PDA

View Full Version : charging and magical fighting Q

forthegloryofkazadekrund
27-07-2009, 22:58
This came up in a game today i was watching but just wanted to clarify if for future reference

Tomb Kings vs Wood Elves

(FRONT RANK NUMBER/BACK RANK NUMBER)

Tomb Guard unit(10 - 5/5) is engaged with Dryads (8 - 5/3)- a Tomb King on Chariot charges in the rear in the magic phase, in the same magic phase the Tomb Guard gets to attack killing 3 Dryads.

Is the Tomb King in combat as the attacking spell has caused enough casualties so that the Tomb King is no longer in base to base , does he stand there no longer in combat or does he shuffle forwards?

Shas'O Vash
27-07-2009, 23:42
Yes, he is still in combat. Move him forward an inch so he remains in b2b.

nosferatu1001
28-07-2009, 17:49
You always push forwards to maintain contact.

Yrrdead
29-07-2009, 06:56
Well not necessarily, there is precedent in multiple unit combats for a unit (usually on the winning side) to get out of combat due to insufficient models remaining to maintain B2B contact.

But in general Shas and nosferatu are correct.

Pg 46 in the BRB under Redress The Ranks. Last two paragraphs.

nosferatu1001
29-07-2009, 09:12
Yrrdead - that normally happens if the multiple combatants block each other from phsycially moving. I a simple front / rear charge this really cant happen, now that lapping is gone...

T10
29-07-2009, 09:23
The only "precedent" is that you drop out of close combat if all the units you were fighting are dead. A unit that has charged into the side or rear is moved forward to maintain contact as casualties are removed.

In some cases you may not be able to move forward to maintain contact with the enemy unit due to intervening units or terrain. This isn't addressed in any detail in the rule book.

-T10

Yrrdead
29-07-2009, 16:56
Well that brings up a question of my own T10.

I charged his giant with a unit of Heavy Cav. I fluffed my rolls, got counter charged by a chariot (in the front with the Giant), then charged in the flank with a naked unit of marauder horseman. After combat res I held with two models left in my unit.

Was I incorrect in playing that the maurader's were now out of combat? Or would you shift the marauders two models down so that they could "fit" into the combat. My interpretation of pg 46 indicated the former.

Thanks

Heres a ghetto diagram. I removed casualties equally from each side.

MCCCGGG
MXXXXXX
M
M

Shas'O Vash
29-07-2009, 17:53
We would normally shift the heavy cav down. I'm not quoting rules here though, so I may be wrong.

MCCGG
MXX
M
M

Yrrdead
29-07-2009, 21:23
Anyway you shift it either the Giant or the Marauders will be out of B2B. Which according to the rules can happen. At least that's how I read it.

Shas'O Vash
30-07-2009, 03:18
I think that one point to note is that only the winning side moves.

Yrrdead
31-07-2009, 06:35
Well the only "winning" movements that you can make are to turn to face an opponent in your flank and increasing your frontage.

My real question is mainly to do with the last two paragraphs under Redress The Ranks. Right before Free Manoeuvers. I'm just curious how other people play this as I've had it happen to me a few times and seen it happen as well.

Really there are only two options. 1. The unit is out of combat .

2. You would shift them like so, to stay in combat.

CCCGGG
MXX
M
M
M
M

Shas'O Vash
31-07-2009, 13:59
I had that happen to me on Wednesday; we just shifted the models like Yrrdead suggested. Although I'm not sure that was correct.

Well, to be more precise, it was a unit of ten Cold One Knights that combo charged three Stegadons in the front and a War Hydra that hit the far right Stegadon in the flank.

SS SS SS
SS SS SSh
SS SS SSh
SS SS SSHHHH
CCCCC HHHH
CCCCC

The middle Stegadon and the right Stegadon fled and we decided that the War Hydra would form up on the one remaining Stegadon and would not chase the two that ran.

SSh
SSh
SSHHHH
SSHHHH
CCCCC
CCCCC

Edit: The unit spacing above is a little off as the text editor took out some spaces, but you get the general idea.