PDA

View Full Version : [2000pts Dwarfs] Bring on the 2008 Books!

Quannum
23-07-2009, 17:25
Ok so I've been playtesting my take-all-comers list recently with some surprising, and encouraging results against a lot of the top-tier armies and some truly horrendous builds. Here's the list that I have now tweaked to what I believe fits my playstyle the most efficiently. It mixes decent shooting, decent magic defense with an ultra-solid, nigh-unbreakable, immune to fear and terror centre line. As always, its open to comments:

BALANCED 2000 pts.

Dwarf Lord – 281 pts.
Shieldbearers, GW, MRoSteel, RoResistance, RoStone, MRoChallenge.

BSB Thane – 145 pts.
BSB, RoBattle, RoCourage.

Runesmith – 127 pts.
Shield, RoSpellbreaking, RoSpellbreaking, RoStone.

10 Quarrellers - 120 pts.
Shields.

10 Warriors - 90 pts.
Shields.

18 Longbeards – 266 pts.
Full Command, Shields, RoBattle.

18 Hammerers – 314 pts.
Full Command, Shields, RoBattle, RoStoicism.

20 Slayers – 220 pts.

1 Bolt Thrower – 90 pts.
Engineer, RoPenetrating, RoBurning.

1 Bolt Thrower – 85 pts.
Engineer, RoPenetrating.

1 Organ Gun - 120 pts.

1 Gyrocopter – 140 pts.

TOTAL: 1998 pts.
DP: 5 + 2 Runes

Comments or questions?

Q

Quannum
23-07-2009, 23:51
Bump. Let's get this going!

How well do you think this will fare against the 2008/9 books of late?

Q

Quannum
24-07-2009, 14:13
Bump.....I can keep doing this!

Q

danny-d-b
24-07-2009, 17:08
yep not a bad army though I'd change a few things

1st of all drop all the banner runes on the BSB and make him more surviable by adding master rune of gromril, presivation and either strikeing or cleaveing

after all I'd put him in the longbeard and make them nasty

2nd I'd move the stocicism on to the longbeards so they have (some) protection against fear

3rd I'd 1/2 the slayers and get some miners as well, 5-8 with no other upgreads are great for takeing out warmashines and clameing table quarters

static grass
24-07-2009, 18:14
20 slayers are useful. They can take hit, get mangled up and still be there for your next movement phase setting you up for a charge.

Miners are good too. They just seem abit gimicky and gamey. Yes they can clear off WM crews and go for a TQ but I don't know if I would want to weaken the slayers just for that.

If you have 10 warriors, 10 slayers and 10 Quarellers. They are the units that will get charged. Leaving the the big two stuck on their own.

lcfr
26-07-2009, 05:27
Below are my comments, but I'll preface them by saying that I field what I consider to be an extremely similar list. That said, any "concerns" I might have with your list just reflect why I'm more comfortable with my own version.

Firstly, I don't think you're very efficient with your characters. Your BSB is really, really vulnerable without any runic armour which is a problem because if you think about it, he's actually more important to your army as a whole than your general.

At 2250 you might be justified blowing nearly 300pts on a dwarf lord, but not at 2k imo; even with the MRChallenge, the '08 armies (many of which are either immune to psych or have elite immune to psych units) will rarely fight this guy in close combat. And as far as your runesmith is concerned, 5DD may not be enough to get you by; I feel that the MRBalance is a must-have.

I'm sceptical only about a few things on the rest of your roster. First, I'm not convinced a block of slayers is a good investment (or a strong competitor for a Special choice). Also, the warrior unit is basically adding 90pts to the cost of the longbeards; if you could squeeze 30pts more (shave the lord probably) you'd have yourself a whole new unit of quarrelers.

I won't post the entirety of my 2k list, but I'll just note where it differs. I field a runesmith w/MRBalance, scroll, shield, a BSB that comes in at virtually the same cost as yours but loaded with runic armour and a RCleaving to kill troops, and, in lieu of a lord, I have a ToP (w/MRChallenge instead of MRSwiftness) on Oath stone.

Troopwise, I have a 20strong unit of longbeards w/rstoicism (high enough US means losing to fear-causers is not an issue...I've considered shaving points somewhere to have RCourage and RSanctuary), 24strong warrior block (no GWs obviously), a unit of quarrelers like yours, same size unit of hammerers w/RCourage, 8strong miners, 2x BTs (similar setup again), cannon w/rforging and rburning, an OG and a gyro. At 2250, I include Unkillable Dwarf Lord in the place of Oath-ToP and add a unit of thunderers.

I always play a refused flank or an enduring mtn/corner table setup; this way, I play up my own strengths and minimize my opponents'. Gyro (and sometimes, just sometimes, miners) marchblocks and causes trouble while my artillery and missile unit concentrate on mowing down anything that has a good shot at chewing through my infantry blocks (which are really best at not-dying, rather than killing stuff). Nothing fancy at all really.