PDA

View Full Version : Starting lizardmen

Qazza
09-05-2005, 07:39
So Im starting a lizardmen army of 2000pts. I already own the armybook of lizardmen so I would just like to know few things. The thing is that I just loooove 2nd generation slann and I would like to play it in 2000pts army with two skin priests. Im not just sure if that kind of list works? I mean is it too heavy magic and does it lose about anything that is not medium/heavy on magic?

And if it will lose straight is there any way to do a heavy magic 2000pts lizardmen army with a 2nd gen slann?

Thank you already for your answers and sorry about the bad english

Riddy
09-05-2005, 14:11
Yes it is possible to do a 2K army with a 2nd gen army, although winning is rather difficult drawing the game is what you will be doing 75% of the time. My 2K list when i use a 2nd gen looks a little like this:

Slann
2nd Gen
Diadem of Power
Plaque of Tepok
Battle Standard
War Banner
in
21 Saurus
command
Quetzl
(Put them 5*5 with the slann and they usually start combat with 3 ranks, standard, outnumber and warbanner, so even if the enemy kills a few and they lose, Ld on 3D6 re-rolling makes them almost impossible to break, a scary prospect for any enemy)

Skinks Priest
Lv2
Mk of Old ones
Cube of darkness
(Because my enemys hate it when i can shut down a whole magic phase 2/3 of the time, if you dont get a 4+ on the first roll re-roll it using Old Ones)

Skink Priest
Lv2
Dispel Scroll
Power Stone
(I always put atleast 1 scoll in my army, incase my enemy rolls 20 odd and doesn't get IF)

14 Skinks
Scout

13 Skinks

13 Skinks
(Core, and skinks rule)

3 Kroxigor

3 Kroxigor
(Some flanking power to help the Slanns unit if it gets into trouble)

3 Terradons
(Mage/Warmachine hunters)

2 Salamanders
(General neusance unit, used to remove fast cav, skirmishers and support units)

This army tends to do well and you can swap out most of the special choices for different stuff if you get bored.

Qazza
09-05-2005, 14:32
So here is my armylist:

CHARACTERS:

1 Slann Mage-Priest @ 585 Pts
General, Second Generation, Battle Standard,Diadem of Power,
Plaque of Tepok,Plaque of Dominion

1 Skink Priest @ 175 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Heaven; Mark of the Old Ones,Cube of Darkness

1 Skink Priest @ 145 Pts
Magic Level 2; Lore of Heaven,Dispel Scroll,Curse-Charm of Tepok

CORE:

16 Saurus Warriors, Musician, Champion @ 210 Pts
(These go with Slann)

16 Saurus Warriors, Full Command, Champion @ 222 Pts

12 Skink Skirmishers, skink brave @ 77 Pts
(Skin Brave is there because I had 5 extra points)

12 Skink Skirmishers @ 72 Pts

SPECIAL:

3 Kroxigors @ 174 Pts

3 Terradons @ 105 Pts

RARE:

1 Stegadon @ 235 Pts

Casting Pool: 11
Dispel Pool: 7
Models in Army: 66

Total army cost: 2000pts

So what do you say..? Am I wayyyy too lost on the way to become a Lizardmen player or not? :P

(Edited the list to a more clear version)

arxhon
09-05-2005, 14:52
Your English is fine. :) Please readthis thread (http://www.portent.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76) about posting lists from Army Builder.

I'm also interested in starting a Lizardman army, so i'll be watching this thread. I think the Stegadon is a cool choice, whether or not it's the most tactiaclly effective.

Qazza
09-05-2005, 15:23
Well what I have read there is about 50/50 of people who love stegadon or who think its completely useless. And I happen to be one of those who love it. Mostly because of its ability terror which has helped me a lot especially against Helfs who always seem to run when they see it :P

Slyracoon
09-05-2005, 17:48
Haha, after reading your last post I don't think you're going to like my advice, but I have to say it anyway: take out the Stegadon. Normally I love these guys, they're great fun to play with and usually do fairly well. However, in this specific case I think you should drop it. With a 2nd gen Slann at 2000pts you're always going to have a small army, and including a large monster like that isn't really helping things. What I would do is drop the Stegadon, get four more Saurus for the unit sans Slann and another unit of three Kroxigors. The list is still good with the Steggie in, and if just enjoy playing it then more power to you, but that's what I would do. Maybe swap it in every few games, just for some variety.

By the way that's a great trick Riddy suggested with the Mark Of The Old Ones and the Cube, I'll have to try that out myself.

Qazza
10-05-2005, 21:16
Slyracoon actually this will be my main list but Ill be doing the thing you said about the stegadon every now and then. Im thinking about buying a carnosaur hero as another type of army and maybe more saurus etc :)

Major Defense
10-05-2005, 22:00
Riddy, that is a solid list! I don't see how you think it fights to a draw. The only change I would make is to give up a few skinks to get another salamander.

Riddy
10-05-2005, 23:39
Riddy, that is a solid list! I don't see how you think it fights to a draw. The only change I would make is to give up a few skinks to get another salamander.

Thanks but because i tend to play veterans who know what they are doing and often find a way to kill the Slann this means most of the time i get a draw.

MarcoPollo
17-05-2005, 18:30
Riddy:
Have you thought about tonning down the slann to a 3rd gen. This frees up a rare choice and allows for the 2X3 salamander hunting pack battery. This gives really formidable battery and your veteran opponents will not earn as many points if they kill it.

I also play some very solid veterans, and I tend to win more than I loose now that I only use a 3rd gen slann.

Qazza
17-05-2005, 19:08
MarcoPollo the third generation slann is the worst slann you can take.. it gives you pretty much nothing. Rather 4th gen slann than 3th

Riddy
18-05-2005, 13:56
Riddy:
Have you thought about tonning down the slann to a 3rd gen. This frees up a rare choice and allows for the 2X3 salamander hunting pack battery. This gives really formidable battery and your veteran opponents will not earn as many points if they kill it.

I also play some very solid veterans, and I tend to win more than I loose now that I only use a 3rd gen slann.

Well i have used every generation of slann other than 5th and i have used almost every army combo you can think of and one thing i have learned is 2*3 Slamander packs is not fun to play against. The thing is the army i posted is not an army i use often and so i see no real reason to change it around.

@Qazza-3rd Gen Slann give you an extra wound and drain magic iirc, drain magic is a highly useful spell although at 2K i would usually try to stick at 4th gen unless i am using the list i posted on pg1