PDA

View Full Version : I would like suggestions for 500pt Tomb Kings

Brother Alexos
28-07-2009, 06:10
I want to collect Tomb Kings and I was wondering what would make a good 500 point army.
Also, how many points are in the battallion set if I make:
3 tomb king chariots with champion standard bearer
8 tomb king Horsemen with spears, and standard bearer
16 tomb king archers with standard bearer
16 tomb king swordsmen with champion, and standard bearer
now, I havent gottan the rules, yet, or the army book,yet, and I would like to know one thing before I assemble. What does the Musician do, and should I have one in all my units.

hlaine larkin
29-07-2009, 00:11
musician means if the combat is a draw, and your opponent doesnty have one you win. but its not essential as you can just raise more.

you do also need a liche priest as a hierophant.
costs are as follows-

3 chariots 45 points each, full command is 50 points
8 heavy cavalry (spears and shields) 16 points each, command costs 35 pts.
16 archers are 128 points (dont take command)
16 swordsmen with light armour and shield are 9 points each, 144 in total and 25 for command. i would reccomend the following-

tomb prince on chariot, sword of might + enchanted shield, light armour-133
liche priest, dispel scroll, cloak of the dunes- 165
3 chariots, full command (185)
10 archers- 80
10 archers-80
15 swordsmen, with light armour 160
5 heavy cavalry, full command-115
tomb scorpion-85

the cavalry should have enough extras to make 4 more archers from swordsmen and you would need a liche, a prince and a scorpion (but you need the first 2) it has a solid str 5,t 5 character with a 3+ save, a liche who (with the cloak of dunes ) can flee if he is in danger and some solid infantry/archers- the chariots with prince will make a mess of most units and the tomb scorpion is str 5 toughness 4, 4 attacks, killing blow,poisoned,magic resistance one and 'deep strikes' in 40k terms and can charge on the turn he arrives.

hope i helped!
matt

Brother Alexos
29-07-2009, 04:24
This is Great! now I dont have to buy like, 300 dollars worth of models and find out that only 2-5 squads work! :)

hlaine larkin
29-07-2009, 08:14
they all work well and have there place, just remember- urgency on tomb king chariots is your friend! give your opponent the first turn if theyare gonna move, then move your chariots and urgency into combat :D

Skywave
29-07-2009, 09:20
I want to collect Tomb Kings and I was wondering what would make a good 500 point army.
Also, how many points are in the battallion set if I make:
3 tomb king chariots with champion standard bearer
8 tomb king Horsemen with spears, and standard bearer
16 tomb king archers with standard bearer
16 tomb king swordsmen with champion, and standard bearer
now, I havent gottan the rules, yet, or the army book,yet, and I would like to know one thing before I assemble. What does the Musician do, and should I have one in all my units.

What you have right there, with the option you listed, gives you 588pts. I would suggest against a champion with the chariot, 20pts for 1 attack at str 4 on the chrage (str3 after that), is not what I'd call a good deal ;)

And I never take a single musicien with my undead, not worth it to me. I'd put banner in all unit though, even in archer. At 16+, there's enough of them to reform and get a nice bloc of troops before getting into combat, the banner wil come handy.

hlaine larkin
04-08-2009, 22:40
ill be honest- go with him ^^ im not an undead player proper :P im still elarning how to use them well :D im used to armies where you need musicians

damien_metal
07-08-2009, 00:09
with regards to tomb kings heavy cavalry they suck, i played tomb kings for a few years and they are the worst heavy cavalary ever with a 4+ save come on please. oh scorpions are toughness 5 btw.
and a nice trick is to give the chariots the mirage standard -50pts which gives all the attacks even steeds +1 to hit in the first round of combat.
btw tomb kings dont do well in 500 points as a minimum goes to 215 pts on characters before items as u need a tomb prince and a liche priest

hlaine larkin
07-08-2009, 00:11
banner of the sacred eye is the +1 to hit, but the list was just for what he had :D i know tk cav sucks, mirage standard is -1 to hit i think or 5+ ward against cannons :D

Jind_Singh
08-08-2009, 06:49
I would suggest starting with a 750pt list as that way you can have your cake and eat it!!!
Tomb Kings are a nice army to start with, they have a good slection of troop choices (bows, infantary, horse troop, chariots, monstors), they got the single best war machine in the game - other than perhaps hell cannon - as it can fire twice and does some crazy tricks, and they got reliable magic.
Downsides....magic is reliable but underpowered - you cant really rely on it to kill things too much but its a great support to a battle plan.
Some armies are the bane of TK - I found that players new to the game need more patience than other players with diff. armies - SO DONT LOSE HOPE IN THE START!!!
Some points....
1) chariots will be your friends in the TK armies - dont leave home without at least 2 units of 3!!!
2) Archers are amazing - you can move around as much as you want and still hit on 5's! No matter what!
3) Really study how the order of casting works and how your spells interact with your army, it will either make or break your game!!!
4) Good luck and welcome to Warhammer!!!!