PDA

View Full Version : Temple Guard.........Without a Slaan

Korhil-WLC
26-07-2009, 09:43
Basically thinking of opionions on this subject. I am contemplateing running a unit of 10 with no command in my army.

The extra Str, WS and AS could come in handy.

Plus its an MSU army anyway.

Opening the floor to opionions

Ultimate Life Form
26-07-2009, 10:38
Of course, it's possible. The Temple Guard are elite Saurus Warriors and using them this way is completely fine even though they lose all those juicy special rules without the Slann. The only question is if extra WS, S and AS justify a 50% price increase, but this is something everyone must decide for themselves. May I ask though why 10 of all things? Saurus Blocks and Temple Guard unfold their full potential in big blocks. If you want something nasty to keep the flanks clean, there are better choices in the book. In prolonged combat however even the additional WS, S and AS (and don't forget the I..., oh, never mind:rolleyes:) won't save them without ranks and command.

Korhil-WLC
26-07-2009, 10:47
Of course, it's possible. The Temple Guard are elite Saurus Warriors and using them this way is completely fine even though they lose all those juicy special rules without the Slann. The only question is if extra WS, S and AS justify a 50% price increase, but this is something everyone must decide for themselves. May I ask though why 10 of all things? Saurus Blocks and Temple Guard unfold their full potential in big blocks. If you want something nasty to keep the flanks clean, there are better choices in the book. In prolonged combat however even the additional WS, S and AS (and don't forget the I..., oh, never mind:rolleyes:) won't save them without ranks and command.

Mainly an MSU list, I hope to negate static combat res, and then saurus can win easily on kills.

Putting them in big blocks my army is way to small in deployable units

PARTYCHICORITA
26-07-2009, 14:02
IMO they are still to slow (mv4) and to expensive plus they would be using up a special slot you should use for other stuff.

Gaargod
26-07-2009, 18:06
Don't bother really.

Yes they get extra I (who cares?), WS and AS (pretty damm useful) and S (er...). But:

Saurus are good for 3 reasons, really.
1: Cheap. For T4, 4+ armour save elite infantry, at 12pts a model they're pretty damm reasonable.
2: Reliable. Ld8 cold blooded is pretty damm good and their T and AS helps to make sure they don't disappear in a cloud of smoke.
3: Hitting things. S4 A2 is good. But they don't have this - they have (in effect) S4 A4, which is awesome, due to spears.

Now spears are good for another reason too. When you get charged (and you will, as you're M4 ranked infantry), you still get a lot of your attacks due to spears even if half of them die (watch your opponents face after he kills most of your front rank with his great weapon infantry, then you still pick up a ton of dice). Saurus don't need to charge to work.

Halberds on the other hand aren't nearly as good. They are two handed weapons, so no shields. This is a bad thing. The extra S is good of course, but most of the time you won't get to use it. You get charged - if its a decent combat unit, it will crunch most of your front rank away and you don't get a lot of high S attacks back anyways. If its not, then spear saurus would have won anyways.

Extra WS is nice - but it only takes them up to the level of most infantry/cav (so more damage avoidance than damage output. Things they now hit on 3s (with the notable exception of trolls/ogres/saurus) are mostly useless in combat anyways. The really big scary units of death are WS5/6, so hit you on 3s anyways.

So basically, if you use shields, you pay 4 pts to need another core choice, lose a special slot, get +1AS and have less things hit you on 3s, but lose spear attacks. Not really great tbh...

If you MSU higher damage output, look towards skink/krox units. 12 with a krox have a good speed, reasonable combat res and hit... well passably at least.

Troah
27-07-2009, 04:29
I feel dumb. What does MSU stand for? Michigan State University?

Korhil-WLC
27-07-2009, 04:33
Multiply Small Units

Troah
27-07-2009, 04:41
Ah, that makes a LOT more sense.

Eulogy2
27-07-2009, 15:48
saurus>TG without slann.

most of the time you are better off using shields and handweapons for the 2+ save, than you are using the halbreds with a 4+ save. I2 means you hit last, and the 2+ save helps alot with that.

saurus with spears will get you more kills just on volume of attacks as well. 6x2 is 24 str 4 attacks, which is pretty brutal and scarey to most opponents.