PDA

View Full Version : Forests

ARVO
29-07-2009, 23:25
Hello everybody. A few questions regarding forests in normal fantasy battles:

1. Is it true that units can see only 2 inches into a forest?

2. When in a forest, does a unit only have a "sight range" of 2 inches, so to speak? For example in a 8 inch long forest, would a unit of spearmen be able to see a unit of archers that were 3 inches away into the forest?

3. Can cannonballs bounce into a forest? If so, how far? Can they exit out the other end with a long enough bounce and do more damage?

If you have a source, please reference it. I looked but could not find a thing in the rulebook. Thanks guys.

Erethor
29-07-2009, 23:55
1.) Page 9, under "Woods"

2.) Ditto.

3.) Page 87 under "Firing a Cannon"

ARVO
30-07-2009, 00:08
Ah. Thanks. I was busy looking the "terrain" section up and down. It says on the cannon section that if its not impassible, it will not stop a cannonball. I disagree with that....Shooting a cannonball into a forest seems just wrong. Granted i've never seen it happen, but I imagine a tree (among other things) would slow one down pretty drastically.

Can't argue with the rules though...

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 07:25
I would not expect an ordinary tree to stop a cannonball (Californian giant red pine might be a different thing), rather you get a falling tree and sharp wood splinters flying all over the place and adding to the destruction wrought by the cannonball.

Besides, actual (full-grown) tree trunks are quite sparsely spread in a forest - what blocks visibility most are the low-hanging branches, small trees, bushes and other undergrowth.

TheDarkDaff
30-07-2009, 09:17
Just make sure you read the cannon rules throughly. You must be trying to hit a visible target with the cannon shot. You can't just shoot at those trees over there.

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 11:56
Actually I would like to know about point 2) - How does this work?

I've always played it that 2" is the maximum visibility anywhere in a wood, but one of my regular opponents disagrees (Wood Elf player :P ). Perhaps he is correct but I can't find any rules backup to define it either way.

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 12:22
What sort of a visibility claim does this wood elf opponent of yours make?

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 14:17
What sort of a visibility claim does this wood elf opponent of yours make?

He says that 2" is the maximum distance that you can see into or out of a wood, but if both units are inside then they can see one another from any distance.

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 14:38
As far as I can tell, the rules for woods on page 9 are pretty clear on that:

"If both the model and its target are inside the wood, then the line of sight is reduced to the farthest they can see - which is 2 inches."

Condottiere
30-07-2009, 17:23
I would not expect an ordinary tree to stop a cannonball (Californian giant red pine might be a different thing), rather you get a falling tree and sharp wood splinters flying all over the place and adding to the destruction wrought by the cannonball.

Besides, actual (full-grown) tree trunks are quite sparsely spread in a forest - what blocks visibility most are the low-hanging branches, small trees, bushes and other undergrowth.My forests are composed of redwoods, that's why you can't see over them.

BlackVomit
30-07-2009, 18:00
Whilst we are discussing forests, what about LOS & large targets? If a giant is outside a forest, but almost touching it, is he still visible to units on 'ground level' ? What about units on hills?

Griefbringer
30-07-2009, 18:04
I have somewhere a pinecone from a redtree, it might make for a good piece of terrain, being about the size of a coconut.

Or perhaps I could glue it to a base and use it as a treeman.

Condottiere
30-07-2009, 18:26
If the forest blocks LoS, you won't be able to see that Giant.

BlackVomit
30-07-2009, 18:57
So if the giant was instead a large flyer, it would not be able to charge over the forest, as it cannot see 'over' the forest and cannot be seen, right?

Would this still be valid for units on hills?

ARabidNun
30-07-2009, 20:24
Griefbringer, Just be sure to glue some googly eyes on the cone so as your opponent knows which direction it is facing for charges, etc...

I think that arguement is typical of a wood elf player. The 2" rule with woods has always been a loose discussion since terrain classified as woods can be confusing and often regarded as dense shrubs or brillo pad piles. It bears mention that the edge of the woods needs to be clearly stated and/or apparent to be able to check measurements.

Just for clarification, if a single model in a unit of skirmishers enters into a woods, is that unit declared in soft cover? This rule is vague enough to really abuse with long lines of skirmishers weaving from one patch to another.

PeG
30-07-2009, 21:09
For skirmishers we play that the majority of models should be in the wood for them to receive the bonus for soft cover.

We also play that woods block LOS and have infinite height so they would block LOS to the giant as well.

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 21:10
I would say no, Rabid, since it only takes a single model to be in the open for the 'unit' to not be in soft cover.

xragg
30-07-2009, 21:12
Just for clarification, if a single model in a unit of skirmishers enters into a woods, is that unit declared in soft cover? This rule is vague enough to really abuse with long lines of skirmishers weaving from one patch to another.

Half or more of the unit needs to be in the cover to gain the advantage.

A model can see 2" through woods, regardless of whether he is looking out or in, or just trying to see another model in the woods.

Woods are infinitely tall. Not sure if this is specifically stated in the BRB, but its at least how its played in my area. Nothing can see over woods, even if on a hill. In the rare case we use some sort of multi-tiered hill, we sometimes allow the upper tier to see over a woods, but this is decided beforehand. If not discussed though, the blanket rule of woods infinitely tall takes precedence.

Lordmonkey
30-07-2009, 21:40
Half or more of the unit needs to be in the cover to gain the advantage.

Well slap me with with a kipper and call me Sally, you're right! More 6th ed hangovers I still need to get over, it seems -_-