PDA

View Full Version : Minimum conversion necessary?

Slyphor
28-07-2009, 17:25
I already have a unit of silver helms, and I want this second unit of silver helms to be dragon princes instead (it's cheaper than buying dragon prince models). I have green stuff and elfy bitz. What do you think would be the least amount of conversion necessary for me to field them and have someone say "oh yeah, I see those are dragon princes" instead of "I was really confused because I thought you had 2 units of silver helms." Could it simply be a paint scheme? Free-hand dragon emblems? Do I need to do some serious modeling here?

Answers of "buy some dragon princes you cheap ****" will be ignored.

Thanks!

-Sly

D-Archangel
28-07-2009, 17:35
a different paintjob goes a long way, as far as I'm concerned. I'm not too familiar with the HE mini range, but at least try and make them more shiney than the Silver Helms (gold helms, for example) and maybe some different helms or something.

I recon it's do-able

Sharke
28-07-2009, 17:46
If you can, greenstuff some dragon wings or something of the sort on their helmets. That'd do it I think.
Possibly greenstuff the wings on the horses' face plates into dragon wings as well.

Tokamak
28-07-2009, 17:48
Buy some dragon princes you cheap ****.

Seriously though, I'm okay with using silver helms for dragon princes, and indeed a paintjob goes a long way.

What strikes me though is that you're asking for the least amount of effort. I mean, isn't it just great to actually have a nice project to truly make something special out of it?

See it as an opportunity, the more you impress people with your conversion the less likely they'll think you're a cheap ****.

But okay here's a very easy, efficient, and in case you use a bits website; cheap conversion.

Give your silverhelms the heads of dark elf corsairs. Their helmets are a bit winged and don't look too evil for a high elf force.
http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m1800116_99120212003_DEBlackArkCorsairsMain_873x62 7.jpg

A head is usually 0.50 gbp. So an entire silver helm unit will only get the added cost of 4 pounds (excluding postage).

For one step further you can choose to use cold one riders and mount them on the horses.

Slyphor
28-07-2009, 18:32
good call on the corsairs. Yes, a modeling project is always fun for me, and effort is not an issue (I might just make a bunch of dragon faceplates for the steeds out of greenstuff and that would pretty much solve the whole thing. However, I do want to work smarter, not harder if possible. Are there bitz out there that just involve a lot of small wings in mirror-image pairs?

I guess doing the same thing for Ellyrian Reavers would be more difficult, right? Because of the barding issue on the steeds? Would WE Glade Riders be a good substitute - $35 for 8 instead of $12 each?

Shadowfax
28-07-2009, 18:32
There's also a shield on the Skeleton sprue that features a dragon wing in relief. If you added those it would be another feature of differentiation.

But I agree with the above poster. Lazy, half-assed conversions are worse than no conversions at all. I'd rather play against proxied bases.

Edit: But I see you've addressed that now.

Tokamak
28-07-2009, 19:15
I guess doing the same thing for Ellyrian Reavers would be more difficult, right? Because of the barding issue on the steeds? Would WE Glade Riders be a good substitute - $35 for 8 instead of $12 each?

Graveguard also have winged helmets, you could try and see if you can use the wings there.

Another thing you could try is duplicating small wings. Press the wing part in a piece of wet greenstuf wrapped around a pencil, let it dry and then roll it over another piece of flat and wet greenstuff like a stamp, it does give very decent results.

For Elryan reavers you're better off with wood elf glade riders indeed, perhaps combine them with archer parts.

Sharke
28-07-2009, 20:00
good call on the corsairs. Yes, a modeling project is always fun for me, and effort is not an issue (I might just make a bunch of dragon faceplates for the steeds out of greenstuff and that would pretty much solve the whole thing. However, I do want to work smarter, not harder if possible. Are there bitz out there that just involve a lot of small wings in mirror-image pairs?

also, there is a 40k conversion pack that allows you to convert your Chaos Marines into Night Lords. The helmets have bat wings sculpted into them, if that helps. If they don't curve right, then you could at least use them to make greendtuff moulds.

macdaddy
28-07-2009, 20:29
I used the dragon wing on the top of the bretonian knight helmet and added them to the side plates of the HE horse.

Angry Lawyer
28-07-2009, 20:59
Stick as many feathers from the archer/spearman sprue onto them as possible and have them as Yvresse nobles, or something, and use the Dragon Prince rules.

-Angry Lawyer