PDA

View Full Version : Ogre formations

MrWoten
27-07-2009, 15:12
How many models should I be putting into a Bull or Irongut unit? I was thinking four per unit with them abreast, but that might be too small. I don't want to put them into ranks because they don't get any real benefit from it as I understand..

Keller
27-07-2009, 15:32
I tend to run my units in one of two sizes, 3 and 6.

I like to have at least 2 units of Bulls w/ no equipment, a bellower and perhaps a champion. These are great units for baiting and support charges; cheap enough to sacrifice, but tough enough to do some damage if planned well.

I also run units of 6, typically Ironguts, in a 4-wide formation. This allows me to get the maximum number of attacks against an enemy unit (more than 4 wide is a waste) while giving me some sustainability vs missiles, as well as helping to get that outnumber bonus to break them through fear.

I have run units as large as 8 in the past, but they are far too expensive to use.

You really only need to have 3 or 4 models for combat, then maybe 1 or 2 more to pad your US and keep your units worth while if you get shot at.

For Leadbelchers, I generally stick with units of 2, so that I can fire at as many targets as possible. Theres no point in firing all 4 at small support units that may give me some trouble, or my 2 units of 2 can combine fire on larger, more dangerous targets.

willowdark
27-07-2009, 18:17
I've seen Ironguts in units of 3 or 4 with 2 Butchers or a Butcher and a Tyrant in them. That boosts them up about the way Keller describes.

Blood-Iron
27-07-2009, 18:46
I run my IG either 3 or four abreast, and have even been known to put in a second rank (no rank bonus but you may get the outnumber and will do s5 impact hits if you get them off). Even three abreast ogres are wider than most 5 frontage untis though so they aren't very maneuverable.
I am therefore experimenting with a my IG's being supported by Units of 4 bulls in a 2x2 formation, with a crusher in the unit, they are more maneuvorable, still get IP's as there are more than 3 and will always get some hits back if charged as they have a unit champion.

MrWoten
27-07-2009, 21:56
I also ask because I currently only have 8 Ogre Bulls and a ( proxy ) Tyrant to my name. Formations are important in WHFB so I want to prioritize my purchases around what is tactically sound.

I can always grab an extra off Battlewagon Bitz and run them in three units of three. Start buying Ironguts afterwards. Would that make a solid core for the army?

Blood-Iron
27-07-2009, 22:20
Ironguts are a nuch harder hitting unit than bulls, though the stats are the same the great weapons, heavy armour and ability to take magic banners make them your key offensive unit.Many ogre generals work on the basis that IGs are there to do the damage and they run their bulls naked (no armour, no ectra hand weapon and no iron fists or command units) to soak up damage.

I'm not quite in that school, but I would suggest you want to get ironguts intoyour army as soon as possible,