PDA

View Full Version : 1500 Dow

Kroxhandler
06-01-2006, 15:50
Just bored enough to put together a Dogs of War-list to be used against HE and WE.
Heroes:
Hireling Wizard on warhorse with barding, lvl.2 life magic. 2xscrolls
Hireling Wizard on warhorse with barding, lvl.2 light magic. 1xscrolls, 1xstone
Paymaster on barded warhorse with HvA, Sh, longbow

Core:
8 Heavy cavalry with standard and barding
9 Duellists with xhw
9 Duellists with xhw
16 pikemen with standard
16 pikemen with standard
13 Xbowmen
13 Xbowmen

Special:
13 Halflings with bows
13 Halflings with bows

Rare:
1 Cannon

Total of 117 models at 1501 pts(we usually allow +/- 10 pts)

The general idea is to form a quite strong defensive line with the pikemen, screened by halflings and duellists who take on smaller (support)units along the way. The cavalry is there as a hammer against the anvil of pikemen. Life and light is two wonderful spells against elves as they (possibly)negate two of their greatest assests: higher skill and ability to stay out of harms way. Any RBT on a hill is going to fear the stone hands, any wardancer is fearful of the woods turning on them. High elven infantry and cavalry can be brought down to size by reducing their WS...

standard formation is quite pretty as well: Cavalry in the middle, pikemen on either side, a wizard each between them and a rolling mass of duellists/halflings along the border.
What do you think? Too much magic?

Atrahasis
06-01-2006, 17:01
Heroes:
Hireling Wizard on warhorse with barding, lvl.2 life magic. 2xscrolls
Hireling Wizard on warhorse with barding, lvl.2 light magic. 1xscrolls, 1xstone
Paymaster on barded warhorse with HvA, Sh, longbow

Having your characters on horses makes them vulnerable - they can be marchblocked and have restricted LOS. Not so important with the lores you've chosen, but they're better off on foot slinking around behind the lines.
Also, scrolls are a lazy choice.

8 Heavy cavalry with standard and barding

8 is an awful size for cavalry - too many to be worthwhile in a single rank, and in 2 ranks you only have a frontage of 4, which won't win any combats. Either drop to 6 or 7 or increase to 10 or 12.

9 Duellists with xhw
9 Duellists with xhwI like my duellists with pistols, but xhw does the job nice and cheaply.

16 pikemen with standard
16 pikemen with standardFair enough, I prefer larger units myself but 2 small units is probably better than one big one in this case.

13 Xbowmen
13 Xbowmen

Special:
13 Halflings with bows
13 Halflings with bows

Rare:
1 CannonAll useful, but that's a frontage of 52 models you have to string out in a line to get all shots, barring the presence of fortuitous hills.

Total of 117 models at 1501 pts(we usually allow +/- 10 pts)Why not just call it a 1510 point game then?

Kroxhandler
06-01-2006, 17:27
All right, thanks for the input Atrahasis. I'll try to munch through the suggestions...
Characters on horse can be marchblocked? Can't they be marchblocked on foot? My thinking is that they have greater speed on horse, meaning better chance at avoiding dangerous spots and getting into position for their spells. Why do you think scrolls are lazy btw? Is there anything else you would suggest?

The cavalry I can agree with, dropping it down to 6 instead, leaving points for increasing the pikemen to 18 each. Enough to take some casulties and still retain 4 ranks, not by much though.

The massive frontage of the ranged troops have been noted. Usually we have a hill or two on each side so I'm thinking the Xbowmen will most likely deploy there alongside the cannon. Wouldn't be bad to have halflings as skirmishers though, perhaps include Lumpin Croop's Fighting Cocks instead? I think I can squeeze in 14(+chars) halflings that way, pretty decent firepower that can invade WE territory.

I think we'll stick with 1500, most of us here tend to only go a point or two over the limit. Not tournament standard but nobody complains.

Revised List:
Wizard - barded horse, lvl.2 light, Scroll+stone
Wizard - barded horse, lvl.2 life, 2xscrolls
Paymaster - barded horse, HvA, Sh, Longbow
6 Heavy Cavalry with standard
2x9 Duellists with xhw
2x18 Pikemen with standard
2x13 Xbowmen
16 Fighting Cocks with Lumpin and Ned included
1 Cannon

Bronzino's Galloper Guns also seems like a tempting variation to the cannon. A little movement and S7 hits never hurt anybody...hehe.

Atrahasis
06-01-2006, 17:42
Characters on horse can be marchblocked? Can't they be marchblocked on foot? My thinking is that they have greater speed on horse, meaning better chance at avoiding dangerous spots and getting into position for their spells.

Yes, characters on horses can be marchblocked. Characters on foot cannot.

If you drop the barding, then the mages are faster at all times (essentially). However, they are ripe targets for missile fire, as on horses they cannot benefit from being within 5" of your infantry.

Why do you think scrolls are lazy btw? Is there anything else you would suggest?I just don't like dispel scrolls. 1 should be enough at 1500 points, to be honest I would rather spend the points on more troops.

Kroxhandler
06-01-2006, 18:47
Yes, characters on horses can be marchblocked. Characters on foot cannot.

If you drop the barding, then the mages are faster at all times (essentially). However, they are ripe targets for missile fire, as on horses they cannot benefit from being within 5" of your infantry.

I just don't like dispel scrolls. 1 should be enough at 1500 points, to be honest I would rather spend the points on more troops.

I found something on p.95 in BRB about characters 'moving on their own' being able to march even within 8" from the enemy. Are you sure that doesn't include characters on horse? Moving on their own might be without a unit I guess, or without mount....hmmm...
Dropping the barding is an excellent suggestion, 5+ or 6+ save doesn't really matter. Taking any save is to be avoided with the wizards.Whoho! loads of points free...eh,almost. I guess I could throw in a lance for the paymaster for the chump change, just in case he/she goes nuts and needs to charge something.

Perhaps 3 scrolls is being a little to cautious, 2 scrolls and 2 stones should make magic pretty even against HE. They have a number of nasty spells, not to mention drain magic, I really don't like HE getting away with throwing magic at their leisure.
If I get really lucky the light-wizard ends up with Blinding light. 9+ is pretty decent to beat with 3 dice, 4 if using a stone. WE with 1/2 movement, WS and BS reduced to 1 is probably their generals biggest nightmare...

Atrahasis
06-01-2006, 18:57
I found something on p.95 in BRB about characters 'moving on their own' being able to march even within 8" from the enemy. Are you sure that doesn't include characters on horse? All of the rules on single model's movement have been replaced. See the Chronicles/Annual 2004 or the downloadable FAQs on the GW site.

Perhaps 3 scrolls is being a little to cautious, 2 scrolls and 2 stones should make magic pretty even against HE. They have a number of nasty spells, not to mention drain magic, I really don't like HE getting away with throwing magic at their leisure.
If I get really lucky the light-wizard ends up with Blinding light. 9+ is pretty decent to beat with 3 dice, 4 if using a stone. WE with 1/2 movement, WS and BS reduced to 1 is probably their generals biggest nightmare...

I think its probably just preference, but I would drop most of the magic items and buy more troops. Power Stones and Dispel scrolls may just fit your style better.

BTW, I agree completely with light being awesome. I love that lore, and one of my wizards always takes it.

Kroxhandler
07-01-2006, 15:04
Small update on the list. Mainly put pistols on the duellists.

lvl.2 Wizard on horse. Life. Scroll&stone.
lvl.2 Wizard on horse. Light. Scroll&stone.
Paymaster on barded horse, HvA, La, LB, Sh

6 Heavy Cav. with barding and standard
9 Duellists with GUNZ!
9 Duellists with GUNZ!
18 Pikemen with standard
18 Pikemen with standard
10 Xbowmen
10 Xbowmen

16 Fighting Cocks

1 Cannon

105 models, 4 spells, PD 6, DD 4, 1501 pts.