PDA

View Full Version : Viability of entirely wood elf wood elf army

Shogunate
26-07-2009, 00:16
Hi!

New to warhammer; I really really LOVE the wood elf models, and for this reason really want to collect them, but all the dryads, treekin etc I'm not keen on at all. Would it be possible to make an entirely wood elf army that is reasonably balanced, or are the non-elf creatures required for a competitive chance.

Thanks!

the gribbly
26-07-2009, 04:19
All elf woodies are definately viable and offer a different game style to that of the mixed or all forest spirit lists. Having said that, they are not as competative and will struggle more against heavy magic and shooting as elves are more expensive and less resilient than forest spirits. Still, I often use all elf lists for a change of pace and the challenge (usually without ANY magic defense) and really enjoy how they look and play. They are great for theme and arent always a pushover with the ability to bring up to 6 units with killing blow + kb characters. If you are looking for strictly competative lists though you will need to include some forest spirits. -grib

Shogunate
26-07-2009, 19:29
Well, I just want to win as many games as I lose!

innerwolf
26-07-2009, 19:57
They are pretty weak( as in uncompetitive). The army was thought with the sinergy between elfs and forest spirits, which bring their toughness and hard-hitting power to the table.
The best all-elf list I have seen is the Sethayla one. Basically it consist on 2 or three characters on eagles, Glade Riders, Warhawk riders and big Waywatcher units. You play it by concentrating shooting and avoiding theenemy, until you can charge the weakened remains of some units. For me it's quite boring(for the WE player and the opponent) and leads to lame games.

In my most succesful list I included 2 dryad units, a branchwraith, a Teeman Ancient and three Treekin. I don't think I could have done that well without them.

If you want pure elfs, I would suggest you playing count-as High Elves or Dark Elves.

SkawtheFalconer
26-07-2009, 19:58
It is certainly possible, but you'll be handicapping yourself quite badly, as Dryads particularly are one of the best aspects (pun not intended ;) )of the Woody list.

Certainly can be done though - get as many Wild Riders/Wardancers as you can, spend some points on Waywatchers, go to town on Glade and Eternal Guard, etc.

Urgat
26-07-2009, 23:31
Bah, just do it. People keep telling me I'm handicapping myself by not having any orcs in my gob army, and I still have a balanced win/lose ratio. The thing is that even if it's weak, after a while (a good long while for me, granted), you get the hang of your army, and you'll do better than expected. Just don't go the way Innerwolf speaks about. It's like playing a shooty 40k army against a regular WFB one. It's fun the first time, but gets old very fast. It's not like there's a lack of elf choices in the book anyway :)

Troah
27-07-2009, 04:31
Well, I just want to win as many games as I lose!

^.^ So would I.

An all wood elf army is very viable. They have a very different play style however so you must be careful how you make your lists and how you play/deploy on the field.

Shogunate
27-07-2009, 10:23
Thanks for the responses guys! Think I'll do it; I can always add some dryads and whatnot if things keep going tits up.

PARTYCHICORITA
27-07-2009, 15:45
Don't forget you could still get a dragon in an all elven army; that would certainly pack some punch for the later turns.

If you can disrupt the enemies shooting units (alter kindreds, warhawks, eagles, waywatchers, cavalry) you have pretty much won the game since you can't dance around him until he's numbers are weak.

the gribbly
27-07-2009, 16:02
I just finished playing a VC army with 11 pd + 3 bound with this list: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211776
Pulled off a solid victory just shy of a massacre against a skilled opponent. All elf woodies are more difficult to use but still very viable against all but the nastiest of the big 3. -grib

willowdark
27-07-2009, 16:13
Thanks for the responses guys! Think I'll do it; I can always add some dryads and whatnot if things keep going tits up.

I've always been of the opinion that Dryads are always appropriate, even in an all elf army. If the forest is being threatened, it's pretty ridiculous to insist that there wouldn't be trees there to defend it, regardless of their relationship to the elves.

Think of them like a sort of Free Radical. They can't flee so they don't serve much tactical purpose beyond running forward and killing things, whether that's sacrificially or if your running behind them for a screen.

Of course, all elf is still a good way to go. The elves are just more flexible, provide a ranged threat and strong combat through wardancers.