PDA

View Full Version : 4 Engines good/bad/or just plain ugly

Luke666
27-07-2009, 15:44
HI all messing around with the lizards what do people think off 4 engines of the gods, have you came across them have you used them what are your thoughts. plain ugly i say with lots of:cheese:

Gaargod
27-07-2009, 17:12
Um.

At 2k, yes its hideous. Its like someone taking a shadestar. Its also around 80% or more of the army (you can literally just fit 4 lv2 priests in, with 3x10 skirmishign skinks, and 30pts of magic items). Its a lot of magic, a lot of monsters and a lot of unstoppable magic bombs.

Hell, taking 3 engines at 2k (or 2 with a slann) is usually seen as pretty damm excessive

Atzcapotzalco
27-07-2009, 17:26
Distinctly, and quite probably fatally in several cases, short on actual troops.

dingareth
27-07-2009, 18:13
Well how about 2 of them then? With no Slann in a competitive setting. I was throwing around some lists yesterday, and while two seems like a lot, it isn't much compared to some of the magic power builds out there.

But yeah, 4 at 2000 seems like a little too much. At 2250 though... ;)

lotrchampion
27-07-2009, 18:21
4 EotG doesn't work as well as other builds IMO. Hit the Engines with something, they're fairly easy to outmanoeuvre without supporting troops in there, then challenge the guy on top and he'll probably die. That's half the problem gone. Ld 6 CB is all right, but its not amazing. Without a Ld8+ character in there such as a Slann, Tehenhauin, or a Skink Chief, you're liable to legging it quite easily.

After playing with the list, I find Tehenhauin w/ EotG + 2 EotG Priests with accompanying Skinks and Terradons is far, far, far more effective. They're just too much of your army to viably max out.

BloodHawk
27-07-2009, 19:21
I recently went to a tourney and placed top out of 6 or 8 lizardmen player. Every other player used some combo of 2 EOTG and a Slann. I run a Slann 1 Engine and an ancient stegadon with Chief and war spear. The synergy created with these three units is unreal. Especially when combined with the anvil ability of Temple guard. I would argue that Ancient with Chief and Spear is one of the top ten hammers in the game. Its just horrendous the damage it causes.

So while I think 4 EOTG would be nasty I think a combo is much more effective in the long run.

PeG
27-07-2009, 21:04
As others have said 4 is to much. In friendly games they will be boring regardless of who wins and in tournaments there are to many other models/units that can deal with them. A more efficient build would probably include a Slann and more other units.

Luke666
27-07-2009, 21:20
thanks for feed back guys ithought about this list its at 2500 cus thats what we play

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, blood statue of spitte, rod of storms 440pts

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, aura of quetzl

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, glyph necklace

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, amulit of itzl

4 x 16 skinks champ/stand 384pts

4 x 3 terrodons brave 400pts

total 2494

idea is stegs go in skink units unsure if they can or not think they can also unsure that if they are in unit can they benefit from look out sir rule. anyway they march forward protection power against missles till they close enough for the bomb. terradons go after war machines and march block flanks

what you think guys

sulla
28-07-2009, 00:00
I wouldn't go with engines in front line units. They seem to me a better defensive unit. I'd go with at least one chieftain with the war spear.

pcgamer72
28-07-2009, 02:53
I mean... really? Look, I'm a very competitive tournament player, and I bring a fairly solid army to tournaments and don't mind playing against tougher lists... but that is just plain silly to be honest. Obviously, there are loads of armies that will take it down no problem, but it will be unquestionably annoying for the few that can't and not be any fun at all for anyone. I really... REALLY... suggest taking no more than 2.

Kerill
28-07-2009, 04:16
I mean... really? Look, I'm a very competitive tournament player, and I bring a fairly solid army to tournaments and don't mind playing against tougher lists... but that is just plain silly to be honest. Obviously, there are loads of armies that will take it down no problem, but it will be unquestionably annoying for the few that can't and not be any fun at all for anyone. I really... REALLY... suggest taking no more than 2.

Completely agree with this.

PARTYCHICORITA
28-07-2009, 05:10
I don't think it would work, it's way to expensive to be done so it would limit the ammount of support units available making the engines more vulnerable in the long run.
2 or 3 on the other hand is rather nasty.

Griffery
28-07-2009, 05:54
That is probably one of the most nasty things in the game. Normally 2 is considered nasty but 4! If I were you I would steer clear of this so people don't start calling you cheesy and unfair.

pfishy98
28-07-2009, 06:12
any force containing too many large terror causing beasties and/or magic hurricanes is cheesy. crazy thing is, EotG combines those 2 hehe.
examples: 2 hydras, 2 treemen, 2-4 HE dragons, etc = pure cheddar cheese!

PARTYCHICORITA
28-07-2009, 14:31
any force containing too many large terror causing beasties and/or magic hurricanes is cheesy. crazy thing is, EotG combines those 2 hehe.
examples: 2 hydras, 2 treemen, 2-4 HE dragons, etc = pure cheddar cheese!

2 giants are pretty lame though.
And 2 ogre slave giants are just sad :cries:

TheDarkDaff
28-07-2009, 15:11
thanks for feed back guys ithought about this list its at 2500 cus thats what we play

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, blood statue of spitte, rod of storms 440pts

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, aura of quetzl

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, glyph necklace

skink priest lvl 2 on engine, amulit of itzl

4 x 16 skinks champ/stand 384pts

4 x 3 terrodons brave 400pts

total 2494

idea is stegs go in skink units unsure if they can or not think they can also unsure that if they are in unit can they benefit from look out sir rule. anyway they march forward protection power against missles till they close enough for the bomb. terradons go after war machines and march block flanks

what you think guys

Being over US5 they don't get Look out Sir! to protect them from warmachines. Skinks will however give you a nice meat shield for spells and missle fire. The down side is that the opponent can now charge the unit and challenge the Priest and get easy combat res by beating up the skinks. Small Cav units with Champ are going to hammer this list. Any unit with a Character really.

Atzcapotzalco
28-07-2009, 16:33
Quite honestly, even the 2500 points list strikes me as short on other troops, espescially on serious fighting units like, for example, saurus warriors, and I'd even say the same about a lot of the 2000 point Slann +Eotg lists I've seen. The abilities of the engine of the gods are heavily biased towards a supporting role, as indeed are the abilities of a stegadon and the lore of heavens, so I'd expect them to do a lot better with an army to support.