PDA

View Full Version : How do Dark Elf Assassin works?

Troah
30-07-2009, 14:51
I've been wondering how Dark Elf assassins work. My friend uses them but neglects to tell me anything about them and from what I can gather here in Warseer is that they're really really good.

I've been told that they're unit upgrades, sort of like the Skinkxigor unit in the Lizardmen army. But I've also seen my friend detach this 'upgrade' from his units and send it flying at me. So...yeah it confuses me.

Count Zero
30-07-2009, 15:08
Yes they are bought in a similar way to an upgrade, you can buy 1 per infantry unit in the army and they take up no slots. b4 the game he should write down which units contain which the assassins, and he should be specific if he has more than 1 assassin kitted out in different ways, but of course he doesn't have to tell you in advance. Once revealed they act as characters (unit cant use their LD though)

They also have a magic item that gives the steed of shadows bound spell. they can be nasty, but to make them decent you are probably looking between 150-170 points on each so if he is taking a lot then other parts of his army should be lacking, DE aren't that cheap (cept spearmen) .

Cathel
30-07-2009, 18:54
Count Zero has it right.
A decent assassin is around his point range, too. So either that or a combat character.
They usually don't work well to assassinate characters, they are better off generating ACR. And they die fast to shooting having 2 wounds and no armour.

They get better with "gifts" that can be given to more than one assassin, though the "steed of shadows" is an item and only available to one assassin.

willowdark
30-07-2009, 19:15
I'd think that if an Assassin were truly a unit upgrade then individual units would have in their entries something like, "may take an Assassin for 90 points. Assassin may take gifts of Khaine up to 75 pts."

An Assassin is a special type of character that doesn't count towards character allotment and has a special deployment rule. An Assassin is required to start the game in a unit but is no more part of that unit than a character would be if he'd started the game in that unit.

An Assassin is not bound by any rule to always join the same unit, the same way that a wizard is not required to always use the same lore. He may be included in any unt listed in the Hidden rule.

Quote from Dark Elf book pg. 61: "An Assassin is a special type of character. He begins the game hidden in one of the following units: Dark Elf Spearman..." etc.

Staurikosaurus
31-07-2009, 05:25
Why don't you just ask to read your friend's army book? Or go to a local GW and look at the open copy.

Troah
01-08-2009, 14:42
Why don't you just ask to read your friend's army book? Or go to a local GW and look at the open copy.

Because my friend is anal about letting people look in his codex and I don't have a local GW shop.

willowdark
01-08-2009, 15:16
You should be able to take one off the shelf at the store where you buy your models and read it. It doesn't have to be a GW. Where do you buy your stuff?

narrativium
01-08-2009, 15:24
Because my friend is anal about letting people look in his codex
That's beside the point. He may think there's a tactical edge to keeping his opponent in the dark about what troops are capable of, but you should remain confident that he's still following the rules of the game. Tell him he can hold the book open at the right page, and he only has to do that when the Assassin first deploys, but all you want to do is check he's using it right.

Unuhexium
01-08-2009, 15:51
It's annoying when people use that kind of (mis)information as a weapon. A friend of mine have a pretty annoying habbit of always placing a couple of assassins in a corner of the table wether he has any or not just to psych his opponents.

Staurikosaurus
01-08-2009, 15:59
Because my friend is anal about letting people look in his codex and I don't have a local GW shop.

Sad.

Ask to see every rule in his army book each time he uses it -statlines, powers, etc. That should get your point across.

theunwantedbeing
01-08-2009, 16:02

Anyone unwilling to prove a rule must be assumed to be cheating.
It's the only way to treat such people.

Griefbringer
01-08-2009, 16:09
Definitely agree with the above posters; any gamer should be willing and able to let his opponent consult his army book in order to verify any rule contained within.

narrativium
01-08-2009, 16:39
It's annoying when people use that kind of (mis)information as a weapon. A friend of mine have a pretty annoying habbit of always placing a couple of assassins in a corner of the table wether he has any or not just to psych his opponents.
That's a different kind of misinformation, as it's not preventing your opponent from knowing how the army works.

Instead it's being fiddly about what's in the army, but I'm not sure this is unreasonable. Sometimes it's more awkward getting hidden models out of the case later in a game, and sometimes it's easier to track them if the models are visible. I think your friend is being a bit more tricksy than is fair, but I'd have no problem with a Dark Elf player looking at the armies (minus hidden models) before the game and then making quick notes on his army sheet for each assassin in it, even if there aren't any. The opponent of a Dark Elf should be a little paranoid, after all...

Condottiere
01-08-2009, 17:25
If it's because your friend want to retain his army book in mint condition, than he'd be better off buying a second copy. While I'm not enthused about letting other people's sweaty paws on my stuff, it's an acknowledged part of the game, which he should take into account.