PDA

View Full Version : Something New..

MrSatan
23-07-2009, 12:13
I need help from you guys.

Back in the day i would of condsidered myself a pretty good gamer, I would win store tourneys and once I won regionals with my beloved Eldar. I quit to help another store run MTG tournaments and now I'm looking to get back in the hobby. I've buzzed around ebay, read some of the new codexes and went to my local GW during games night and the game seems at the minute...well...dull!

All GW is pumping out is marines and then more marines. Apart from that everyone is buying orks just because they are the only new stuff different from marines! I like doing underplayed armies that no-one else really plays as I hate seeing the same armies over and over again(at my old store there was only me and 1 other who played Eldar). So I thought ok I do a variant list. I posted here asking for a link to any variant lists and was told variant lists are dead. I checked the IG codex and doctrines are dead. And with no new races at all and GW concentrating on the damn gloryboys in big armor I don't know what do do.

For a while I was really thinking dark eldar but apparently they are not gunna get an update for at least a year (its the same list that they had when I quit nearly a decade ago!) and the impossibility of transporting their vehicles. I'm at a lost and starting to lose my new found enthusiasm for the game.

So whats a guy to do? I need some inspiration for an army thats not played much that I can go into my store and barely have anyone else playing or not at all because a night of marines vs marines is not fun! Why don't GW realise that the game needs more diversity. Sure they make marines have different painted armor and SLIGHTLY tweak the rules but they are still marines.

Sorry for the rant but I needed it off my chest

EDIT - I Think this is in the wrong place. If so please move it mods.

Edit 2 - Gaymer...lol

Jono-NI
23-07-2009, 12:15
Urm i think this is in the wrong place :(

Why don't you try Chaos Space Marines :P

MajorWesJanson
23-07-2009, 12:16
Try daemons?

MrSatan
23-07-2009, 12:22
Try daemons?

Daemons never really struck me as a 'real' 40K army in its own right. More like added juice for CSM. I may look at the codex.

grissom2006
23-07-2009, 12:26
Not meant to ask questions in this forum

Daemonslave
23-07-2009, 12:27
Tau? Necrons? Red Corsairs? Chaos Renegades (the FW stuff)? There's still a few choices even if the SM do get all of GW love.

laudarkul
23-07-2009, 12:44
Guard maybe? Ok doctrines are gone but you can make different Guard armies (mech/vet/line infantry/armored). Lot of variants. I think that will be moved to General Thread so you can make also a poll;).

genestealer_baldric
23-07-2009, 12:53
try tau people they are a challanging and very very underused, also they are not going to updated as soon as you buy them. They are slighty like eldar by being a glass hammer but alot of fun to try and master.

iam sick of marines thats why i play either nids or tau i quickly got board of orks etc. and i come to my other suggestion they are alot of fun a play diffrent from other races but with a new dex in the pipework maybe wait and see with these :)

MrSatan
23-07-2009, 12:56
try tau people they are a challanging and very very underused, also they are not going to updated as soon as you buy them. They are slighty like eldar by being a glass hammer but alot of fun to try and master.

iam sick of marines thats why i play either nids or tau i quickly got board of orks etc. and i come to my other suggestion they are alot of fun a play diffrent from other races but with a new dex in the pipework maybe wait and see with these :)

Yeah but whats the odds of the next codexes being Codex - Insert Chapter Name here

x-esiv-4c
23-07-2009, 13:00
I know what you mean.

My last 7 games have been against Space marine armies. 6 of them painted blue....

SPYDER68
23-07-2009, 13:05
Space Marines have been becoming a Mintority around here.

theweck
23-07-2009, 13:13
I would play orks. There is no god but Mork (or possibly Gork) and Ghazghkull is his (their?) prophet.

Huge Variety, and low enough point costs to bring most of that variety to any given game.

genestealer_baldric
23-07-2009, 13:26
I know what you mean.

My last 7 games have been against Space marine armies. 6 of them painted blue....

Amen to that thats why in the last few games i avoided playing them except something diffrent e.g sisters/necrons etc.. and its more fun this way

spetswalshe
23-07-2009, 13:30
If you want an underplayed army, I'd go for one that won't be updated anytime soon. Whenever a new 'dex comes out, half the current players have already reserved their seat on the bandwagon and you'll find yourself playing the most played army again.

Necrons? I'd personally go for DE and use counts-as transports. As long as it's a skimmer and has lots of hard angles, you could scratchbuild pretty much anything.

MrSatan
23-07-2009, 13:33
If you want an underplayed army, I'd go for one that won't be updated anytime soon. Whenever a new 'dex comes out, half the current players have already reserved their seat on the bandwagon and you'll find yourself playing the most played army again.

Necrons? I'd personally go for DE and use counts-as transports. As long as it's a skimmer and has lots of hard angles, you could scratchbuild pretty much anything.

I've always like DE but raiders/ravagers/talos/hellions are a nightmare to carry round in one peice

x-esiv-4c
23-07-2009, 13:37
Aye Baldric, it's getting quite annoying. Funny thing is all of the marine players i've seen are packing plas/las configurations to counter each other. I start decking my IG with plasma guns and I get called cheesy.

EVIL INC
23-07-2009, 14:05
It could just be your area. Marine (types) have always been the most playered but overall in my area at least, I have seen an upsurge in other armies including orks, tau, gaurd eldar and even necrons.
Try "foraging" farther afield.

x-esiv-4c
23-07-2009, 14:11
Yeah, i've been trying to find non-marine opponents are they are far and few between. Well, you know what they say: "If you can't beat them, leave them". Yay Flames of War! :D

shadow hunter
23-07-2009, 14:33
I'm lucky I guess. Only play amongst close friends - but as we are all olde(30ish) and have been gamnig a while, we all have pretty much every army - so you never know what you might be up against.

Why do you not fancy using your Eldar if there was only one other player?

Tau is another option - but I find them a little dull compared to my other armies.

I've just started redoing my guard- but haven't tried the new rules out yet so cant comment on them (awaiting codex still)

Orks I enjoy using. I like my Lootas and big boom gun, along with my mega armoured Nobz and a couple of squads of shoota boyz. I love having a shooty Ork army. Surprises people, as they dont expect so many shots from an ORk army - yet they are handy in combat still.

I've also just started getting my Nids back off my mate who was borrowing them to fill out his armies - but haven't used them for a long time (since the codex before the current one)

And Dark Eldar despite being old can be competitive still. Just that there's only a few good choices. I know what you mean about transport but i got bought a metal brief case (like those used for camera's) with tear out foam that does a great job of carrying the 2 x talos raider and ravager.

If I were you I'd think about Eldar, Dark Eldar or Tau

Lamoron
23-07-2009, 15:35
Well, it seems the OP is a bit like me, and all this new streamlining and dumbing down is just dull to him as well.

I loved playing guard when they were underpowered and able to field a new army composition and "feel" every single game. Now I play Orks, because out of all the races left, they are the only ones to be powerful and fun at the same time.

And I always get told I can just "bring all the fun bad units" in any army list, but half the fun was struggling to win with what was in the codex, not deciding to play a poor list and loose.

Creeping Dementia
23-07-2009, 15:40
You should play SISTERS!!!!11!!

Seriously though, Sisters are awesome, the only downside being the cost$$. I've never had more fun than I have since I've started with Sisters, they're uncommon, tactically challenging but very competitive, and pulling off a perfectly timed firestorm of Divine Guidance goodness is incredibly rewarding. Mech Sisters, read up on them and see if you like what you see.

TimLeeson
23-07-2009, 17:29
You could do what I do and convert/build models from a lesser known race and just use whatever rules appeal to you ect. I've seen other people do armies like this as well.

Heres a few examples I found online :
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=57491 (Barghesi)
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26953&st=20 (K'nib)
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28834 (Hrud)
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=41345&hl= (Tarellian)

II Orar II
24-07-2009, 00:30
Marines are actually rarer among experienced gamers because they grow a hate for them making marines a minority in my opinion on warseer. Those that don't go to the foul xenos races often change from smurfs to wolves or templar making codex chapters actually rare on warseer. If you want something different go to daemons or tau both underplayed.

T-hawk
24-07-2009, 03:10
Go for the Korps! They are pretty rare and look great when painted....

Vaktathi
24-07-2009, 03:13
I need help from you guys.

Back in the day i would of condsidered myself a pretty good gamer, I would win store tourneys and once I won regionals with my beloved Eldar. I quit to help another store run MTG tournaments and now I'm looking to get back in the hobby. I've buzzed around ebay, read some of the new codexes and went to my local GW during games night and the game seems at the minute...well...dull!

All GW is pumping out is marines and then more marines. Apart from that everyone is buying orks just because they are the only new stuff different from marines! I like doing underplayed armies that no-one else really plays as I hate seeing the same armies over and over again(at my old store there was only me and 1 other who played Eldar). So I thought ok I do a variant list. I posted here asking for a link to any variant lists and was told variant lists are dead. I checked the IG codex and doctrines are dead. And with no new races at all and GW concentrating on the damn gloryboys in big armor I don't know what do do.

For a while I was really thinking dark eldar but apparently they are not gunna get an update for at least a year (its the same list that they had when I quit nearly a decade ago!) and the impossibility of transporting their vehicles. I'm at a lost and starting to lose my new found enthusiasm for the game.

So whats a guy to do? I need some inspiration for an army thats not played much that I can go into my store and barely have anyone else playing or not at all because a night of marines vs marines is not fun! Why don't GW realise that the game needs more diversity. Sure they make marines have different painted armor and SLIGHTLY tweak the rules but they are still marines.

Sorry for the rant but I needed it off my chest

EDIT - I Think this is in the wrong place. If so please move it mods.

Edit 2 - Gaymer...lol

Try Imperial Guard.

A much greater variety of models and paint schemes than any other army can hope to achieve, a huge number of possible units to play around with, a solid number of builds, the army is very competitive, and best of all, it isn't Space Marines.

blake
24-07-2009, 04:24
If your a solid gamer like you say you are, you can pickup any army out there now and start winning with it. Demons are great option now, that people really underestimate till someone good plays with them and spanks em, you just gotta realize that the chaos gods are fickle and they may bone you a few times. Even with some super powerhouse army lists out there currently i think in a given situation if your a good player, you can play to win and do so with pretty much any army out there.

Oh and the reason why you see so much Marine vs Marine is that there is currently a lot of versatility in the Marine selection. I have a Raven-wing army that i love putting on the board, and i don't even really consider it in my head as playing space marines but something else entirely.

Warhammer 40k right now is without a doubt the most popular its ever been before. I love the current incarnation of the game, and many people i know see it as the best its ever been. Look at the armies and find what you like, if your good you can win games (barring such extreme examples as an pure deamonhunters army).

Romanus
24-07-2009, 08:45
If you arn't into the tornament scene too much you could try something like Kroot only list with options from Imperial Armour 3. I'm biased towards guard so go then, otherwise Tau must be one of the least played armies that I have seen, actually cometo think of it I have never played against them. Just roll with what ever grabs your attention and then jazz it up with some FW goodnees.

Cheers,
Rom

Fay_Redd
24-07-2009, 09:09
Space Marines are Games Workshop biggest sellers, they are the trademark of warhammer 40,000. you ask an outsider if they know about warhammer they will likely say space marines. I play the Space Marines in a large and tactically flexible force, which is constantly interesting and fun to play.

In my area (oxford) The Space Marines are quite scarse at the moment, Tau are actually coming back and there's even 3 dark eldar armies. If marines are popular just think of your store as a part of the imperium where a lot of chapters are gathered. I did that when the new codex came out, I told myself i wouldnt buy the book cos it would be bandwagon but i still did, along with about 150 worth of models.

I don't like people effectively "bashing" the space marines cos they are everywhere, it gets on my nerves to be honest. I think they are a brilliant and interesting army.

As for you deciding on an army i have to agree with spetswalshe, pick up an army that isnt going to be updated any-time soon and learn
to play it. The Dark Eldar for instance their book may be old and about 85% of the range is awful to look at but they are still a great force and plus you will get noticed for using them.

EDIT

Just dont take Scourge, they are a waste of time. Jump-packs and heavy weapons without relentless. riiiiiight.