PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the =][= rules for a 40K RPG?

Tulkas
07-01-2006, 19:44
I'm curious, has anyone ever thought about using the rules for Inquisitor as a guideline for a 40K based RPG? Or ever succesfully used the rules with regular 40K miniatures? Please tell me how you used the rules (other than to play =][= with) and wether or not it worked, because I'm really interested in the idea, and people's experiences with it.

Olith
07-01-2006, 20:21
I only ever played 2 games with 54mm miniatures, the scenery was the killer. It's very enjoyable with 28mm and we played a free form RPG with combat and tense situations like chases often played out with the Inquisitor rules.

LostTemplar
07-01-2006, 20:59
I am currently running a Inquisitor Campaign. I based it out of Storm Troopers and their missions, all the way up to being lead to join into an Inquisitorial Retinue.

The system is fairly well balanced and fairly realistic aswell, relativly speaking of course.

it has a few problems, however, which are the fact it is too complex when you wish to run large battles, like say, a small group of storm troopers landing on their valkyries into the midst of a intense combat.

Latro_
07-01-2006, 23:33
yea some regualrs at gw (the smelly hobo kind) used 40k models cus they were to cheap to buy the I scale ones hehe

Olith
08-01-2006, 00:10
yea some regualrs at gw (the smelly hobo kind) used 40k models cus they were to cheap to buy the I scale ones hehe

You have to admit that, especially when it was released, the miniature range is hugely lacking for Inquisitor. The terrain though was our biggest concern. Most people don't have much anyway for 40k or what not, let alone having to build it all over again.

Kahadras
08-01-2006, 02:32
We ran one a while ago. I ended up playing a Blood Claw :) . I was quite cool but I rarely got to do much as enemies tended to die to shooting before I got into close combat. We did have that incident with a Genestealer but I think everybody was running away at that point...

Kahadras

Strikerkc
08-01-2006, 03:29
The d100 stats and character creation is great to use, but I've found that if your going to run an actual rpg you need to just throw out the way they do "actions" in inquisitor. It's much better to use the stats of Inquisitor but the equivilant actions of a D&D or another d20 game (full attacks, 1 move + 1 attack, or 2 moves, etc). Other wise you end up with a bunch of people that run around and never really get to do what they wanted to.

Tulkas
08-01-2006, 07:57
As with any RPG, I think it's the easiest when you have a board set up and actual models portraying where you are in the conflict. Biggest issue so far for me (with RPGs) has always been the fact you and the DM are never sure where your character is actually standing. You can usually use that to your advantage quite easy (No but I was fighting him. Oh where you? Well ok then...) And that's, in my opinion, the beauty of using it with 40K mini's. I downloaded the living Rulebook a year back, I'll see about using it someday.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

*reads Latro_'s post.*
*goes and has a bath*

Krusk
08-01-2006, 08:02
Modded wfrp can work well too. Inquisitor is good, but unless you change some stuff, its sorta.... too heroic if you know what I mean.

Jo Bennett
08-01-2006, 13:41
A friend of mine did a rather fine kitbash of Inquisitor and WFRP that can be found here:
http://imperium.freeservers.com/

Which works well enough without figures, though we've also played Inquisitor with 40k scale figures.

Myst
08-01-2006, 13:49
I actually much prefer using 40k scale models for Inquisitor. The Inquisitor scale have a much smaller range and a nightmare to convert.