PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Bretonnian Tournament List (advice Needed)

Etienne Navarre
09-05-2005, 10:54
Bretonnian Lord: General, Lance, Heavy Armour, Grail Vow, Sword of the Lady's Champion, The Grail Shield, Virtue of Discipline (1st), Warhorse; 255 Pts

Paladin Battle Standard Bearer: Heavy Armour, Battle Standard Bearer, Grail Vow, Banner of the Lady, Warhorse; 195 Pts

Damsel of the Lady: Magic Level 1, Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll x2, Warhorse; 130 Pts

6 Grail Knights: Standard, Musician, Banner of Defense; 288 Pts

Paladin: Heavy Armour, Shield, Questing Vow, Sword of Might, Virtue of Discipline (2nd), Warhorse; 134 Pts

Damsel of the Lady: Magic Level 1, Lore of Beasts, Dispel Scroll, Warhorse; 105 Pts

7 Questing Knights: Standard, Musician, War Banner, Paragon; 248 Pts

6 Knights of the Realm: Standard, Musician, Gallant; 168 Pts

6 Knights Errant: Standard, Musician, Errantry Banner, Cavalier; 161 Pts

6 Knights Errant: Standard, Musician, Cavalier; 141 Pts

5 Mounted Yeomen: Spear; Bow, Musician; 82 Pts

5 Mounted Yeomen: Spear; Bow, Musician; 82 Pts

Casting Pool: 4

Dispel Pool: 4

Models in Army: 64

Total Army Cost: 2493

Grail unit has: cancel ranks with the "Banner of the Lady", denies +1 outnumber for enemy with "virtue of discipline".

Questing Unit has: +1 combat resolution (War Banner), denies +1 outnumber for enemy with "virtue of discipline".

The Grail and Questing Units are the base units all the other knight units support with flank charges or take on units 2-3 at a time.

The 2 unit of yeoman act as march deniers or bait.

Was thinking of adding the virtue of duty (30) instead of the second virtue of discipline but it only works while general is still alive. Same points tho.

Also was thinking Virtue of Heroism (40) as a nasty surprise for my lord but then it forces him to be without a magical weapon leaving him exposed.

I was also thinking of giving my paladin a great weapon and the cuirass of fortune (instead of the sword of might) for strike last str 7 attacks rerolling 1s.

Lore of Beasts: My level 1 damels will take the level 1 Oxen Stand's 5+ rally spell.

Just looking for advice regarding the effectiveness of the list guys. Any input would be appreciated.

Etienne Navarre
17-05-2005, 15:01
Any Bretonnian Players out there? ;p

Neknoh
17-05-2005, 16:22
Well....

I think that you will suffer greatly if your Questing or Grail Knights gets defeated in some way, since they can cause mass panic in your army.

For the Knights Errant units, I would add 2 more Knights Errant to each of the units, lending you 4 extra attacks to each unit.

You are relying to heavely upon your two fihgting units is what I can say, if they gets destroyed in some way, or tied up, the rest of your army is dead.

Louis21
17-05-2005, 17:33
For me, You have to many too small lances, maybe less but great in number:D, I think that taking some archers (against fast cavalry they are very good), and pegasus knights may be, a good idea. Also raising up level of both damsels.

Etienne Navarre
18-05-2005, 01:18
Thanks for the input guys. Its greatly appreciated.

Normally I would consider feilding a more well balanced army but this tournament I am going to is a beardy cheese fest.

No points for generalship or army composition, and they allow appendix armies. So things like black knight armies and all kinds of over powered stuff will be fielded.

I have come up with army mainly because a) i have all these models painted already (yes lazy) and b) I just need stuff with staying power (ie high armour saves and ward saves).

I am seeking comments regarding how I can maximize the list as it stands rather than changing its composition (as I have neither the time or inclination to buy or paint any extra models. I do have access to a paladin on pegasus and 3 pegasus knights if needs be. Thanks guys :p

Louis21
18-05-2005, 14:38
Pegasus Knights can be very useful, paladin on royal pegasus too:)

Etienne Navarre
18-05-2005, 16:03
I was thinking of pegasus knighst are good for dealing with enemy warmachines etc. and the paladin on the royal pegasus for the same reason and also armed with the virtue of heroism (killing blow on large targets) can threaten larger creatures like giants etc. Part of me is tempted to give that virtue to my lord instead.

Neknoh
18-05-2005, 17:54
No, have this little bugger flying arround... and see if you have the points to give him that nice armour/enchanted item/talisman that allows him to reroll either 1s to hit or 1s to wound, that should do it.

Imagine your opponent when you charge his big and nast BD lord on Zombie Dragon and you actally manage to hit and Killingblow that bloody dragon?

Or a Bloodthirster

Roman
18-05-2005, 18:11
they allow appendix armiesOh dear....

List looks ok to me, although there are ALOT of points in the grail unit (almost 900 :/) and you dont really have anything against dragons.

I think a Necrarch Appendix list can massacre you without alot of effort :p

Etienne Navarre
19-05-2005, 00:55
Well most knights are heavily armoured and against dragons would have a 5+ ward save. There not really much in a bretonnian list that can take on a dragon ie devastating war machines etc. But Several units charging should take out a dragon easily.

Hopefully a completely chessy concept of a multiple dragon necrach army is too unthinkable to any tournament player even the beardy cheesy ones :D

I live in hope.

Ultimately There is no way to desgn an army for every potential army you will face. I can only plan it so that I have maxmium about of survivablity for my points i guess :p

Against shooty heavy armies I guess I will depend on my better armour saves and the blessing and the banner of defense.

Against magic heavy armies - dispell scrolls, blessing against strong magical dd spells, damsels and magic resistance and hope to be in charge range by the second turn

Against big man/ large creature armies - multiple charges with lance formations, better armour saves and blessing.

Roman
19-05-2005, 10:17
There not really much in a bretonnian list that can take on a dragon True, except for the small dow cannon brets dont really have anything against them....

Good luck on the tourny

Neknoh
19-05-2005, 13:21
True, except for the small dow cannon brets dont really have anything against them....

Good luck on the tourny

I humbly ask you to recheck your Bretonnian Rare Choice selection.

Bretonnians may NOT field Dogs of War or Regiments of Renown unless specifikally stated in the unit entry of the RoR.

As for dealing with Dragons, there are a couple of ways:

Paladin on Pegasus or Lord on Hippogryph/Pegasus with that nice little Virtue of Killingblow Large Targets, armed with the non-weapon thingie that allows you to reroll 1's to wound in the first round of Combat.

There is also that nice Trebuchet, and at only a 100 points as well as strength 10 under the hole.

And we must not forget the Grail Reliquae

Etienne Navarre
22-05-2005, 15:57
Yeah I was thinking of going with this option:

Bretonnian Lord @ 418 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Questing Vow
Virtue of Heroism (1st) [40]
Cuirass of Fortune [20]
Tress of Isoulde [20]
Enchanted Shield [10]
Hippogryph @ [200] Pts

It gives him a 3+ armour save, blessing, reroll failed psychology tests, Str 6 attacks (striking last except on charges - most lords on dragons will have higher initiative anyway), tress for 2+ hits against the dragon or monstrous mount (one use), rerolling 1s on wound rolls, killing blow on large targets.

Not too bad, any other tooling suggestions?

I was thinking of also having my paladin freeball on a royal pegasus as well. Any suggestions for a cool 50pt virtue/magic item combo for him? :D

Anthonius
23-05-2005, 00:26
Speaking from experience in running all knight armies, 9 man lances are far more effective than 6 man lances, even when running the combined charges etc. you just get bogged down way too easily with the 6 man ones.
Also, spread around the pain, don't count on your saves too much, GK are rock hard, but 2 cannon shearing over them and they're almost certainly on their way to the grail chappel in the sky. I certainly wouldn't place the bsb in there if you have half a chance, they are more than capable of holding their own without. A better host would be the QK, which don't have the same amount of sheer damage potential...
Finaly, the Lord I usually run nowadays has a grail vow, the cuirass of fortune and the silver lance of the blessed, its an almost guaranteed 4 dead infantry.

maxwell123
23-05-2005, 00:39
Yeah I was thinking of going with this option:

Bretonnian Lord @ 418 Pts
General; Great Weapon; Questing Vow
Virtue of Heroism (1st) [40]
Cuirass of Fortune [20]
Tress of Isoulde [20]
Enchanted Shield [10]
Hippogryph @ [200] Pts

It gives him a 3+ armour save, blessing, reroll failed psychology tests, Str 6 attacks (striking last except on charges - most lords on dragons will have higher initiative anyway), tress for 2+ hits against the dragon or monstrous mount (one use), rerolling 1s on wound rolls, killing blow on large targets.

Not too bad, any other tooling suggestions?

That's the best combination for killing large target in the entire game. I tend to go with Grail Vow and lance instead of Questing Vow and Great Weapon, but otherwise that combination is awesome.
If you get the charge, any large target is almost certainly gone.
4 attacks hit on 2+. That's 3-4 hits. Then all you need is a single 6 with those 3-4 hits and that dragon/bloodthirster/griffon or any other large target is history. (save Slann, who have that annoying 4+ ward) .

I killed a Bloodthirster with that combo when I charged it in one round a few weeks back.

Etienne Navarre
23-05-2005, 08:02
That's the best combination for killing large target in the entire game. I tend to go with Grail Vow and lance instead of Questing Vow and Great Weapon, but otherwise that combination is awesome.
If you get the charge, any large target is almost certainly gone.
4 attacks hit on 2+. That's 3-4 hits. Then all you need is a single 6 with those 3-4 hits and that dragon/bloodthirster/griffon or any other large target is history. (save Slann, who have that annoying 4+ ward) .

I killed a Bloodthirster with that combo when I charged it in one round a few weeks back.

I wanted to go grail virtue and lance cause immune to psychology is great. But then i thought if i kill a dragon and then have to fight the rider (ie does not break from combat res) the i'd rather have str6 striking last than str4 striking after (ie vamp and chaos lords have better initiative). What do you think?