PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point Empire list

Lord Kritsch
24-07-2009, 00:33
Greetings everyone. This is a 2000 point Empire list I've come up with. Now, I'm no veteran Empire general, in fact this is my first shot at making an Empire army I actually want to play, so I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement. I'm going for a force with a bit of everything, magic, shooting, and close combat, and that will be fun to play with and look good. So, with that said, please let me know what you think!

Wizard Lord-
Level 4
Armour of Tarnus
Rod of Power
Dispel Scroll

Captain of the Empire-
Battle Standard
Sword of Might
Armour of Meteoric Iron

Warrior Priest-
Heavy Armour
Shield
Sigil of Sigmar
Doomfire Ring

Battle Wizard-
Level 2
Luckstone
Power Stone

24 Swordsmen-
full cmd.

Detachment-
7 Halberdiers

Detachment-
5 Archers

24 Spearmen-
Shields
full cmd.

Detachment-
6 Swordsmen

10 Handgunners

5 Pistoliers-
Musician

6 Knights of the Blazing Sun-
full cmd.
Inner Circle

20 Greatswords-
full cmd.

Detachment-
5 Archers

Great Cannon

Helblaster Volley Gun

TOTAL-1998pts.

chickenworm
24-07-2009, 03:35
I would prefer to give the Wizard lord the VHS, van horstman's speculum. This would protect him from some character killers. Mount him on a barded warhorse too. Mounted characters can join a unit of infantry.

Your BSB looks good.

Your warrior priest could use a barded warhorse too. Replace the sigil with enchanted shield and you would get 1+ armor save.

It's a matter of choice but I would normally let my 2nd wizard to be a scroll caddie. Meaning a level 1 wizard with 2 dispel scrolls.

Your choice of core troops looks okay but I'm just curious at the number of your detachment units. 7 halberdiers and 6 swordsmen. Probably because I don't understand your reason for it but I usually field 9 free company models in a 3x3 formation. They protect my flank and assist in cancelling and giving flank bonus in counter/assist charge. Not to mention the small size for easy maneuver and taking less space.

and oh, I always like 2 cannons. Just to make sure you really get those big ugly nasties.

Caboose123
24-07-2009, 16:46
Caboose is here!

Greetings everyone. This is a 2000 point Empire list I've come up with. Now, I'm no veteran Empire general, in fact this is my first shot at making an Empire army I actually want to play, so I'm sure there's lots of room for improvement. I'm going for a force with a bit of everything, magic, shooting, and close combat, and that will be fun to play with and look good. So, with that said, please let me know what you think!

At first glance it looks like a sturdy impressive list.

Wizard Lord-
Level 4
Armour of Tarnus
Rod of Power
Dispel Scroll

He should be mounted to benefit the most from his armour.

Captain of the Empire-
Battle Standard
Sword of Might
Armour of Meteoric Iron

Pity you can't take a Great Weapon, eh? It's alright, personally I'd prefer Hammer of Judgement.

Warrior Priest-
Heavy Armour
Shield
Sigil of Sigmar
Doomfire Ring

Where is this guy going? I'd mount him and put him with your knights. Doomfire Ring isn't a bad choice, but I'd prefer to see maybe the Orb of Thunder, or Van Horstmann's Speculum here. Orb of Thunder is a "must-dispel" bound item each turn, and at 2k I like to see VHS just because its Empire's only way of killing things like Chaos Lords. Also you have a lot of magic defence so maybe the Enchanted Shield would be better than the Sigil?

Battle Wizard-
Level 2
Luckstone
Power Stone

Luckstone isn't very important IMHO. Shouldn't this guy have the dispel scroll and your level 4 have the powerstone? Otherwise this guy is fine.

24 Swordsmen-
full cmd.

This is a good unit size.

Detachment-
7 Halberdiers

7 is too few. With T3 and a 6+ save, if they suffer 3 casualties they lose all effect. A unit of 9 (3x3) or 10 (5x2) would be best.

Detachment-
5 Archers

Screens aren't needed when your screening 6 point troops who have an extra 5 guys to account for missile fire on the way in. You could easily join your 2 archer units up to make a unit of 10 huntsmen, scouting can give you some extra options, including harrying your opponent from the flanks/rear.

24 Spearmen-
Shields
full cmd.

This is also fine.

Detachment-
6 Swordsmen

6 point guys for a detachment? Fine, I 'spose, but they still need to be larger, 9 or 10 guys.

10 Handgunners

With 6 levels of magic I'd like to see more shooting in this list, to force your opponent to advance. Another unit of these guys would be brilliant if you could squeeze them in for something thats not so useful...

5 Pistoliers-
Musician

This is a good baiting unit. You could give them an Outrider + Repeater Pistol. This could give them some options in a more offensive role as well if you wanted.

6 Knights of the Blazing Sun-
full cmd.
Inner Circle

These guys are fine as a nice hammer unit. A magic banner wouldn't go amiss if you had some points: Steel Standard, Banner of Arcane Warding, War Banner

20 Greatswords-
full cmd.

What do these guys do? Are they:
-A ranked up unit (Like swordsmen, but with more expensive ranks)
-A speed-bump (Like flaggelants, but stubborn instead of unbreakable)
-Flankers (Like Knights, but slower and more cumbersome)

My favourite way of using these guys is in a unit of 14 (7x2) where they can operate as either of the last 2 roles. They should be flanking a unit the swordsmen held, so they don't need ranks (Or a musician!) or they can be a 1turn speedbump so something can flank the enemy afterwards.

Detachment-
5 Archers

As the other guys, but more so.

Great Cannon

Helblaster Volley Gun

This is a fine set-up for artillery.

TOTAL-1998pts.

Its a very good list and I'd only suggest a few tweaks. After that my main concern was lack of shooting in what appears to be a shooting army (The majority of Spells don't work in Close Combat anyway...).
Also, nothing can stand up to an enemy character if it reaches your lines (other than a lucky cannonball), another big problem.

Tylorr
24-07-2009, 20:44
Well of course I'm a fan of your build, I posted one that's really not to far from yours. Seems like Caboose has got you covered though... (note to self, try to check Empire lists before Caboose gets to them ;) But to follow up, I would try to find some room for another set of hg'ers and definatly mount your lord for the added AS. Other than that you could for sure use some more/bigger units of knights and in my mind I would upgrade those pistoliers to Outriders. In conclusion I think you got a pretty solid army, but hey all Empire lists pwn =D

CaptainAwesome
24-07-2009, 21:54
With regards to fighty detachments swordsmen are your best bet they are the only ones to come with shields as standard and have a ws of 4 other units will cost you combats as they die to easily.

I'd proberly use the white cloak on the wizard over the armour of tarnus if he's not going to be mounted. anything hitting him will more than likly be strength 4 ignoring the light armour anyway.

Id give the warrior priest van horstmanns speculum as good as the doomfire ring is hatered and vhs is a sound combo.

Hope some of that helps.

Caboose123
24-07-2009, 22:03
Hey hey hey, no one here is disputing that I give the best advice! :p