PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Critique

TwinDeath
22-07-2009, 15:05
Here's the hook for a campaign I'm writing for use at my college in the fall. We play with each player controlling one member of the warband, and the GM controlling the Ooglie-booglies/opposing warband. I spent most of last year playing an IG vet, but our then-GM graduated, so I stepped up to the plate. Comments and criticism are welcome.

While I doubt that this applies, if there are any forum members in the Geneseo, New York area reading this who wish to play =][= in the fall, please do not read this thread.

With that out of the way, the hook.

+++ MESSAGE FROM LORD HIGH INQUISITOR ACARIO PAVATE +++

Inquisitor,

It has come to my attention that a member of the nigh-heretical Cult Mechanicus has supposedly gone rogue. Allegedly separated from all influence or approval from the Fabricator-General, Secutor-Magos Hauptus Cucurbita has, our intelligence indicates, turned to the forces of chaos. Repulsive atrocities formed from the void energies and lifeless steel crawl around the area we have decided to be his current hideout. Some reports indicate that the Secutor-Magos has furthered his defilement by incorporating the vile technologies of the Xenos races, something that even the overly radical TechPriests regard as a cardinal sin.

When the Fabricator-General was informed of our findings, he claimed to have had no knowledge of and no contact with Secutor-Magos Cucurbita, but someone has been making regular drops consisting of imperial credits and information at a clearing near the suspected hideout of the heretic. It has long been the aim of the Cult Mechanicus to cast off their glorious flesh and remake themselves in an image that is not like that of the Emperor. What if they have decided to allow one lone, deniable agent the freedom to commit the heresy they have been flirting with for so many centuries?

Find the heretic Secutor-Magos Hauptus Cucurbita. Find his supplier for Xenos tech. Find the link to the Fabricator-General. Purge the unclean.

For the Emperor’s glory.

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

Yes, I know I'm playing fast and loose with the Inquisition rank system.

kaled
22-07-2009, 17:33
Some reports indicate that the Secutor-Magos has furthered his defilement by incorporating the vile technologies of the Xenos races, something that even the overly radical TechPriests regard as a cardinal sin.The Eighth Universal Law states 'The Alien Mechanism is a Perversion of the True Path', and while some members of the AdMech take this to mean that xenos technology is to be shunned as heresy, there are others within the AdMech who believe that although corrupted, the knowledge to be found within xenos technology can be salvaged to further the Quest for Knowledge. These beliefs vary widely from one forge world to the next, often depending on the views held by the highest ranking magi.

That said, when speaking to a member of the Inquisition, a Tech-Priest is not likely to let on that he and his peers actively investigate alien technology, so I have no problem with members of the Inquisition believing that the AdMech all hold staunchly anti-xenos views.

Yes, I know I'm playing fast and loose with the Inquisition rank system.I don't think there's a problem with anything here - an Inquisitor Lord is handing an investigation to an Inquisitor and he's framed his 'request' as an order (which the Inquisitor will no doubt obey given that the Lord has some degree of influence over him).

Are you playing at 28mm or 54? Any chance of some photos of your games/characters? I'm sure people would be interested to see them.

TwinDeath
22-07-2009, 21:45
We're in 54mm, but we tend to use the "that's close enough" version of 54mm. All the players are full time students, so whatever we can pick up cheap gets used. I'll post pics later of some of the models, but game session pics will have to wait until the fall semester.

I don't think there's a problem with anything here - an Inquisitor Lord is handing an investigation to an Inquisitor and he's framed his 'request' as an order (which the Inquisitor will no doubt obey given that the Lord has some degree of influence over him).

Great, thanks. I probably should have mentioned, but my entire exposure to the 40k universe consists of the LRB and several hours on the Lexicanum, as well as your starting guide on B&S, kaled. Any and all advice or commentary is greatly welcomed.

Allen
23-07-2009, 07:39
Quite good...just a couple of toughts. First: the rogue Magos title shouldn't be "Magos Secutor" or simply "Secutor" instead of "Secutor-Magos"?
Second: as Kaled said, the ranks in the backstory are not over the top. Don't worry.

May I ask if this is going to be a small series of missions or a full campaign? If it's going to be a campaign maybe a simple plot twist (or two) could be interesting for the players. Maybe the Inquisitor Lord is framing evidences against the Secutor, to weaken the political power of the Fabricator General in the Sub Sector...or maybe it's the Secutor toying with the Fabricator and the Inquisitor Lord. Or everyone including the players is plotting against someone else and...hey, was that an Eldar?!
I know, I know...reeks of clichè. But I was just using examples :D

kaled
23-07-2009, 17:41
First: the rogue Magos title shouldn't be "Magos Secutor" or simply "Secutor" instead of "Secutor-Magos"?In an organisation as huge as the AdMech, and with variations between Forge Worlds, it doesn't seem too unreasonable for there to be someone who terms himself a 'Secutor-Magos'.

TwinDeath
23-07-2009, 19:50
Well, the rank for the rogue Magos could easily be wrong, but I like the sound of it. ;) What I got from the Lexicanum was that the different "branches" of the Techpriests were like branches of the military - each with their own ranks and hierarchy, ultimately answerable to the Commander in Chief, the Fabricator General. Using this system, either Secutor-Magos or Magos Secutor could work, but I figured it'd be more 'logical' (read: machine like) to have branch first, then rank within that branch. Thoughts?

May I ask if this is going to be a small series of missions or a full campaign? If it's going to be a campaign maybe a simple plot twist (or two) could be interesting for the players.

It's going to be a full campaign broken up into a series of missions, as we tend to take a while for each skirmish. And yes, I already had a plot twist in mind.

The current skirmish plan:

1) Landing on the planet. As the Magos is fully allied with chaos, several monsters and prototypes of his experiments to combine chaos and technology into the ultimate power will teleport onto the ship the players are traveling in and attempt to sabotage it.

2) The gun runners. The players either stumble upon or sneak into a meeting between the Magos's flunkies and the smugglers, or they arrange a meeting with the smugglers themselves. Either way, at least one of the smugglers must remain alive at the end of the skirmish. The players will notice a masked character leave rather quickly once the fight starts, dropping a sword with the seal of the inquisition on it.

3) The drop point. The players must retrieve a case and defend it from more agents of the Magos. The agent's only goal will be to get the case and escape. Upon examination of the case the players will find a recording from the Fabricator General, several blueprints for key military technologies, and millions of Imperial Credits. A closer look will reveal strange cuts and jumps in the message from the Fabricator.

4) Outside the hideout. Several heavily armed guards and autoguns greet the players as they walk towards the hideout, an ancient Cult Mechanicus lab. Getting to the entrance of the hideout will take quite a bit of effort.

5) Inside the lab. Finally the players meet the Magos, who will be a formidable enemy thanks to the countless modifications he has made to himself, including the infusion of chaos powers. Also present is the Magos's prize creation: a 40k Chaos Soul Grinder Engine. Survival alone will be difficult, let alone victory.

6) The reveal. As the players return to their ship, rested and fully recovered from their injuries, they are stopped by the Lord High Inquisitor (LHI), a space marine (or two), and one or two enforcers, all heavily armed with weapons ready. The LHI steps forward.
"Congratulations. You have exceeded my wildest expectations, and done all that I asked. Clearly, I underestimated you. You weren't supposed to survive. I needed martyrs, not heroes. Clear and final reasons for the cleansing of the heretical Cult Mechanicus, not survivors to dispute my version of the facts. Lay down your weapons. Return my case and my sword. Prepare to die with honor."
The LHI will be one of the most powerful Inquisitors, psyker abilities and everything, and i'm considering converting Tyrus's or Eisenhorn's model for him. The marines will be the basic type (no real power boost needed there), as will the enforcers.

So there's the plot as i have it. Any thoughts, questions or suggestions?

precinctomega
24-07-2009, 09:12
They will all die in the 6th scenario.

R.

Allen
24-07-2009, 09:30
They will all die in the 6th scenario.

R.

My exact thought.
Consider the possibility to tone down the sixth scenario...maybe retcon the masked figure seen in the second scenaro in one of the elite mooks of the Inquisitor Lord. This guy will then confront the players with a single marine (or, better, with "only" some arbites/inquisitorial stormtroopers) in the sixth scenario.

Let the elite mook gloat a bit before the fight, and play a holo-message from the Inquisitor Lord telling the things you already wrote. If the arbites/stormtroopers and the mook have the advantage of terrain (and they should have, they're ambushing the players after all) it will be a very difficult situation...potentially a mortal one. But if you throw in an elite Inquisitor Lord, two Space Marines and some Arbites that is a death sentence for the players.

Also, the "sword-dropping masked figure" in the second scenario confuse me. Have you placed additional clues in other scenari* about a second inquisitorial force in the compound?

* that's the correct plural form of scenario in italian. Now warseer knows. And knowing is half the battle!

Daredhnu
02-08-2009, 20:52
the campaign seems a little uhm one-tracked? maybe there could be different paths the group could take to reach the end goal/scenario.
you could drop hints etc. to where they could venture next but leave the choice of scenario up to the players.
(well except for the first and last one that is, where they are attacked.)

Gen.Steiner
05-08-2009, 00:35
I agree wholeheartedly with the 'elite mook' concept.

madwargamer
16-08-2009, 21:32
Maybe the 6th scenario should rather be played as a breakout, whoever manages to get off/cross the board wins?
This leaves the story more open and allows the players to act in a way they feel their character should: run, bide time and fight again or go down in a blaze of glory and start another campaign.

Nasha
19-08-2009, 21:46
man my cousin played a single Spud marine and it took my whole warband on without even breaking a sweat. then my One armed Cyber Gladiator took its leg and head off wth its tin opener
game ended
kerby

Nasha
27-08-2009, 20:37
are we gonna get any more updates?
im trying to write my own campaign and i need ideas
kerby

Anarchist Angel
27-08-2009, 21:47
I doubt it buddy, there hasn't been a post on here in 8 days and there hasn't been anything you could call an 'update' in like 25 :p

Nasha
28-08-2009, 16:48
bugger
kerby