PDA

View Full Version : Skull pass and its chopped up rules???

Shogunate
28-07-2009, 22:28
They really gutted the rule system to its basics for the skull pass guide I noticed. Was quite odd when we stepped up to the actual rules and found out about things like rank bonus, flee and pursue etc.

On one hand I can see why GW felt the need to make it simple; it may endear itself to more players, even your average board gamers who may never buy anything more than that boxset. On the other hand it annoys the heck out of me, as leaving out flee and pursue severely imbalances the game, as if a unit fails its check...thats it. Theyre all dead.

rtunian
28-07-2009, 22:38
i own the little book and a pdf version of the big book.

they're pretty damn close to identical, so i don't know what you're talking about, unless you mean the battle for skull pass "read this first" pamphlet, which is not even 1/2 of the rules, and i'm pretty sure it refers you to the little rule book that's included in the bfsp box set more than once.

in other words, there are 2 books in the bfsp box, one is an introductory pamphlet with the very basics of the game, and the other is a miniature version of the big rule book.

Shogunate
28-07-2009, 22:48
i own the little book and a pdf version of the big book.

they're pretty damn close to identical, so i don't know what you're talking about, unless you mean the battle for skull pass "read this first" pamphlet, which is not even 1/2 of the rules, and i'm pretty sure it refers you to the little rule book that's included in the bfsp box set more than once.

in other words, there are 2 books in the bfsp box, one is an introductory pamphlet with the very basics of the game, and the other is a miniature version of the big rule book.

Tis the "read this first" pamphlet I was talking about. I dont recall it ever refferring me to the rule book mind.

Legionary
29-07-2009, 01:00
I think that the Skull Pass introductory booklet ought to have had little boxouts in it near relevant sections that pointed out where the more advanced rules affecting that section are located in the rule book. Currently it's pretty odd as an introduction because it teaches you the game wrong.

rtunian
29-07-2009, 04:55
Tis the "read this first" pamphlet I was talking about. I dont recall it ever refferring me to the rule book mind.

once you have finished playing through this booklet, there is plenty more to do. the rule book included in the box provides full rules for every aspect of the game, while our website has ...

as well as introducing the rest of your models into your games, there are other things that you can do that aren't covered in this booklet, such as extra manoeuvres your units can perform, and special rules that reflect their bravery (or lack of it).

manoeuvres - pages 12-13
panic - pages 48-49
fleeing and pursuit - pages 40-45 ...

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod830856&rootCatGameStyle=

ok, now i hope this has settled that the 'read this first' pamphlet does in fact refer you to the rule book in more than one spot, and reinforced the fact that the battle for skull pass boxed set does in fact come with a little rule book, which you can verify for yourself by clicking the link and checking the description of the item as sold by games workshop.

both of these facts you could have easily discovered by:
a) reading the source material instead of skimming it and/or going by memory, or
b) checking with the official store to see what you should be getting when you buy second-hand off the internet

Schmapdi
29-07-2009, 04:58
It leaves out all those rules so as to not completely scare away people the first time they play it. When I played through the introductory (training) scenarios and then actual intro game, it still took me over two hours.