PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves vs Dark Elves - 1000 points

Keller
28-07-2009, 13:56
The following is a recap of a game played last night. I had not planned on a battle report, so didn't take much in the way of notes, but it was an interesting battle, so here goes.

This was my first battle with my new dwarves, and I've only played against the new DE a handful of times since their release. As we just meet at the shop to play, these lists were in no way made with any army in consideration.

Dwarves:
Thane w/ Gromil Armor, shield, Crossbow, Runes of Stone and Iron (2+, 6+ save)
Dragon Slayer w/ Rune of Cleaving, Snorri, Swiftness (ASF, +1 to hit, S5)
18 warriors w/ shields & FC
17 Warriors w/ shields & FC
12 Thunderers w/ shields
8 Miners w/ champ, musician
Gyrocoptor

Dark Elves: (From Memory)
Sorcoress - Cold one, Lvl 2, +1 spell
20 Warriors w/ shields, spears, full command, magic standard of Armor Piercing
20 Corsairs w/ FC, banner of frenzy
5 Cold One Knights w/ FC, +d3 CR on charge banner
10 Shades w/ GW

Terrain:
A hill in the middle of the table, just left of center. Each deployment zone had a forest, with a hill on the right side of the table (near middle) and a marsh on the right outside of my deployment zone, another forest on the left.

Deployment:
I deployed my first warriors near the center, about 9 inches forward, with 2nd unit to its right and forward 2 inches, and Thunderers on their right at the 12" mark. My Gyro was deployed on the far left, away from everything, with my Dragon Slayer ancoring my left flank, Thane joining the smaller warriors.

DE's deployed with the (from my perspective) Warriors on the left, near the center (mostly across from my warriors) with Corsairs on their right, Knights on theirs. The Shdes scouted to the right side of the table behind the hill on the edge of the board, the sorcoress hid behind her units.

Dwarves won dice off and elect to go second.

Turn 1: Warriors advance straight forward, approaching a hill in bewteen them and the dwarven warriors. Their Corsair bretheren run forward, while the knights more up towards the marsh to charge around it at the slow dwarves. The Corsairs move onto the hill they hid behind, while the sorcoress fails her stupidity test and ambles about. No magic, shooting fells two Thunderers.

The Dwarven warriors advance a few inches, in no hurry to meet the elves. The Slayer runs forward, moving ahead of the warriors, eager to seek bloody combat against the coming corsairs. The Gyro flys to the flank of the warriors, burning 4 alive with its steam. The Thunderers take aim at the Cold Ones, felling one from its saddle.

Turn 2:
The Cold Ones charge the 2nd Warrior unit, killing 3, suffering no casualties in return, but fail to break the Dwarves. The Warriors, now slowed by terrain and the nearby coptor, can do little but stagger forward, while the Corsairs move ahead to catch up to the knights. The Shades loose another volley, killing 2 thunderers, causing the stalwart dwarves to flee like drunken fools, falling back 1 whole inch. Magic fizzles out as the sorcoress miscasts, allowing the Dwarves to unleash their magic instead...

The first warrior regiment attempts to charge the knights' flank to support their brothers, but are overcome by fear and cannot muster the nerve. The Slayer knows no such worries, boldly charging into the unit of 20 corsairs with no support. The Gyro circles the warriors, steaming another 5 models, while the thunderers fail to rally and retreat another 5 inches. The Slayer challenges the Corsair captain, who elects to hide behind his comrades, and sees 2 fall to the mighty dwarf, while the surviving fighter can do little against his might. The Warriors fail to kill an knights, losing another 1 fighter, but fail to break their spirit. The Miners seem to have gotten lost, having not yet arrived to aid their throng.

Turn 3:
The Warriors move another 2.5 inches towards the base of the hill they mounted, while the shades loose another volley onto the fleeing Thunderers, failingto wound. All magic is dispelled. The knights lose 1 model, while the Thane and COK Captain duke out a challenge to no event. The Dwarves lose 2 more models but hold the knights in place. The Slayer repeats his challenge, having it refused again, slays 3 more corsairs.

The Thunderers pull themselves together after seeing the Shades miss their last pittiful attempt. The first warrior regiment can not charge the knights, so move to do so next turn. The miners must have had too much to drink, since they still haven't arrived, while the Gyro continues to circle, spraying 3 more warriors with hot-death. The warriors lose another model, with the thane being wounded in the challenge, fail to hurt or break the knights.

Turn 4: The warriors charge off of the hill, into the Slayer who is holding up the Corsairs. The Sorcerous moves to cast against the warriors who await the charge on the knights' flank, but is shut down by the dwarven distain for magic. The shades advance and fire on the awaiting warriors, but fail to kill any. The knights' champion falls to the thane, but they hold.

The miners must be really hung over, since their sense of direction is downright terrible today and they still fail to arrive. The Gyro moves to steam the Shades, killing 2. The Thunderers, now eager to rejoin the fight line the enemy sorcerous in their sights, loosing a deadly hail of lead which sends her to her wicked doom. The warriors finally are able to support their extremely weakened friends, charging the flank of the knights and breaking them from combat. The speedy knights, however, are able to out run both regiments of warriors. The Slayer repeats his challenge to the corsairs, who continue to decline, and fells another 2; the spear elves and corsair manage 1 wound on him, but cannot end this combat.

Turn 5:
The Knights rally, with 2 members eager to avenge their fallen comrades. The Shades advance a bit more, thinning the thunders to 5 models. The warriors (8) and corsairs (3) finally finish off the dwarven Slayer, freeing themselves for another crack at the units to come.

The Miners finally arrive, approaching towards the Shades, ready to charge next turn. The fresh warriors approach the rallied knights, while the battle-weary regiment turns back to ready for battle against the newly-freed infantry. The Gyro steams the shades, but fails to wound any, but the Thunderers knock 2 off.

Turn 6: The Knights charge the warriors, losing 1 model and fleeing, unable to rally. The Warriors charge the Dwarf Warriors, but fail to win combat. The shades, unable to hold out between three units, charge the thunderers, but are reduced to 3 models in the fight vs the mighty dwarves.

The Gyro coptor charges into the rear of the shades to aid the thunderers, who sees the last shade fall to dwarven steel. The Warriors beat back the DE Warriors, who flee and get away.

Remaining units
DE: 3 Corsairs, 6 Warriors
Dwarves: 7 warriors, 12 warriors, 8 minors, 2 thunderers, 1 gyro, wounded Thane

Game: Solid Victory to Dwarves!

Post thoughts:
I was surprised at how much damage the enemy shooting could do to my T4 and high armor. The ammount of bolts those RBX's kick out, with a -1 save is very tricky. If he were to load up on crossbowmen, I would have a lot of trouble with my minimal shooting approach.

I could not beleive how hard it was to break the knights. Their S4 attacks were not so bad against my T4 3+ save, but I could not inflict damage against their T4 2+, not swing enough resolution to break them. I may have to go for more offensive-minded characters next time.

I was worried whether the miner were going to show up at all. I think next time I will spend the +25 points for the steam-drill to allow the reroll of the arrival dice. If they had come in 2 turns earlier, they could have done a lot to disrupt the shades, even at only 8 strong.

I really liked the Gyrocoptor; it was very fun to use and rather effecive. His lack of shooting made it nearly unstoppable, since I could control his magic, but I won't count on it being so lucky next time.

I was very much impressed by the Slayer. I liked the idea of taking one, but had planned on no runes for him. I decided to give him ASF to help keep him alive, tossing in +1 S and +1 to-hit for good measure. Against the Elves, it meant 3 ASF attacks on 2+ and 2+, which went a long way! I might try him naked next time, in order to find some poitns to tool up my thane more.

All in all, an interesting game in which I failed a lot more Ld 9 checks than I would have thought I would.

SevenSins
28-07-2009, 18:07
nice fight.
The Cold on knights aren't as tough as you think, they have T3 like all elves (the cold ones are T4, like it matters)

Naked slayers are cheap and cheerfull, and being unbreakable makes them useful

Keller
28-07-2009, 19:15
nice fight.
The Cold on knights aren't as tough as you think, they have T3 like all elves (the cold ones are T4, like it matters)

Naked slayers are cheap and cheerfull, and being unbreakable makes them useful

So you use the T3 of the riders when fighting COKs? While it makes sense that you are attacking the rider, I thought you used the best statistic when attacking a model, such as the case of a dragon-rider making an I test for spells.

Can you point me to the rule for this? It certainly would make a big difference, as most of my armies are only S3.

Thanks!

Gabacho Mk.II
28-07-2009, 22:29
A very good report and well done with your Dwarves!!! :D

ps: while I dont have access to my rulebook, I agree with the poster above- you strike against the rider, not the mount... thus, against T3 when fighting CO-mounted Elves.

selone
28-07-2009, 23:36
Page 7- Cavalry. And yes the increase of xbows to ap really helps them. Thanks for the report matey and congrats on the result.

Keller
29-07-2009, 01:42
Wow, I can't believe I missed that! It certainly will make those Cold Ones a bit more manageable in the future.

Cheers, all! I will post the next battle my stunties get to participate in, though it will be 1000 points for the most part with only a few unit variations.

selone
29-07-2009, 07:27
I wouldn't worry about missing it, the WFB book is probably one of the hardest rule books to navigate I've seen.

hawo0313
29-07-2009, 10:13
great report and well done with your new dwarfs!!

Keller
04-08-2009, 03:29
Time for another recap! Again, not a planned report with lots of pics or a map, but it was well worth sharing.

Game 2 with my Dwarves, again at 1K points, but this time vs the High Elves!

Dwarves:
Thane w/ Gromil Armor, shield, great weapon, Runes of Stone and 2x Iron (2+, 5+ save)
Dragon Slayer w/ Rune of Cleaving, Snorri, (+1 to hit, S5)
18 warriors w/ shields & FC
17 Warriors w/ shields & FC
12 Thunderers w/ shields, Standard
8 Miners w/ champ, musician
Gyrocoptor

High Elves:
Mage, Lvl 2 - (Spells: Arrow Attraction, 5+ ward spell)
22 spear elves w/ FC
9 White Lions w/ champ
7 Pheonix Guard w/ champ
5 Silver Helms w/ shields, champ
5 Reavers w/ bows
Lion Chariot

Terrain:
2 small sections of trees in the center of the table, one slightly left and one right. Hill on far left and right, one just outside of each deployment zone. And a Stone fort halfway in the center of the table on the left side.

Deployment:
Thunders deployed between the two forests in the center of the table, stung out to 12-wide. Warrior regiment on either side to advance in to fill the gaps. Gyro behind the trees on the right. Slayer next to the thunderers Thane, once again, deployed in 1st warrior regiment.

The Helms and Chariot had deployed opposite my thungerers, ready to charge between the two woods to meet my line, the spears and lions deployed on the (my) right side, ready to advance for a sweep attack. Reavers on far left, ready to sweep that flank, with the Pheonix Guard behind the Helms for follow up support. Mage deployed in Spear Elves

Dwarves won the dice off and elect to go second.

Turn 1:
Helms and Chariot advance to between the central forests, the Spears and Lions advance on the right side, Reavers rush the left to harass the dwarven warriors, while the Pheonix advance up for a second wave behind the knights. The Reavers fell 1 warrior with a lucky shot. No magic cast.

The warriors on the left advance ahead of the thunderers to fill the gap between the thunderers and trees. The 2nd warrior regiment directs around the right-side central trees to meet the spears and lions, the Slayer rushes ahead of the thunderers to meet the chariot while the Coptor moves to the large regiments of infantry (spears/lions) for some harassment. Thunderers score 4 wounds on the Helms, but they pass their armor saves. Coptor burns 9 spear elves to death, who hold their ground.

Turn 2:
Helms charge DWarriors unit 1 in the front, aided by Reavers charging their flank. The Chariot charges the slayer, crushing him beneath its wheels before overrunning into the thunderers. 4 Thunderers fall, but manage to hold fast. The reavers fell one Warrior, while the silverhelms apparently drop their weapons and inflict no damage. Warriors and the Thane fell 3 Reavers, winning combat and causing both units of cavalry to break, but fail to catch the helms. The Spear Elves and lions, slowed by the circling coptor, advance on the 2nd Dwarriors. Magic results in a miscast, to no result.

Miners arrive, advancing on the flank of the Spear Elves. The 1st warriors charge the Pheonix Guard in the flank after catching a lucky pursue landing, breaking and running them down. The Coptor burns another 3 spear elves, while the 2nd warriors prepare to recieve a charge. The Thunderes lose combat, but hold again.

Turn 3:
The Reavers, now on the far left of the table, manage to rally, but the Silver Helms flee towards their home edge a bit more. The Spears and Lions charge into the 2nd Dwarriors, each unit getting 3 models in contact. (I forgot Lions ignore woods penalties to movement) The Warriors lose by 1, but manage to hold after losing 1 model and not killing any. The Thunderers lose combat and are run down.

The Coptor moves to attack the fleeing helms (still 5-strong) while the 1st warriors turns itself around in the center of the table to head back towards its deployment zone. The miners move foward toward the read of the spearelves, who are engaged w/ the 2nd warriors. The spear/lion/warrior combat holds again, with the dwarves losing another 1 model, killing none, and passing a break test.

Turn 4:
The helms fail to rally again, fleeing off of the table. The Reavers push the left flank, firing at but missing the 1st warriors regiment. The lion-chariot moves and faces to charge either the front of the warriors or the flank of the engaged 2nd-warriors. The Spear elves and lions fell 2 warriors, but lose a spear-elf in return. Combat holds after the dwarves losing by 1 again.

The 1st warriors advance towards the chariot to tempt a charge, while the coptor moves behind the lions in hopes of catching them in a flee to destroy them. The Miners rear-charge the spearelves, but fumble their heavy picks and combat is again lost by the dwarves, losing 3 warriors and 1 miner to 2 spear elves.

Turn 5:
Lion Chariot, too fast for the dwarves, skirts the 1st regiment to flank the 2nd warriors unit. The Lion chariot whiffs its attacks, adding little to the growing melee. Fortunately for the dwarves, the chariot was not large enough to break their ranks and claim a flank, so they managed to draw combat with a handful of wounds all around. The reavers advance on the 1st warriors, missing their arrows.

The 1st warriors turn to face the side of the White Lions or Rear of the Lion Chariot, meanwhile the coptor floats harmlessly above combat (behind lions) waiting for it to break up. The Miners continue to drop their picks, while the dwarven steel deflects elven weapons. A few more wounds all around, with another drawn combat.

Turn 6:
The Reavers move up on the warriors again, missing with bows. The elves manage a few more kills on the 2nd warriors and miners, but suffer a few in return. The Dwarves will no longer have a rank bonus, but manage to hold combat.

The 1st warriors aimed for a flank charge on the white lions, since a rear has already been secured by the miners on the spear elves. The quick-reflexed elves manage to butcher a few more warriors from unit 2, yet another miner, but fail to wound the fresh warriors. The warriors in turn slaughter 5 white lions, managed a wound on the chariot (who was an in-avoidable charge recipient) while the miners pulled it together to slay 3 spearelves. The elven units have lost combat by 7, thanks to the fresh ranks of the 1st warriors, flank, rear, and now outnumber. Each unit failed (with the lions rolling a 3!) and flee combat. The only unit not caught by the dwarves (each elven unit had 1 peruer, but the coptor destroyed the white lions on impact) was the chariot.

Ending units:
HE: 2 reavers, 1 chariot w/ 1 wound missing.
Dwarves : 1 unit of 14 warriors, 1 unit of 3 warriors, Thane, Coptor, 5 Miners.

Result: Solid Victory/Massacre for the Dwarves!

Another great victory, which may have been a masacre if we bothered to total up all points. The HE proved to be tricky, being able to ignore my charges by attacking first, even when flanked/reared. Their lack of ranged attacks helped me greatly, with a complete lack of shooting units and terrible spells on the mage. He did manage to get the 5+ ward spell early in the game, but it didn't help much. Arrow Attraction was worthless with all of 5 bows in the army, and against Dwarves, Dispel Magic was not much help either.

I was out-manuevered even worse against the HE than with the DE, but some unlucky attacks from the elves saw them bounce right off of the dwarven steel.

I certainly underestimated the power of the Lion-Chariot, but managed to deal with the infantry fairly well. Those 3+ AS's for my warriors were just too much for the massed attacks from the spears, and his elite White Lions and Silver Helms just couldn't roll to hit. Of course I got lucky there, their S6 attacks cut my stout dwarves like yeast into the still!

All in all, another great game!

SevenSins
04-08-2009, 10:12
nice rep, the elves seemed to do well at the start, but as you said dwarven resilience paid off.

(turn 2 lion charge, broke the slayer and overran into the thunderers, you don't fight the overrun-fight until next turn - unless other units also engage them - and haven't fought yet)

Keller
04-08-2009, 13:04
nice rep, the elves seemed to do well at the start, but as you said dwarven resilience paid off.

(turn 2 lion charge, broke the slayer and overran into the thunderers, you don't fight the overrun-fight until next turn - unless other units also engage them - and haven't fought yet)

I could have this backwards, but I beleive it was changed in 7th edition that you do fight the over-run combat immediately (1 time, so you wouldn't be able to steam-roll 3 units). I am always confusing rules from various editions, and seldom get to play often enough to keep all of the rules straight, so you may be right. I really need to sit down and re-read the wholebook sometime.

But luckily, in this case, it didn't make much of a difference.

Kerill
04-08-2009, 13:31
Nice reports, overruns into an unengaged unit aren't done until the next player's phase. Overruns into an existing combat which has not yet been fought allows the unit to fight again. So sometimes the order in which you fight combats can be pretty important.

Malorian
04-08-2009, 18:33
Hurray for dwarfs! :)

Those weakling elves didn't stand a chance ;)

Kasumi
28-08-2009, 08:34
Nice reports! And very nice army composition.

one thing in your last battle report.
"Each unit failed (with the lions rolling a 3!) and flee combat"

White lions are STUBBORN... they have always LD 8 on combat result test

iaguz
28-08-2009, 11:57
You should also re-read the rules for a Challenge. If the enemy refuses a challenge the challenger may place ANY single eligible challenger-meeters to the back rank of the enemy unit. Any bonus that this character gives to his unit (such as a Dark Elf BSB with the ASF banner, for example) is lost until the end of combat and their LD cannot be used (what kind of example are they setting anyway?!)

Keller
31-08-2009, 17:30
Nice reports! And very nice army composition.

one thing in your last battle report.
"Each unit failed (with the lions rolling a 3!) and flee combat"

White lions are STUBBORN... they have always LD 8 on combat result test D'oh! I had forgotten that WL's are stubborn, beleiving them to be Stubborn only if the general was in the unit. The HE player missed this too, not bothering to look it up, so I guess I can't really worry about it. He rarely uses WLs, so wasn't too familiar with them (and I was even less so.) Considering how late it was in the game, I don't think it would matter, but I shall have to keep that in mind for the next time around.

You should also re-read the rules for a Challenge. If the enemy refuses a challenge the challenger may place ANY single eligible challenger-meeters to the back rank of the enemy unit. Any bonus that this character gives to his unit (such as a Dark Elf BSB with the ASF banner, for example) is lost until the end of combat and their LD cannot be used (what kind of example are they setting anyway?!)
The Dark Elf that kept refusing the challenge was simply a champion. I don't think any other challenges were refused, but I don't remember the game and just gave the report a quick skim.

Unfortunately, we don't get a chance to play much, and have played many different games and tend to mix up or just forget some rules from time to time. I appreciate all the corrections though, as it makes it better for next time!

Keller
06-10-2009, 02:47
I've got another report for all of you here, another 1k battle vs the same Dark Elf player with my Dwarves.

I decided to change up my list a bit, dropping my gyrocoptor and miners for some extra warriors in my ranks and a flame cannon, plus a few new tricks up my sleeve.

Dwarves:
Thane - great weapon, shield
-Runic Talisman - MroChallenge, Rune of Luck
- Runic armor - Rune of Stone
2 x Naked Slayers
12 Thunderers w/ champion
2x21 warriors w/ shields, full command
Flame Cannon
Total = 999 points

Dark Elves
Sorceress - lvl 2, +1 spell item. (Blade Wind, Steal Soul, I don't know the third)
5 Cold One Knights w/ FC
20 Warriors w/ FC
20 Corsairs w/ FC & Frenzy banner
7 Shades w/ great weapons
10 Black Guard

Terrain setup:
Woods on my left flank just outside of deployment zone, hill with woods in the center, hills in right and left sides of enemy deployment zone, woods just ahead of my far right side deployment zone.

I deployed 1 warrior regiment (w/ Thane) to the left of the central hill, with the cannon on their right, thunderers to the right a bit more. The 2nd warrior unit got placed to left of the 1st warriors in order to deny his shades from scouting so near my deploymeny zone behind those woods. Slayers deployed around the cannon, to the right of my warriors. I stayed in the left half of my deployment zone.

[from my view across the table] Dark elves deployed with CoK on the far left (left of their hill) with Warriors to their right (right side of hill) with Black Guard and Corsairs to the right of the central hill, shades behind the central hill and sorceress behind his warriors. He had deployed units across both sides of the zone.

Pregame thoughts:
I felt confident in my deployment, deciding to force the left side of the field towards his knights and warriors, leaving my thunderers to deal with any of the corsairs or guard that wound their way around the large central hill to flank me. I was able to counter his drops, while keeping mine in places I wanted them, though my slow movement and lack of a gyro had me worried that my right side would get swept.

Turn 1: Dwarves
I advance my warrior regiments on the left side of the table a bit, send the Slayers straight towards the central hill to engage his Shades. The Thunderers move a bit and angle to maximize shots towards the right side to wait for the warriors and guard to round that hill.
The Flame Cannon fires at 18 inches, but gets an 8 on the charge and lands in the 2nd rank of the warriors directly in front of it. Fortunately, it burns 3 alive, but they hold steady.

Turn 1: DE
Knights pass their Stupidity, move directly forward full speed towards my second Warriors (WR2 - on Left). The warriors move towards my 1st warrior regiment (WR1 - on right). The Corsairs and Guard begin their trek to the right side of the table, coming form behind the central hill. Shades mount the Central hill, moving near my edge of it, firing and killing 1 dwarf from WR1. Magic sees Bladewind casy on WR1 after rolling double 1's for dispel, causing 3 casualties.

Turn 2: Dwarves
both warrior regiments advance again; WR2 straight along the woodline to square up near the CoK, WR near the Warriors, facing the Shades who they've closed near. The Slayers move onto the central hill, about 2 inches from the Shades.
The Flame Cannon decides to ignore the juicy infantry regiments, firing on the Knights. 3 are caught by its fire, but only 1 falls from the heat. Fortunately, the knights panic and flee, though only a few inches. The Thunderers fell 3 corsairs.

Turn 2: DE
The Thane in WR1 issues a challenge on the Shades, forcing them to charge. In response, the warriors back up and angle to face the slayers on the hill, ready to counter-charge the warriors should the over run on a lucky victory. The Knights rally, while the corsairs and guard continue their advance on the right.
The Shades cause 1 measley casualty against WR1, who in turn kill 1, while the Thane shows his mettle and slays 3 more. The Shades break, the dwarves try to hold to avoid a flank charge, but their disdain for the foul elves is too much to overcome, and they charge after the fleeing scouts, slaughtering them to a man. In their haste, they managed to drive into the front of the warriors who had planned a counter charge (thought to end up in the flank but the warriors ran enough to clip thei front and turned to face.) Those little midget legs were overcome by incredible zeal to cover such a distance!

Turn 3: Dwarves
The Slayers, now finding themselvs w/o a target, move off of the hill to the side of the ever-approaching corsairs and guard regiments on the right side. WR2 moves up to taunt the CoK for having fled, unable to cover enough ground to close battle.
In shooting, the Flame Cannon falls short of the warrior regiment, but the Thunderers fell another 4 pirates.
In combat, the WR1 and thane decimate the spear-elves, and manage to shrug off all return attacks from the second rank. The dis-heartened elves flee from combat, but the tuckered dwarves can't catch them, and fall short of a sorceress who found herself in the way of the angry short-ones. The mass chaos of the Warriors' retreat found them slamming into a cliff face, taking them out of the battle.

Turn 3: Dark Elves
The CoK charge head-long into WR2, but their slow-witted dinosaurs get distracted by some grass and stop what they are doing, nearly tossing the riders from their saddles. The Sorceress, realizing she is right in the line of the WR1, trots along and out of harms way from the short-legged tanks. The Corsairs have become nervous of the lurking slayers, and are forced to walk forward toward the thunderers, while the Guard turns at pace to face the new insane and naked dwarfs.
Magic casts a Steal Soul on WR2, killing 4 warriors and boosting the Sorceress to 4 wounds. No Combat.

Turn 4: Dwarves
WR2 moves up on the CoK, while WR1 moves to support, following the hill coming out of the DE deployment zone for cover. The Thane moves from WR1 to WR2 to make up for the lack of a rank, since thy will nodoubt be taking a charge shortly. The Slayers both charge into the Black Guard who have come to fight them.
The Flame Cannon fires on the corsairs, burning 2 more alive, while another volley from the Thunders drops another few.
Slayers fell 2 Guard, leaving 1 in combat, who returns 1 wound.

Turn 4: DE
The CoK again lose their attention to some little butterflies wandering past them, missing the chance to charge the dwarven line. The Corsairs charge the Thunderer line, catching a facefull of shot which reduces them to 4 models, but their bloodlust knows know fear or panic.
The Sorceress tries for Bladewind on the Flame Cannon, but it stopped by the Dwarven affinity for magical protection.
The Corsairs unleash a flurry of attacks, but most bounce off of the dwarven steel, seeing only 1 fall. This hardens the resolve of the thunderers, who hold their ground against the furious elves.

Turn 5: Dwarves
WR2 charges the knights, besting them in combat but failing to drive them away. WR1 turns to face the sorceress in a pitiful attempt to threaten the highly-mobile caster. The Thunderer champion moves into contact to help best the DE agressers, but again lost combat after another dwarf falls without seeing any elven blood spilled. The Slayers chop down 1 more BG, who manage a wound on the unharmed slayer.
The Flame Cannon fires on the sorceress, but causes only 1 of 4 wounds.

Turn 5: DE
The Sorceress tries to Steal Soul on the warriors, but fails to cast.
The WR2 bests the knights again, after losing another warrior, but manages to force them to retreat, right to the table edge with the warriors in hot pursuit. The Thunderers and Corsairs remain locked in combat, with the thunderers losing again but continuing to hold. The BG manage to kill a slayer, but the other strikes down another elf.

Turn 6: Dwarves
WR 2 charges into the fleeing knights, forcing them from the field. Warrior 1 unit moves to secure a table quarters, while the flame cannon lands a lucky shot on the sorceress who had tried to hide near the dwarf warriors in hopes the crew wouldn't risk hitting friendlies. Fortunately, the expert crew knew what they were doing, catching the sorceress in a bath of fiery death as the warriors marched away, leaving only elven ashes on the ground (scoring the last 3 wounds). The Thunderers finally win a round of combat as the corsairs apparently tired, breaking their bloody-drive but failing to move the crazed elves. The BG finally finish off the last slayer, who finds glorious death in holding the regiment of killers from doing much.

Turn 6: DE
The Guard charge and manage to catch the flame cannon, ripping the crew to shreds in their anger for having done nothing this battle but fight 2 naked dwarves. The Corsairs, now not as angry, fail to wound any dwarves and are reduced to the last model, who stands firm.

Result: With only 1 Corsair and Black Guard just above half strength, Massacre for the Dwarves! The Dwarves had both warrior regiments above half strength, 2 TQ, killed the general, captured a standard, plus all of the kill VPs.

Post-game thoughts:
I was surprised at how well this list had worked out for me. I have to admit, though, it was largely due to some terrible luck on the DE behalf, failing 2 stupidity and 1 panic check on the knights, then being unable to score enough wounds in combat, even with 6 attacks w. BG and over 13 with the corsairs against basic Core Dwarves.
I was very concerned about a total lack of movement options, with no scouts, miners, coptors, or runes to help move. Fortunately, my opponent tried to flank me instead of risking getting too bunched up on the left side of the field, and surprisingly my 12 thunderers managed to decimate the corsairs before combat.
Next time, I may reform my thunderers into ranks for combat, but the extra round of shooting certainly helped here. I guess it can be hard to judge whether the +1 CR or 12 shots (+ more S&S reaction shots) is more worthwhile.
I really liked the MasterRune of Challenge, which I had never used before. I decided to use it early to keep the shades from causing too much trouble, but had planned to draw the sorceress into battle (who usually rides a dark steed and would have to worry about fleeing too far). All in all, I think it worked very well, since it opened room for my slayers to operate and kept me from getting surounded, but nearly resulted in my warriors being flanked when they overran the fleeing shades (not that I wanted to.) Fortunately, the DE player misjudged the placement and I was able to force combat there.

I am considering what to add next to my Dwarves, since I don't have a lot of models to work with. I am trying to hold off on buying anything more until I find some time to paint these up, but it is hard to not want to get more when they keep playing like this! Currently 4-0-0 with them.

Toshiro
06-10-2009, 20:19
nicely done keller, really great wins and good battle reps =)

Keller
13-10-2009, 15:47
I had a rematch with the Dark Elf player last night, using the same lists as last time. I'm hoping some more people start showing up at our store soon; I'd like to fight some other army! Anyway, here goes.

Dwarves:
Thane - great weapon, shield
-Runic Talisman - MroChallenge, Rune of Luck
- Runic armor - Rune of Stone
2 x Naked Slayers
12 Thunderers w/ champion
2x21 warriors w/ shields, full command
Flame Cannon
Total = 999 points

Dark Elves
Sorceress - lvl 2, +1 spell item. (Spells 1, 2, 4)
5 Cold One Knights w/ FC
20 Warriors w/ FC
20 Corsairs w/ FC & Frenzy banner
7 Shades w/ great weapons
10 Black Guard

Terrain: just in front of my center deployment zone, hill infront of the left side of his (again, from my perspective across the table). Also a hill on the far right edge, in the middle of the table, a swamp in his right deployment zone, and a forest in my left.

Deployment:

I started with Warrior Regiment 1 (WR1) to the left of the forest infront of my zone, with a string of thunderers to their left and WR2 to theirs. The flame cannon was placed to the right of WR1, just along the treeline to block sight to anything beyond the very front on the right side. Slayers set up one on each side of the lines. The Thane joins WR 1 next to the trees.

His Warriors set up to the left of the hill, the behind the hill, Corsairs on the right, with BG on their right. Shades scouted to behind the forest infront of my lines, but towards my right side where I had no troops. Sorcoress deployed next to the CoK behind the hill.

DE won the roll and elect to take first turn.

DE turn 1: Line advances, with the CoK and Sorc moving onto the hill. He figured his speed advantage over me would counter the slowed movement. Shades move to the right, around the trees, to draw LoS on the flank of my battle line.
Sorcoress miscasts while attempting Chillwind on the Thunderers (at this point I realize I have forgotten my rule book, so we have to use an old 6th ed miscast table we had) and cannot cast this turn or next. Shades ignore the slayer and target the flame cannon, killing 1 crew member.

DW Turn 1: The left Slayer advances towards the Spearelves, the right straight towards the Shades. The 2warrior regiments advance 2-3 inches to protect the gunners and cannon, but not too hastily to draw combat.
Flame Cannon lobs an expert shot into the corsairs dead ahead of them, but thanks to my aweome dice skills, I only manage to kill 4. Thunderers display their disdain for the cocky sorcoress, taking careful aim and perferating her with 7 wounds.

DE Turn 2: The line advances, while the shades hold still to fire again, peppering the flame cannon but failing to do any damage. No magic (dead sorc) and no combat.

DW Turn 2: Slayer 1 charges the Spearelves, only barely making contact with the corner, leaving 2 models in BtB. The Slayer fells 1 elf and laughs as the spears fail to penetrate his thick skin. Slayer two charges the Shades, who stand and fire but not very well, then kills 2 and suffers a wound from the 3rd in contact. Thunderers open fire on the CoK, killing all but 2, while the flame cannon sees another 5 corsairs to their doom. Warrior regiments hold tight, ready to hold a charge.

DE Turn 3: Cok charge my thunderers, I declare Stand and Shoot, and in range to do so, but fail my fear test! CoK kill 2 thunderers, but they hold. Corsairs and Blackguard do a combined charge on WR 1, each getting 3 models in contact, my Champion engaged w/ BG, Thane w/ Corsairs. The combined attacks kill 3 dwarves, who kill 1 BG, and 2 Corsairs, meaning I win combat due to extra rank, but both units hold. The Slayer chops up 2 more Shades, with the third unable to wound him, but they hold. Slayer 1 kills 2 more spearelves, again not being wounded, but they still win combat.

DW Turn 3: The Flame Cannon crew drags the machine away to avoid an overrun if the warriors break. WR 2 angles to face the flank of the CoK, but not so much as to get flnaked themselves if the spearelves get free. Back to combat!
Slayer 1 kills another spearelf and holds them in place. The Corsarirs, now w/o frenzy, fail to hurt the WR1, but the BG fell 4 more. Dwarves kill 2 corsairs and 1 more BG, losing combat but holding. Thunderers lose 1 more to CoK, failing to hurt them again, but hold combat (lost to standard). Slayer 2 kills 2 shades, breaking them, but fails to catch them in the overrun.

DE Turn 4: Shades rally (at 3 of 7) but all units are engaged. CoK whiff attacks on thunderers, who actually manage to inflict 4 wounds back, 1 of which gets through, causing the CoK to lose and break with some unlucky rolling. Thunderers restrain pursuit, knowing the knight cannot rally. The Corsairs fell 1 more of WR1, but the BG don't fair as well as they should, killing only 1. Since I managed to hold my ranks better, I win combat again, and trhe corsairs break and flee, unable to rally. Slayer 1 fells another elf warrior, with combat still locked in place.

DW Turn 4: Slayer 2 charges the shades again, who fail to finish him off with a stand and shoot, then are ripped apart by the angry slayer in combat. DW regiment 2, seeing the knights gone, turns to help Slayer 1 against the spearelves, preparing for a charge next turn by sitting 1 inch infront of the elves. The Thunderers reform into 2 ranks of 4 and advance slightly with intent to flank-charge the blackguard engaged with the WR1. WR 1 and BG combat continues.

Turns 5+6: Warrior regiment 1 eventually grinds the BG into the ground, but falls to 7 strong in the process. WR 2 charges the spearelves to aid the slayer who is still locked in combat, but does absolutley nothing with their attacks. Fortunately, the elves miss (and don't have hatred because of the protracted combat with the Slayer) and lose but hold. In the second round, they aren't so lucky, fleeing but manage to avoide the short-legged ones, but are fleeing at the end of the game.

Ending units:
DE; No models remaining
DW: All but 4 thunderers, 1 cannon crewman, ~15 warriors.

Result: Utter Massacre for the Dwarves!

Post game thoughts:
I continued to be impressed with how durable dwarven units are. I can't seem to deal a lot of damage, but they sure can soak it up. I am completely flabergasted at the slayers performance, each managing to whipe out or negate an entire unit for the entire game. The Flame Cannon was fun to use again, though I do miss my gyrocoptor and will likely swap them back. I never got a chance to use any of my runes on my Thane, but that's not all bad.

The DE player still makes a lot of silly mistakes, IMO. Leaving the sorcoress out was very risky, though the plan was to sto ptheir shooting w/ Chill Wind. I actually had a hard time deciding on whether to take out the knights or the sorc with my gunners, opting to shut down his magic ASAP after last game. Still, moving the knights needlessly onto the hill certainly didn't help him at all, buying me another turn of shooting, which cost him most of his knights.

This is likely to be my last battle with the Dwarves for a bit, since I am tired of them fighting Dark Elves with the same units. I will not be buying any more until I cna get these painted, but am presently working on some other projects that I want to finish before getting to the stunties. I guess I can't complain about 5 or 6 wins, mostly massacres, and no losses or draws, though.

selone
13-10-2009, 15:51
Thanks for the reports, dwarfs are a great army and I love their background, but I imagine they get old to play, fast.

Toshiro
13-10-2009, 17:54
Nice win again keller!

Keller
13-10-2009, 19:50
Thanks for the reports, dwarfs are a great army and I love their background, but I imagine they get old to play, fast.
That was how I always felt, and why I never started Dwarves sooner. Now with the abundance of BfSP models about, the fact that I have 4 other armies to mix it up with, and my dwarves can double into my DoW army, I decided to finally give them ago, although in small numbers.

I really am impressed with them, and don't find them as boring as I expected. Then again, I don't castle up with a gun-line either. I do play a bit defensively, but more along the lines as how I play my Empire than most people would play dwarves, I suspect. Though I do miss some tacticale flexibility of having some faster units, not to mention a magic phase, the character of the stunties makes it more than worthwhile, and they are simple and fast-paced to play because of it.

Probably couldn't be my only army, but they are certainly fun enough to justfy as a seconday force.

Nice win again keller!
You're too kind!

My friend and I are planning a campaign which I am finishing writing, which should be kicking off soon. I am hoping to get in games weekly or bi-weekly at the very least, but it can be hard to match up our schedules. I'll be posting a new thread with the campaign set-up soon, adding bat reps as able.
The setting? My Empire army is marching to remove a High Elven outpost from neighboring lands after the Elven noble has made fun of the Governor's new hat at one of the formal banquets. Imagine, an elf mocking one's fashion sense!

The campaign will be outside of the normal gaming sessions, so there may be some other reports popping up here and there as well.

Toshiro
14-10-2009, 06:56
The setting? My Empire army is marching to remove a High Elven outpost from neighboring lands after the Elven noble has made fun of the Governor's new hat at one of the formal banquets. Imagine, an elf mocking one's fashion sense!

Dear god, what has the world come to?! Teach those pointy eared foofie-pants a lesson in manners (and fashion)!

Count Zero
14-10-2009, 13:11
some good reports there, i'm a bit surprised about how often the DE seemed to whiff their attacks, esp the shades with WS7, str 5 and hate reroll! i know dwarfs are tough and with high armour though.

i can see how playing the same battle over and over again could get dull fast though. maybe you could try a scenario or throw in a secret mission of some kind (look at the current UK GT rules for some ideas) to spice things up.

Keller
14-10-2009, 13:33
some good reports there, i'm a bit surprised about how often the DE seemed to whiff their attacks, esp the shades with WS7, str 5 and hate reroll! i know dwarfs are tough and with high armour though.

i can see how playing the same battle over and over again could get dull fast though. maybe you could try a scenario or throw in a secret mission of some kind (look at the current UK GT rules for some ideas) to spice things up.

It may just be that I've used 'whiffed attacks' to explain lack of wounds caused, not just lack of hits. I don't really recall all the details.
Part of it is that my Dwarves have high enough WS to make hitting a bit harder, but more so that he just can't get through the T4 (or 5 for characters) and then the 3+ AS on my units. And for the units that can, such as Shades, I manage to out-initiative him by not using greatweapons when he does, usually killing a model or two.
The hatred does indeed help quite a bit, but since it only lasts for 1 turn, and he is seldom able to break by stout dwarves in 1 turn, it fades fast. His 16 attacks from Corsairs (w/ frenzy banner) score a lot of hits, but not a lot of wounds on a 5+, with a 3+ AS. However, the Black Guard's Eternal Hatred certainly does help, consistantly turning 2 hits into 6 hits every turn last game. Again, though, the 3+ AS (4+ vs BG) has been stopping enough to keep him from breaking my static res (typically 1-2 ranks more than he, 1 outnumber) plus any kills my champions and characters manage to get to the point thatr my Ld 9 is reduced enough for me to reliably break.
I certainly think I have been lucky in him rolling less than great, though.

Part of the problem is that the DE player is relatively new to Fantasy after years of playing 40k. He tends not to look things like stats up, using hand-written list w/o convenient details like my Army Builder lists. I had no idea that Shades were WS 7, we played them as WS5, meaning my slayers' WS6 with 4 S4 attacks are able to cut them down pretty easily on 3's + 3's.
Unfotunately, Dark Elves are one of the few armies I know next to nothing about, so I can't even point out anything that he may miss, like I can for armies that I have played against many, many times.

I will have to look into some other scenarios than pitched-battle. I'll look and see if there are some simple ways to spice up a pitched-battle, since we just show up with our lists and have little time for large games or to spend too much time on set up, based on the store's time allowances. I know the warbands had some interesting objectives to spice things up without changing the scenario (kill the general, get units in enemy deployment zone, etc. all for extra points.)

Count Zero
14-10-2009, 13:49
opps my bad, it is WS5, just a typo there :)

A good bit of advice to give him is to not put his wizard on a stupid mount! the dark steed is good enough, the cold one gives her an extra point of armour save and fear, but the risk is too high. The focus familiar is also a good item, as it allows him to count his position for spell casting from a point 6" away, i.e so he can hide his sorceress but still cast.

as for the scenarios pitched battle still works, but at the GT they had 6 secret missions too, if you completed them you got 400 bonus VP's (you'd need less for 1k though) things like kill the enemy general, kill their most expensive unit, kill more special and rares than they kill of yours, control more woods, control more hills.

Count Zero
14-10-2009, 14:08
BTW as a dwarf you probably want to avoid missions that involve getting into your opponents deployment zone :)

grumbaki
14-10-2009, 14:17
That was how I always felt, and why I never started Dwarves sooner. Now with the abundance of BfSP models about, the fact that I have 4 other armies to mix it up with, and my dwarves can double into my DoW army, I decided to finally give them ago, although in small numbers.

I really am impressed with them, and don't find them as boring as I expected. Then again, I don't castle up with a gun-line either. I do play a bit defensively, but more along the lines as how I play my Empire than most people would play dwarves, I suspect. Though I do miss some tacticale flexibility of having some faster units, not to mention a magic phase, the character of the stunties makes it more than worthwhile, and they are simple and fast-paced to play because of it.

Probably couldn't be my only army, but they are certainly fun enough to justfy as a seconday force.

As a fellow dwarf player I agree with this. However, sometimes you just do need to castle up (such as when you are playing against a wood elf all skirmisher list). Besides that, the game is more fun when you play them like an Empire army (albeit a slow, defensive one).

My friend and I are planning a campaign which I am finishing writing, which should be kicking off soon. I am hoping to get in games weekly or bi-weekly at the very least, but it can be hard to match up our schedules. I'll be posting a new thread with the campaign set-up soon, adding bat reps as able.

The campaign will be outside of the normal gaming sessions, so there may be some other reports popping up here and there as well.

I look forward to it. And I love the fluff. But tell me, did the Empire send an ambassador to the elves, who drew his sword and said "By my moustache I will not leave without an apology!" If so, then this will be the war of vengeance all over again, only this time the elves will sneeringly call it "The war of the moustache." You'd think they would have learned by now...

Keller
14-10-2009, 14:31
opps my bad, it is WS5, just a typo there :)

A good bit of advice to give him is to not put his wizard on a stupid mount! the dark steed is good enough, the cold one gives her an extra point of armour save and fear, but the risk is too high. The focus familiar is also a good item, as it allows him to count his position for spell casting from a point 6" away, i.e so he can hide his sorceress but still cast.

as for the scenarios pitched battle still works, but at the GT they had 6 secret missions too, if you completed them you got 400 bonus VP's (you'd need less for 1k though) things like kill the enemy general, kill their most expensive unit, kill more special and rares than they kill of yours, control more woods, control more hills.
I think he figured out that a cold one is a bad choice. I still am not big on having a wizard out on their own, as they are too exposed. The Focus Familiar would take care of that, though my Dwarves certainly would have a doozy of a time getting to her. I think that taking a single lvl 2 is a bit risky vs dwarves, who get 4 dispel dice naturally. I think a Master (or whatever they are called nowadays) would be a better option, both for the combat and leadership boosts.

Do you happen to have any links to the GT missions? I suppose I could search for them, but I figured if you had them bookmarked or saved... :angel:

BTW as a dwarf you probably want to avoid missions that involve getting into your opponents deployment zone :) Ha, quite right. Although Miners and Rangers would be helpful, they are a bit pricey for out 1k games.

I am probably going to be switching to my Empire or Ogres for next week, then maybe the weeks to come. I don't think either will fair nearly as well as the Dwarves have, though, since they just can't soak up damage like that. My last VC vs DE game was extremely close.

Count Zero
14-10-2009, 15:14
I think he figured out that a cold one is a bad choice. ........

Do you happen to have any links to the GT missions? I suppose I could search for them, but I figured if you had them bookmarked or saved... :angel:

this link will hopefully work:
http://warhammerworld.typepad.com/files/gw924_tos_pack-war.pdf

as for the cold one, well GW dont help by releasing the mini on a cold one 2 editions running. really if they had put a good sorceress on steed model more people would have bought it to use the steed etc as the basis for conversions of other DE heros on steeds.

Yes DE do in general have a hard time with dwarfs, they have loads of low Str attacks which the stunties can just soak up. the other difficulty is getting to the dwarfs alive, the str 4 -2AS shooting will just rip him apart, killing pretty much everyhtign on 3's. He could try and use a harpy unit for screening. 55 pts for the unit of 5 and doesn't cause panic in other DE.

Its hard when you are playing a new player as you dont want to make it too easy and let him win, but you dont want to crush him and put him off for life :)

Glorfindel
09-11-2009, 14:27
Why does your opponent keep exposing his sorceress if you keep shooting him to bits? I thought he would've learned after the first time :p. It seems to me he searches to engage your dwarfs too much 1 on 1 while they are certainly not up to the task.

Keller
09-11-2009, 15:47
Why does your opponent keep exposing his sorceress if you keep shooting him to bits? I thought he would've learned after the first time :p. It seems to me he searches to engage your dwarfs too much 1 on 1 while they are certainly not up to the task.

Largely, a lot of the mistakes he makes is because he is new to fantasy, being a long time 40k player. I haven't played 40K much, and not at all in quite a few years, so I am not sure how much different it works in some of the mechanics relating to heros and the like.

For one, he hasn't learned to keep his sorc safe wthin units, since he doesn't want to risk combat with her. Also, he likes the movement on horse/coldone to be able to get where he needs to be to cast. Unfortunately, he hasn't (clearly) learned to protect her from my guns. Sometimes he banks on using Chill Wind to keep me from shooting, but it doesn't always work out.

As for the unit matchup, I'd say they end up being close, most of the time. They DE have trouble wounding the Dwarven Warriors due to their T4 3+AS, but they throw a lot of attacks to try. Also, the Dwarves only have 1 S3 attack back, so are far from dangerous. Most of my kills have been through my characters, which give me the advantage when he chooses to use a sorc rather than a Master.

Its been several games now between us, he's picked up a few new tricks and lessons, but still has some of the fundamentals to keeping his own units safe yet to remember. Usually works out for a pretty good game, though.