PDA

View Full Version : Tomb King Weapons

Brother Alexos
29-07-2009, 23:46
Does anyone think that if you gave Tomb King archers a crossbow that anyone would really care? I was also thinking of giving my regular warriors swords instead of clubs and axes for a more uniform look.

Condottiere
30-07-2009, 00:05
Not unless you're playing WYSIWYG.

Brother Alexos
30-07-2009, 01:43
Yeah.... uh huh..... and wtf is WYSIWYG

puppetmaster24
30-07-2009, 01:46
What You See Is What You Get.

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 08:30
Whether your ordinary warriors sport swords, clubs or axes makes no difference - those are all hand weapons when wielded one handed (as are maces, hammers, cudgels, rapiers, sabres, falchions, unloaded pistols, rolling pins, battle carrots, certain types of turnips, cats, hamsters etc.).

Condottiere
30-07-2009, 08:48
For Warhammer, that's true. However, a crossbow does have another profile from a bow.

havoc626
30-07-2009, 11:13
However, a crossbow does have another profile from a bow.

That's what I was thinking myself.

Do you mean to use a crossbow in the rules, or just use it on the model, but still use the bow rules?

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 13:02
certain types of turnips

Only, and let us be absolutely clear on this one, certain types of turnips. Other types are right out.

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 13:28
However, a crossbow does have another profile from a bow.

But only when you use it to shoot pointy things at your opponent - not when you use it to cudgel him senseless in close combat!

More seriously, I am wondering what the OP is thinking with his bow/crossbow substitution idea:

1.) If using crossbows on models with actual crossbow rules: there are no rules for this in TK book, so it requires opponent's approval and mutual agreement about suitable point cost.

2.) Using crossbows on models but using "counts as" to treat them as bows: depends on how WYSIWYG your opponents want, and how familiar they are with TK - for those not familiar with them, this could cause some confusion since they might actually mistake those for real crossbows.

Then there are the fluff aspects, as fluff nuts would claim that no proper skeleton from the lands of Khemri would lower himself to use such a contraption... :skull:

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 16:38
Couldn't the skeletons just wear blindfolds, face the other way and chuck the arrows over their shoulder? They would still hit on a 5+...

ARabidNun
30-07-2009, 17:32
Couldn't the skeletons just wear blindfolds, face the other way and chuck the arrows over their shoulder? They would still hit on a 5+...

In a matter of speaking, yes. Although I think you may have to recalculate the maximum distance :P

As was mentioned, The case is usually WYSIWUG, unfortunately this often can lead to some problems as some unit variations are not available unless you convert, then what have you got? I still have several skeletons with double-handed weapons from 6th edition I converted and now they are no longer supported. Thankfully they are only skeletons.

I don't see why crossbows would be that large a problem as long as your opponent realizes and agrees to it.

Brother Alexos
30-07-2009, 20:06
Thanks, this is really the matter of using the model, not the rules for the crossbow, I just think they look really nice, is all.

Keller
04-08-2009, 00:07
I'd have no problem modeling skeletons with crossbows; playing agaisnt them, though, I would not appreciate for the current cost.

If you are just concerned with looks, I think very few people would have a problem with it, especially if you just said "these are light-crossbows, they use the same rules as normal bows." Afterall, I beleive that's what the Birdmen RoR use anyway.

I still have several skeletons with double-handed weapons from 6th edition I converted and now they are no longer supported. Thankfully they are only skeletons.

I'm curious, when could skeletons have great-weapons? Perhaps you are refering to the Carstein army of SoC in which they could have halberds or spears? If so, they'd still work great for skellies with spears. I wish Zombies w/ LA and Halberds had found its way into the new book; I always liked them in that list. I guess the utterly hilarious WS 1 S/T2 are good enough for laughs, though.

Condottiere
04-08-2009, 09:03
I remember seeing art work with skeletons carrying pikes and arquebuses - wonder what ever happened to those models?