PDA

View Full Version : Old models vs new ones

e2055261
22-07-2009, 05:31
I was given a chimera as a gift the other day which was nice. I have been holding off buying any chimeras as i know that a new version is coming out later in the year. How do people feel about having new models mixed with old ones? Don't you just find it annoying when you buy some models only to have new and improved models of the same type come out a month later? Do you put off buying models when you know that there is a new version of the same type coming out?

Wise Guy Sam
22-07-2009, 05:39
Sweet gift. There is a new Chimera but I guess this gives you a standout command transport or something of the like =s.

I tend to wait for new mini's, hence the lack of space wolves on my painting desk. But I am Anal (hehe) about this sort of thing, Alot of people dont mind mixing at all. Sometimes an older version of a mini can be alot better e.g Alot of people like the older versions of the greater Deamons opposed to the current mini's (not me though, I like me the new and shiney stuff)

Voleron
22-07-2009, 05:43
Well, first up, a new version isn't coming out later this year, that we know of. The hellhound kit is, but that's mostly different, despite the same chassis.

Otherwise, no-one in their right mind should care about mixing new and old models, barring any massive rules-affecting difference, such as a base-size change or whatnot being mixed together in the same unit.

Besides, new models aren't necessarially improved. Daemonettes, for example. When I saw the leaked pics of the plasic ones, I horded as many of the good metal ones as I could.

For the same reason its easy to not be sprung with a surprise invalidation - the rumours on here are a good couple months in advance, so its easy to plan ahead. I don't find it to be too huge an issue.

Serpent
22-07-2009, 05:43
I've got several older Chimera-based vehicles in my Guard army. I wouldn't mind using the new and improved look for just one vehicle - unless it was a significant size difference, like the Rhino variants.

And remember, Guard Regiments make do with what they got. Make it part of the background! "So, the 3rd Squad got the crappy old Chimera, prone to breaking down..." Name it "Old Reliable", just for kicks. :)

MajorWesJanson
22-07-2009, 06:38
Size and shape are the same, at least going by the Hellhound sprues. Any changes will be in the turret, maybe driver compartment, and upper rear. Just call it a different pattern, such as how the basic plastic Russ is Phaeton pattern, and the new Demolisher looks to be Arkurian pattern.

Bloodknight
22-07-2009, 06:46
That's the best way of handling it, I think. Also, the new IG tanks don't look vastly different to the old ones, it's not like the Rhino redesign which still didn't stop me from fielding old Rhinos/Preds/Vindicator in my Chaos army. The Index Astartes even suggested that many chapters still keep the old marks in running condition.

Khornies & milk
22-07-2009, 06:56
I couldn't give a toss about mixing new and older models,it gives the Army character and can easily be fitted into their Background if you're that anal about stuff like that.

It would be pretty silly to buy a current model if you knew there was a newer version coming out in a month or so, especially if such things annoyed you. I would hold off if I knew a new Version was in the near future, well until the pictures surfaced and it was to my liking.

djinn8
22-07-2009, 07:52
This came up the other day in a game. I had an immobilised Hellhound that wanted to fire backwards. The turret wont turn as far as I would have liked and so I had to forgo shooting with it. Now if I had one of those flashy future-tech Hellhound that are due to be released, the turret would have had a greater arch of fire since the fuel drums wouldn't be in the way (I think?). But meh... guess my guard are just going to have to cope with the crappy Mk1 chassis. I can live with it.

Onisuzume
22-07-2009, 08:40
I don't mind mixing old&new models.
My entire ork collection (around 500-600 points) consists entirely of 2nd edition models.
My Dark Angels also have about two squads worth of old models (again 2nd edition).
Even my Lizardmen have plenty of old and new models (mostly 5th edition, and some 6th/7th edition). Bought the Blood Bowl kroxigor just last week to fit in with my other krox (as a unit leader most likely)

stainawarjar
22-07-2009, 09:02
This came up the other day in a game. I had an immobilised Hellhound that wanted to fire backwards. The turret wont turn as far as I would have liked and so I had to forgo shooting with it. Now if I had one of those flashy future-tech Hellhound that are due to be released, the turret would have had a greater arch of fire since the fuel drums wouldn't be in the way (I think?). But meh... guess my guard are just going to have to cope with the crappy Mk1 chassis. I can live with it.

Don't turret weapons fire 360 anyway?

LoneSniperSG
22-07-2009, 09:27
Doesn't stop me unless the older stuff (Like some metal guardsmen) look out of scale with the new things, but that seems to be a rare case, so.

Lord Damocles
22-07-2009, 10:10
Don't turret weapons fire 360 anyway?

Turret-mounted weapons can usually rotate 360, together with the entire turret, unless the design of the model prevents this.
Characters for the character limit!

AFnord
22-07-2009, 11:45
I for one don't mind mixing and matching models from different eras. They can add a lot of character to the army (older ork models makes for perfect yoofs (young orks), as they are smaller, older vehicle models can represent different versions of the same type (not all Leman russes are identical, they differ a bit between different forge worlds))

Alx_152
22-07-2009, 12:02
I once fielded an Apocalypse force consisting of terminators from all editions. The Space Hulk ones, the metal ones and the new plastic ones. I only got positive comments about it.

And my IG consist of models from all editions. With the right paintjob, nobody notices.

As long as it is a valid GW model nobody can complain about it's age.

Monospot
22-07-2009, 12:39
Considering my armies consist of models from 1989-2009, my vote would be to mix those suckas.

chromedog
22-07-2009, 12:42
My marines use the original rhinos for their transports, but the newer hulls for their tanks. I have a mix of speeders and even a squad of bikers on metal bikes.

Mix 'em up. To the SM, it's all a venerated holy relic. To not use them is akin to desecration of their spirits. They're also used to honour particular marines (as in you have to earn the right to wear it/use it).

Bellygrub
22-07-2009, 12:46
I have no problem mixing older models. The only time I really cringe at it is when scale becomes an issue. For example my Gorka Morka trucks are now retired since they're to small to carry a grot :D

Talos
22-07-2009, 13:16
My ork army is a mix of 2ed orks, Gorkamorka ork and hte new ones. I like the look as the hordes vary in size.
The old Gorka Morka trukks have been turned into Buggies due to size and tbh they dont look great.
I find that I prefer alot of the older models, I really dont think its true that newer models are better than older.
The old Chaos RT marines are awesome and much better than the GW ones now. Just painted 5 slaanesh RT marines and they do have alot of detail on them.

SPYDER68
22-07-2009, 13:45
The difference between the new and old chimera is small.. It will be no big deal..

i *might* get 1 new chimera for my command squad.. but thats about it.. so far from pics i prefer the current one.

The Custodian
22-07-2009, 14:43
I like mising old and new, heck I refer the oldhive tyrant to the new one (crest one), much better for a flyrant... I wish that I could have gotten more old modles for my other aies, my altasar force could look better with it and I prefer the older models in my counts collection (old skellies and manfred, manfred=much better with hair)...

Go ahead and mix it up, gives the newbies something to be envious of when they play you...

Also wish I could have gotten my hands on some old SM landspeeders (the metal ones) for a pre heresy army I have planned for next year...

LonelyPath
22-07-2009, 14:55
I always seem to be mixing old and new miniatures and tanks, it saves me having to go out and buy so many of the new ones whenever a new version of something is released.

Poseidal
22-07-2009, 15:00
My Eldar is a mix of 1st to current edition models. A lot of my Aspect squads have mixed models from all three model eras!

I even had a tripod heavy weapon platform, though I cannibilised it to fix my old style War Walker.

e2055261
23-07-2009, 06:09
Thanks for the comments. I know it doesn't really matter but it's annoying, all the same.

Cry of the Wind
23-07-2009, 12:31
I love mixing and matching. Mostly in my WHFB Lizardmen army but I do find the odd old 40k thing neat. I have the old Psyker lord as well as the new one just because he looked cool then and still does. I might grab parts from new models to update the old (like the staff of the old Pysker now has a new sanctioned psyker staff head).

George Dorn
24-07-2009, 13:10
I have no problem mixing older models. The only time I really cringe at it is when scale becomes an issue. For example my Gorka Morka trucks are now retired since they're to small to carry a grot :D

Isn't it a bit like adding a drop of water to a Gremlin? Out pop 12 Boyz in stead.

Born Again
24-07-2009, 13:28
Alot of people like the older versions of the greater Deamons opposed to the current mini's (not me though, I like me the new and shiney stuff)

I know what you mean, but I'd hardly call the GD's new... some of those are over ten years old...

Besides, new models aren't necessarially improved. Daemonettes, for example. When I saw the leaked pics of the plasic ones, I horded as many of the good metal ones as I could.

I wish I had :(

Anyway, there shouldn't be any problem in this case. Mix away. It can add character to a force, or use it as a special model like a command vehicle.

Mr Stu
24-07-2009, 15:13
Mixing old and new minis is all part of the fun. Some of the late 90's termie models are great. i love the Inquisitor termies and the SM captain.

The plastic warlord titans for epic are a darn sigjht better looking than the mechwarrior lump of metal we have now. I have four plastic warlords, they look great.

Sorros
24-07-2009, 15:14
Some of the OOP stuff is pretty cool, like the Eldar Musicians (which I have :))

Makes the army a little more unique, using them as Warlocks.

Some older things are better than newer ones. Doesn't matter if the newer ones look better anyway, just keep using the tank as is so you don't need to buy another one.

eltanko
24-07-2009, 20:20
I love having older models, I purposely bought a box of 2nd edition space marines, gives the army a bit more personality, as most people seem to only want the newest designs, to me the older ones are really cool, and of course nostalgic.

ElTanko

Pacific
24-07-2009, 22:39
i think the only problem is with some of the older Rogue-Trader era miniatures, which tend to be 26mm rather than 28mm+. In particular, some of the marines look far smaller than their modern counterparts.

However, I think the rarity and novelty of having an army comprised entirely of such models would normally mean all but the most banal of opponents would have no problems playing against it!

Occulto
24-07-2009, 23:03
I've got no problem mixing old and new models (I do it myself). But some old models do look as ugly as sin IMHO and no amount of nostalgia for the old days can stop me cringing when I see them. :p

Cuda
24-07-2009, 23:04
I was given a chimera as a gift the other day which was nice. I have been holding off buying any chimeras as i know that a new version is coming out later in the year. How do people feel about having new models mixed with old ones? Don't you just find it annoying when you buy some models only to have new and improved models of the same type come out a month later? Do you put off buying models when you know that there is a new version of the same type coming out?

Lets see, I have the very first Chaos Dread (the one with the skull and big brain frilled head, 2 first Land Raiders, Cannon Of Khorne (which I use as a Vindicator), Plastic Plague Marines, Berserkers, Daemonettes 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th ed. first Sisters of Battle (ugly), old Predator, lotta old Rhinos. Old lead Marines, Palaquin of Nurgle, Jess Goodwins Thousand Sons, Emperor's Children (beautiful scuplts). Original Noise Marines with the Guitars, Goffik Rockers, Thrugg Bullneck's Raiders.
To answer your question, I use the old with the new. Some old models are pretty bad, but some are are better, like the Noise Marines with the guitars and 3rd Daemonettes. When I have the cash I buy it, I ain't waiting, especially with the DE.

Cuda...

Khornies & milk
25-07-2009, 01:02
I've got no problem mixing old and new models (I do it myself). But some old models do look as ugly as sin IMHO and no amount of nostalgia for the old days can stop me cringing when I see them. :p

LOL...that's for sure. I have copies of the 'Book of Astronomican', and 'Codex Imperialis' and some of those minis are ***** to say the least.

Thank God for progress.

Kriegfreak
25-07-2009, 05:44
I love mixing old and new models. Heck, once you have some the older ones, they become much harder to get once the newer ones come around. Many of the older kits can be quite a chore to construct, with less then detailed instructions as well. The newer kits are much better about this. Pieces go together extremely well (most of the designs being done on computer nowadays). However, some of the older kits have extra pieces that are cool to, the newer Demolisher kit, as can example, doesn't even come with a tank accessory sprue - lame!. Though this only really seems to concern vehicles, the newer plastic infantry models, despite being in smaller numbers per box, tend to have lots of amazing toys and I wouldn't even want older boxes of stuff unless I was desperate to bulk out an army.