PDA

View Full Version : Basing for a Forge World Valkyrie

Stillfrosty
23-07-2009, 04:36
Hello All!

I recently finished a Forge World Valkyrie model that has been sitting in my room for over 2 years now. However it doesn't come with a base and I am in a dilemma with basing options. I have no idea what size it should be, what materials to use, so on and so forth.

So I was wondering if anyone has had some experience with this model and how I should design a base for it that will not break and is removable for transportation. Also, don't suggest the plastic one GW came out with for the plastic Valkyrie as this is an extremely heavy model and I know it will break that base. Thanks in advance.

kizzt
23-07-2009, 05:39
I would definitely be going for something of a similar size and shape if not exactly traced from the plastic model's base. Hopefully a decent trophy maker should be able to make a base out of mdf or plywood that would meet the criteria. As for suspending it, i'd go for either a brass rod of decent width, or perhaps a pair of clear acrylic/plastic rods (one at each end of the oval) to spread the weight a little.

Bloodknight
23-07-2009, 05:47
Also, don't suggest the plastic one GW came out with for the plastic Valkyrie as this is an extremely heavy model and I know it will break that base.

Why would it break the base? The base is pretty sturdy, and FW sell them now for their flyers.

Khornies & milk
23-07-2009, 06:07
Plus you could always shape and super glue something into the bottom of the base to make it even more heavy/rigid.

Voleron
23-07-2009, 06:37
Agreed; The plastic flyer base is excellent and works just fine for the resin Valks.

The only real adjustment i'd make to it would be to glue something reasonably heavy flush with the underside to counterbalance the resin model's extra weight.

Cry of the Wind
23-07-2009, 11:07
The new flying base works great. Your best bet is to buy a Vulture Gunship. Now hear me out... first you get a really cool model that you'll probably want anyway (seeing as you already bought a FW Valk this one is cheaper and half plastic now). Second you get a full plastic Valk kit with the resin Vulture parts. The vulture has its own pre-made cross to fit its flight stand in. This means you can buy another flight stand and use the plastic Valkyrie attachment point that you will have left over from your Vulture.

Now you have two cool vertibirds both on great flying bases!

Of course failing that I can see pinning working to get a new stand on the resin one.

BigBadBull
23-07-2009, 14:38
GW is now selling the big flight bases too...
$15 order in the US gets free shipping threw the end of the month.

Zoring
23-07-2009, 15:05
You don't get an entire Valk with the resin Vulture, you get most of it, but not the sprue with the cargo hold on

Cry of the Wind
23-07-2009, 15:18
You don't get an entire Valk with the resin Vulture, you get most of it, but not the sprue with the cargo hold on

Hmmm..., I think mine came with a full kit. I'll double check when I get home.

Stillfrosty
23-07-2009, 16:00
Well I wasn't aware that forge world sold them along with their flyers now. So if I bought one does it come with parts to affix them to the flyer without gluing it on? Because I want to make it removable for transportation purposes.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think the GW valk has a crosshair piece that fits the flying base design but I am wondering if that is a a part of the valkyrie kit or apart of the flying base.

Also I purchased the valk 2 years ago at a discounted rate off of a friend, so I know they have a cheaper plastic one now and the vulture conversion kit. But thats not what the question is about.

Cry of the Wind
23-07-2009, 21:32
That plastic cross piece is a part of the Valk kit not the flying stand so all the FW flyers that aren't designed with that in mind (all but the Vulture) don't have an easy way to fit on them.

Also turns out Zoring is right and you're missing the one sprue with the plastic cross. That wrecks my master plan :mad:.