pretty tricky because he will buzzsaw his way through the castle. I would say no to a lord but yes to the orcs being 3000 points. They still have a lot to do to get in that castle so I think the orcs will have a fair chance at 3K.

Let the WE player deploy units with the scouts rule as scouts and give the orcs first turn. Remaing WE forces enter on the first turn as if they had pursued off.

Yrrdead
23-07-2009, 15:02
Here are some suggestions from Avian's website which, after playing a couple team games with and without , really helps smooth out some of the difficulties in multiplayer battles.

http://folk.ntnu.no/tarjeia/avian/scenarios/multiplayer.php