PDA

View Full Version : Chaos Daemons for both 40k and Fantasy

Signal
25-07-2009, 18:58
Here's a challenge to those of you out there who play both Warhammer 40k and Fantasy:
Is it possible to collect an army of Chaos Daemons that will be fun to play in both games?

I ask because I've been wanting to get into Warhammer Fantasy battles, but I'm always torn between spending money on more 40k models which I already play, or to get a starter army of Fantasy models. Well, it just occured to me I could possibly do both since Chaos Daemons are now a playable army in BOTH games.

So in order to save as much money as I can, I'm interested in the concept of collecting a "dual-game" army. I doubt it will be competitive in any tournaments - that's fine, just as long as it's fun and I don't lose ALL THE TIME.

Basically, what I'm wondering (before I run out and spend money on books and models) is if it's possible to create a Daemon army list for one game, and then use pretty much the same army for the other game. I'm sure this can be done by creative use of magnets in order to switch from square bases to rounded ones. Also, the actual models I use don't have to remain exact from one game to the next - a few changes here and there are fine, as it all essentially boils down to saving as much money as possible.

Thoughts? :)

TheDarkDuke
25-07-2009, 19:03
Go for it. Alot of people already use the army for both systems. The ideal way for bases is magnets but if you only use one type stick with square bases as they are far more important for fantasy then they are 40k imo.

narrativium
25-07-2009, 19:04
Or just stick the round bases on top of the square ones.

Vyperchild
25-07-2009, 22:11
I'm using round bases for my daemons, because I think square bases are ugly. For fantasy I'm just going to build movement trays.

CrownAxe
25-07-2009, 22:18
or you just put them on their square bases since you can use them in 40k

BobTheZombie
25-07-2009, 22:23
I'd say you're fine with doing both. Some choices like Instruments of Chaos may not be as useful in 40k (I assume they do something in Fantasy), but I'm sure looking at the books you could work out decent unit choices for both systems. Fantasy Daemons are very, very powerful I've heard, so you shouldn't have a problem with that side of it. They're harder to use well in 40k, but with practice you'll be fine.

mattjgilbert
25-07-2009, 22:23
I'm using round bases for my daemons, because I think square bases are ugly. For fantasy I'm just going to build movement trays.This is pretty much what I do.

For the basic troops (blood letters, daemonettes etc.) I use round bases. In fantasy, a movement tray will rank them up and square them off without causing any issues. For the larger models (fiends, beasts, greater daemons ec.) I use square bases as you need that in fantasy but it doesn't matter so much in 40K if they are not round.

My flamers, furies and heralds are all on round bases as they are either skirmishers in fantasy (so it doesn't matter so much about neat lines) or will be ranking up with troops on a movement tray anyway.

You'll see my mix of bases as I add pictures here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210897

solkan
25-07-2009, 22:39
If you want a good army for 40K and a good army for Fantasy, it's going to be very difficult to use exactly the same exact set of models for both armies. On the other hand, if you have a collection of daemon figures, it's quite feasible to construct a good fantasy army, and a different 40K army.

If you're going to play Fantasy, you're going to want to buy or build movement trays. Both a 25mm square base and a 25mm round base occupy the same room in a movement tray, and the same is true for 40mm bases. The very largest bases, the 50mm square and the 60mm round, are different sizes, but you're only going to have a few models on those bases and it wouldn't be too difficult to build some combination bases.

sephiroth87
25-07-2009, 22:39
First, my daemon army is done this way, so I can help.

Second, some of the stuff that's overpowered in fantasy is only so-so in 40k, and vice versa.

With that said, I made a list that uses the exact same models for both armies.

My fantasy list:

bloodthirster
16 plaguebearers with herald on palanquin, level 1 caster
16 bloodletters with herald on juggernaut
10 horrors
2x5 flesh hounds
6 flamers
2 fiends

My 40k list:

Bloodthirster
Herald on Juggernaut
8 Plaguebearers with icon
8 plaguebearers
8 bloodletters with icon
8 bloodletters
10 horrors
10 flesh hounds
6 flamers
2 fiends
Daemon Prince of Nurgle

Looks awfully similar, doesn't it? Admittedly, the list is better in fantasy than it is in 40k, but I can win in both games. And I play both games, so it's nice to take it to the store, play a fantasy game, and immediately play a 40k game afterward. The only non WYSIWYG model is the nurgle herald, who is a fat *******' model (Epidemius) so I have had no opponents complain with me using him as a daemon prince. I would use him as a herald but...the nurgle herald is terrible in 40k and the army needs some punch against large targets.

I also have my models on round bases and bought the movement trays that use the round base models from Gale Force Nine.

This is actually Games workshop's best deal, because you're essentially getting to play two games for the price of one army. I don't know why more people don't do this, as a bunch of the army is now in plastic and fairly cheap.

Znail
26-07-2009, 00:38
Ah, I wouldnt say that you realy save money thou as Daemons are a pretty expensive army, atleast for WHFB as you need a few more models there. What you do save is work as you only need to paint once atleast and the models are over all pretty impressive looking.

AlmightyNocturnus
26-07-2009, 02:03
A few pointers:

Square bases in 40K are ugly. I recommend the round magnetic bases (GF9 among others make them). Those bases come with "metallic strip stickers" that you just cut the shape you want and apply on your movement trays. Done and done. Some of the bigger things (greater daemons) you should put on 50mm square magnetic bases, the apply your metal strips to the a 60mm round "weapons team base".

Daemons that are effective in both 40K and FB:
Pretty much all greater daemons
Flamers
Plaguebearers
Horrors
Skulltaker on a Juggernaut
Seekers

Daemons that do much better in 40K:
Fiends
Daemon Princes
Bloodletters

Daemons that do much better in FB:
Beasts of Nurgle
Flesh Hounds
Heralds (joining units)
Blue Scribes

Other units are worth skipping, especially if you don`t have a lot of cash. No doubt, some one will chime in with "But you forgot..." or "Uh-uh, ****unit is great/crap!" or otherwise be deeply offended by my recommendations. But let me say I have about 6000 points (40K) of Daemons - multiples of most units - and have mixed and matched a lot and these are my conclusions. I hope this info helps you.

Almighty Nocturnus

squeekenator
26-07-2009, 08:43
Just make the 40K army. Daemons are by far the most broken Fantasy army because everything they get is really really good, so no matter what you have for Fantasy your army will be at least competitive.