PDA

View Full Version : Can you make a non beardy pure Nurgle Deamon army?

Cpt. Drill
31-07-2009, 03:05
Hi guys I recently gave away a death gaurd army I did a while back and the guy didnt want the demons so I thought I would try out a warhammer deamon army. I havent played this edition apart from when it first came out and have heard alot of things about deamons being utterly broken. But seeing as im poor I thought it would be an easy army to make and I do love painting nurgle stuff!

The things I was thinking of including...

Special character GUO (I like that stone thrower attack)
I could have a normal GUO, I want to include one seeing as I have the model.

Some Heralds
Maybe a combot one and a magic one?

Loads of nurglings

Bunch of Plaguebearers

Beast of nurgle?

Maybe Furies
something to fly around and have some fun with?

I do want the army to have some playability and not just get destroyed. Also I want it to have some tactical potential... Be able to do some funy things? (Am I asking to much?) I might also add I am the least beardy player in the world, I have a group of friends who are far more into the spirit of the game than winning so often games will result in the coolest move being made instead of the best. I dont want to win any tournys or anything like that just a playable army for fun...

Any help?

TheDean04
31-07-2009, 03:25
From what I understand its the heralds (especially the especial character ones) that send the list way over the top.
From what I understand nurgle (with the their special herald) is the least cheestastic.

Ozorik
31-07-2009, 03:37
I wouldn't call pure Nurgle beardy.

The plaguebearer deathstar is but thats fun for no one.

Quite tough but expensive heavy infantry is the core of the force with some quite limited support options. I cant see it being particulary overpowered providing you stay away from the aforementioned monstrosity.

It strikes me as quite a dull list really, simply because the new chaos books have not been designed around monogod armies. Furies wil definately be a tactical help and provide a bit of a change to the plodding bulk of the army.

Cpt. Drill
31-07-2009, 03:40
What is this plaguebearer deathstar? Like 30 guys with lots of wizards sat in it?

What do you guys think of (spelling!?) the Paliquin?

Draconian77
31-07-2009, 05:03
I like the Palanquin, especially useful if you upgrade your units with the "re-roll failed to wound" banner(Seeping Decay?).

For a pure Nurgle army, you'll probably want at least 2 Heralds on Palanquins, each in a unit with that banner. Add items. (Generally speaking Noxious Vapours is a Nurgle players favourite gift)

I would look into giving one of them the Banner of Chaos Glory(or whatever its called, the expensive Stubborn one) (This banner also makes the GUO a real monster)

I like the idea of a 3 model Beast of Nurgle unit. As long as they stay within range of the BsB they should be impossible to hurt. However, that was in my multi-god list. In a mono-Nurlge list, maybe 2 units of 2 as flankers would be more useful? Expensive, but at 2250 you should still have plenty of points to play around with.

Definately get some Furies, but bearing in mind that shooting will barely hurt you, use them to prevent yourself from being march-blocked.

I have no opinion on Nurglings, I haven't tried them.

ZeroTwentythree
31-07-2009, 05:07
The Nurgle armies I've faced have been essentially about points denial. They don't accomplish anything, but they are nigh-indestructible. They are focused around plaguebearers and heralds and not a whole lot else. Maybe some beasts. I've never seen anyone do it, but the GUO seems pretty tough to kill while not being a huge threat, as well.

Games against them are about as exciting as clipping my toenails or watching golf on television. :eyebrows:

I wouldn't call them beardy or cheesy. More like my opponent is saying, "OK, lets just call it a draw. I don't feel like putting an effort in to the game." ;)

TheSanityAssassin
31-07-2009, 05:23
Unless your opponent is fighty High Elves, in which case he either runs in to you and melts when you deny ASF and make him strike last, where the expensive paper-armoured Elves died and run like girls, or you both just stand there shaking fists at each other and trading the odd spell and well timed insults.

I don't think Nurgle is a very cheesy list (beyond that Deathstar, which is a unit of 20+ plaguebearers with 3 Palanquin characters as the whole front rank, one of which is the special character), but it's extra brutal against Elves, and just....no fun to play at all. (at least in my opinion.)

Kerill
31-07-2009, 11:02
Take beasts of nurgle and a great unclean one as general and a maximum of 2 heralds to go with it. Have a couple of units of nurglings and furies for variety- not a cheesey list and the beasts and GUO will allow you to have a bit more fun whilst giving your opponent something other than big plaguebearer blocks to take down.

crazywhiteboydance
31-07-2009, 13:59
The dirtiest PB deathstar has the 3 palanquins in the front (one being Epi) but also skulltaker! This unit/army is rediculous!

Cpt. Drill
31-07-2009, 14:18
Thanks alot for the help guys!

Given me alot to think about with the list.

lee
31-07-2009, 14:58
The dirtiest PB deathstar has the 3 palanquins in the front (one being Epi) but also skulltaker! This unit/army is rediculous!

;) i will have to use you skulltaker some time and try that out sam

dal9ll
31-07-2009, 19:47
It certainly doesnt take 30 Plaguebearers to have a Deathstar. You can make a vioable Death Star unit with only around 15 Plaguebearers, assuming your opponent isnt running a ton of Flaming attacks.

Thats another thing, with an army like Mono-Nurgle Daemons, Flaming Attacks are basically the antithesis of your army.

Furies are essential, and Nurglings can make great tarpits while you slow Plagubearers catch up to the fight.

I'd run 2 Heralds on Palanquins, a GUO, and Epidemus. Then three 10-20-man units of Plaguebearers.

theunwantedbeing
31-07-2009, 19:54
Non-beardy?

Stay clear of Herald lead Plaguebearer units.
Avoid either magical banner Nurgle units can carry.
Steer clear of noxious vapours, especially on palanquinn riding heralds.
A battle standard is also worth avoiding.

Focus more on Nurglings and Beasts of Nurgle.
Take a Nurgle Daemon prince general or a Great Unclean One.
Go for a MSU, rather than FLU (few large units).

Definitely don't take Epidemius.

It's not really all the restricting sticking to the above rules.
Your army won't be classed as beardy if you follow them though.

Drachen_Jager
31-07-2009, 20:02
Hey, that's MY avatar!

dal9ll
31-07-2009, 20:08
Non-beardy?

Youve just listed the things that make Nurgle Daemons good, then told the OP to not run any of them. Plaguebearers without a Herald are GARBAGE. Just Trash. Moreover, Epidemus is not that scary. Remember that he doesnt provide the Locus! Palanquins are completely offensive mounts and are still T3 one wound to kill.

There IS a way to make a non-beardy Nurgle list that doesnt involve castrating the unit choices, overall strategy, and theme of the army.

theunwantedbeing
31-07-2009, 21:06
Palanquins are completely offensive mounts and are still T3 one wound to kill.

*facepalm*
Seriously?

Palanquinns are cavalry mounts so cannot be slain seperately from the rider, they can't even be attacked seperately.
Learn the rules before making stupid comments?

Epidemius tallymen ability is what makes him powerful.
An army built to take advantage of this is hugely powerful and as a result he's really quite broken.
You don't even need the locus ability when your troops poison the enemy on a 4+ to hit, and then generate an additional point of combat res per poisoned wound inflicted.

When trying to create a non-beardy list you have to identify the good things and avoid them as much as possible. It's Common sense.

Kalec
31-07-2009, 21:13
Just take three giant units of plaguebearers and a nurgle daemon prince. You would have to try to make a worse army.

dal9ll
31-07-2009, 21:23
So by your expert opinion a non-beardy Nurgle army will be only Plaguebearers, Nurglings, Furies, and Beasts?

I think its quite funny that consider Plaguebearers to be even moderately worthwhile without a Herald. S4 just doesnt save them from being junk without Regeneration. Keep in mind they have to actually KILL something to get the Tally up, and without the power of Heralds, this is MUCH slower process.

And by the by, youre right about the Palanquins -- I had a brain fart about mounts. However, 50 points for 6 S3, WS3 Poisoned attacks is by no means undercosted or even overpowered for that matter. Finally, keep the unnecessary displays of arrogance and your knowitall demeanor to yourself lest you come off as a fat jerk.

Cpt. Drill
01-08-2009, 02:02
I think that epidemus is cool I like the tally thing cant wait to play goblins with it! I fear that it tempts me to use more magic though as the +3 to casting is pretty nice! Would be a shame against ogres though:eyebrows: Well I guess those guys need something going for them!

Once again thanks for the help everyone

Just take three giant units of plaguebearers and a nurgle daemon prince. You would have to try to make a worse army.
That army sounds... Amazing... Sadly I am gonna scratch build the Plaglads and it might be a bit ambitous.

Thats another thing, with an army like Mono-Nurgle Daemons, Flaming Attacks are basically the antithesis of your army.

Hehehe I actually quite like that... Some silly semi rare thing that causes alot of trouble for the army! I do like my weaknesses.

Hey, that's MY avatar!
I think you will find this is my avatar, I first used it on the portent forums when I joined in 2001 and have used it on every other forum I go one (pretty much this one).

Oh and its not really an original .gif everyone has it...

NakedBarbarian
01-08-2009, 02:09
All Nurgelesque army sounds wicked cool. Im doing an entirely khorne daemon army.

Cpt. Drill
01-08-2009, 02:34
If we ever get the chance I would like to play that army!

They say some nurgle diseases effect deamons too! (I guess all khorne axes effect deamons...)

BloodHawk
02-08-2009, 05:36
Non-beardy?

This is simply not fair to say to someone, and it really frustates me that people say stuff like this. I have been a huge Daemon hater from the get go and only recently changed my oppinion on them after reading the book. It is not right to crush someone's enthusiasm for an army by telling them what they cannot use. I am sorry if I come accross rude, it is not my intention. I just feel that it is unfair for Daemon players to be persecuted in a sense if they are not intentionally trying to break the game.

To the topic poster. My friend and I are actually worknig on creating a Nurgle army themed around Resident Evil 4's Las Plagas and Los Ganados. We playtested in a small game the other day. THe nurgle army lost, but we both saw tons of potential and the game could have gone either way.

If you want to make a nurgle list there are many, many options.

1) Do you want a Great Unclean one to lead? It looks as if you do. Do you want Kougath (Special Character GUO)? If so you will not have as much magic, but a very cool stone thrower attack

2) Heralds should probably be wizards and be on palanquins. You have several options with Heralds, but my two favorites are magic heavy and close combat heavy. With magic heavy you want to use the bound spell level 3 rancid visitations. THese are 50 pts and take up your whole magic allotment but give you a cool magic bound spell to help with your magic. The other option would be close combat. With close combat you will definitely want noxious vapours to take away enemies ASF, and I also like slime trail to deny enemies flank and rear attacks or soul hunger to reroll wounds in the first round of combat.

3) You can take epidimius if you want and he is very, very fun. He does two things for your army. First he takes up a hero slot, and is relatively cheap compared to a tricked out herald, however, he is not a wizard. His tally of pestilence is very fun and allows bonuses as nurgle kills enemies. The great part about this list is that Nurgle stuff generally has trouble killing enemies, but with epididimius your armies offence really picks up steam as the game goes along. After 8 nurgle kills your army poisons on a 4+! Remember however, that Epidimius is fairly easy to kill for a toughness 6 regenerator. In my small points game a few days ago he was killing blowed in the first round of combat.

4) Your plaguebearer units should be sized according to and in numbers corresponding to your heralds. Heralds take up 4 slots in a plaguebearer unit with a palanquin for instance. Also you probably want to make sure you have an equal number of plaguebearer units for your heralds. I am a big fan of the standard of seeping decay which allows all of your unsaved poison wounds to double for combat res. THis allows your normally sedate plaguebearers to fight efficiently in CC.

5) Nurglings are very cool and work well with epidimius should you choose to go that route. Beasts of nurgle are also very nice and difficult to kill.

6) Lastly, the 1st spell of nurgle is invaluable and should be used tactically when required.

I hope you find an army that you like and can have fun with. Make sure to scale your army to your competition which should be easy enough. Let me know if you have any more questions.

sulla
02-08-2009, 22:01
To the OP: Go with a GUO and only 1-2 heralds (one could be Epid). At least one unit of beasts and 2 units of units of nurglings then add as much hard stuff as you can afford after that. That way, you have not maximised your army. Also, you have a diverse army that will have many different units that need to be used in different ways. It will be more challenging to you than maximising the most efficient units.

EvC
02-08-2009, 22:10
I like the Palanquin, especially useful if you upgrade your units with the "re-roll failed to wound" banner(Seeping Decay?).

For a pure Nurgle army, you'll probably want at least 2 Heralds on Palanquins, each in a unit with that banner. Add items. (Generally speaking Noxious Vapours is a Nurgle players favourite gift)

I would look into giving one of them the Banner of Chaos Glory(or whatever its called, the expensive Stubborn one) (This banner also makes the GUO a real monster)

I like the idea of a 3 model Beast of Nurgle unit. As long as they stay within range of the BsB they should be impossible to hurt. However, that was in my multi-god list. In a mono-Nurlge list, maybe 2 units of 2 as flankers would be more useful? Expensive, but at 2250 you should still have plenty of points to play around with.

Definately get some Furies, but bearing in mind that shooting will barely hurt you, use them to prevent yourself from being march-blocked.

I have no opinion on Nurglings, I haven't tried them.

So your answer to the thread's topic ("Can you make a non beardy pure Nurgle Deamon army?") is a resounding "No sir, no I cannot!" :D

Although BloodHawk's response is about 10 times worse :o

Lazarus15
03-08-2009, 04:41
Or in reality, the answer is a resounding, "yes, I can, have, and will."

If you are telling me that the following is broken then you are sucking:
-9 Max powerdice in a pure nurgle army (cannot include epidemius at this level)
-4 or so bound items at bound level 3
-Movement value 4
-1 Attack

This should not turn into the same old thread that you are usually apart of, which is "daemons are brokkkkeeeennnn." All Bloodhawk did was answer and advise the original poster on his opinion and you come across like a jerk. :o

Now onto the poster's question, Bloodhawk nailed it right on the head. There is no easy button for you, because you don't have the offensive capabilities that so many other armies have. You must rely on your resiliency, and try to keep that in mind at all times. Keep in mind that things that scare you are fast moving units, and units with alot of attacks. This is besides the obvious flaming and killing blow achillies heal you have.

GUO: Great General, almost a must have for theme, not over the top though

Heralds: One per unit, on palanquin for extra S3 attacks. BSB if you want one. The conversion you can make for this is pretty much whatever your mind can create.

Epidemius: Not over the top, and can die just like every other US 2 model to either killing blow, or lots of flaming hits.

Plaguebearers: The backbone of the army, blocks of about 14-16 with Palanquin are just fine. Banners are good!

Nurglings: A must for any themed army!

Beasts: I would again include one with a themed army! Count it as a supporting unit to attack chariots, light cav, skirmishers, etc.

Hope this helps!:cool:

EvC
03-08-2009, 12:03
But the thread is asking how to make a fair Daemon army. People suggesting you max out certain areas, take multiple Staffs of Nurgle, put every Herald on a Palanquin, take Epidemius (One of the most broken special characters in the game) and even taking the Stubborn Banner (which makes any Daemon army broken), that's just crazy! If the thread was about how to make a WAAC Daemon army then those would be fine suggestions, and I'd not stick my nose in. But this thread is about making a non-beardy army. Any chump can make the Great Wall of Nurgle- this isn't an attack on Daemon players, but it is an attack on people who can't get away from the WAAC mindset when designing armies, even when asked.

If you want to do a non-beardy, fun Nurgle Daemon army, I'd suggest the following:
Daemon Prince of Nurgle- give him no armour save weapon and re-roll misses or some such similar combo to give you some anti-armour capability
2 Heralds, maximum one on Palanquin. Ever seen someone give their Herald of Nurgle a Daemonic Chariot? No, neither have I, which probably means it's not very powerful- give it a try.
3 blocks of Plaguebearers- at least one with no Herald. Mix up the Icons if you want. Don't combine the re-roll Icon with a magic Herald.
As you have mostly an infantry armies, some Furies would suit you well.
Some lovely likkle Nurglings are of course well worth having.
Beasts are hideous, but don't take more than 2 in one unit, as they tend to become unkillable at that point, which means not much fun to play against. (And when I say unkillable, I mean unless your opponent tailors against you)

Lazarus15
03-08-2009, 13:58
EVC-Now that is a constructive and beneficial post. I agree with you on the standard of chaos glory. THAT is beardy. I know bloodhawk and in NO way is he a WAAC guy. I play high elves and tomb kings as well as daemons and if someone wants to create a competitive nurgle army, I will gladly play against it. And I am sorry, but multiple staffs are not beardy. They practically have no magic as is. Typical dispell dice is usually half of the opponents power dice (ROUGHLY) and a few scrolls. I see you play H. Elves, so you should be rolling with 4-5 dispell dice, 2-3 scrolls, and you already have a +1 to dispell, at least that's how I run my H. Elves balenced army (IE: Not magic heavy). Shouldn't be a huge problem. He isn't going to get every spell off.

I don't play nurgle, but the list I wrote was 3 blocks of 18, full command, 3 nurgling bases, 1 beast, 2 heralds, epidemius, and a GUO level IV. If some one is saying that, that is beardy, then I am very sorry, but you either need to revamp your army list, ask for help..perhaps from the daemon players themselves, and keep trying. I play Tzeentch THEMED daemons, and I have always had problems with Vampires. So I asked around, contemplated about how to take care of different things, and lo and behold I barely got a solid victory.

To the original poster, I hope ALL of this helps!

EvC
03-08-2009, 16:08
Well I'm sure I can take your word for it that Bloodhawk's not WAAC, but the suggestions he made certainly would not make a friendly Daemon army! I'm not sure if multiple Staffs is beardy or not, but if you ask tournament regulars I think it'd get a good eye-rolling. Last time I encountered a pure Nurgle army it had 3 Heralds, all with Staffs- he only got to use the spell once due to my amazing play, not that it mattered in the end as I hit his units in the flank and the rear, with powerful Vampire and Wight King characters that had flaming weapons, and still lost combat by 12 :(

That's with what could possibly be the best possible set-up to fight Nurgle Daemons, and I still got raped despite fantastically outplaying him (Dice were a bit rude to me, but the principle still applies). No-one else at the tournament enjoyed playing against that army, not even other Daemon players, although he was a nice enough chap. Just giving fair warning :)

BloodHawk
03-08-2009, 18:59
Well I'm sure I can take your word for it that Bloodhawk's not WAAC, but the suggestions he made certainly would not make a friendly Daemon army! I'm not sure if multiple Staffs is beardy or not, but if you ask tournament regulars I think it'd get a good eye-rolling.

I am sorry EVC I should probably clarify my previous comments. I was not actually suggesting that he use 3 or 4 staffs of nurgle. I would say that he could use 1 or 2 and be fine but it would depend how magic heavy the rest of his list was. I was more simply suggestion the different ways I see that the nurgle heralds should be built.

To the topic creater, I would definitely say that you could build a friendly non-beardy nurgle demon list. Just be carefull about going overboard on magic as nurgle magic can be very scary when used extensively. Make sure you have a good mix of units and you should be fine.

Discord
03-08-2009, 20:08
Ever seen someone give their Herald of Nurgle a Daemonic Chariot? No, neither have I, which probably means it's not very powerful

Hint: there's no chariot option for Nurgle heralds. :p

TheSanityAssassin
04-08-2009, 05:45
What I really want to do is play against Nurgle Daemons with NOT High Elves. On paper they don't look OTT, unless you really attempt to break them, though a bit boring to play....but noxious vapours + slime trail just makes it pretty much impossible for me to fight them without blowing my magic through the roof.

Draconian77
04-08-2009, 05:53
not that it mattered in the end as I hit his units in the flank and the rear, with powerful Vampire and Wight King characters that had flaming weapons, and still lost combat by 12.

Now how on earth did that happen?

Anyway, I think as long as he stick to a pure Nurgle non-Epi list his army will have strong points and weak points. I don't think that he should totally shy away from everything that's so nice about Nurgle though. (Noxious, Palanquins, etc, etc) In terms of magic, I doubt he could go past 8 PD+1~2 bounds without running a seriously small army so that shouldn't be OTT either.

EvC
04-08-2009, 11:33
It was something like 2 x 16+Palanquin Heralds in combat with Grave Guard to the front, 1 Skeleton unit with flaming attacks and Wight King with D3 wound great weapon to flank, another Skelly unit also in the front to add numbers and war banner, and a vampire with flaming lance in the rear. I don't think I killed a single one of them, but he more than made up for it. I think on average dice I would've killed maybe 3 and drawn the combat...

Dayum, that's weak. And quite a shame, all those old Daemon players who converted their own chariots :(

eyescrossed
04-08-2009, 12:05
Learn the rules before making stupid comments?

Learning English before using it might be a good idea.

timff8
07-12-2009, 04:38
Well of course there's no Nurgle chariot. What could pull the chariot? They don't have a model with movement of 7+ or flying, so....?

Roark
07-12-2009, 06:10

Yeah, this is a bit rich to be honest, EvC. You come on all high and mighty about whose posts in this thread are bad/worse, and you don't even know the contents of the army list being discussed.

Humility is a virtue, duder.

mistrmoon
07-12-2009, 06:23
Well of course there's no Nurgle chariot. What could pull the chariot? They don't have a model with movement of 7+ or flying, so....?
Ninja Nurglings;)

I have a friend who plays pure Nurgle deamons and they are pretty disgusting.

-epidemius
-3 x herald lv1, staff of nurgle, one with banner of hellfire
-3 x 15ish plaguebearers with the x2 combat res from poison
-1 x beast
-2 x 3 nurglings

The list doesnt seem so bad on paper but playing it is absolutly disgusting. Playing a full on thorek gunline (thorek, 9 warmachines, 50 missile troops) and deploying on the back table edge i have a 1-1 record against that army..... It isn' even fun all he does is waddle towards you and NEVER DIE.

And for everyone who underestimates the palanquin, when the tally gets up there that's 6 attacks that poison on a 4+ and cause double combat res.

try and make your list look like NOT that.

Cambion Daystar
07-12-2009, 10:34
NThe list doesnt seem so bad on paper but playing it is absolutly disgusting. Playing a full on thorek gunline (thorek, 9 warmachines, 50 missile troops) and deploying on the back table edge i have a 1-1 record against that army..... It isn' even fun all he does is waddle towards you and NEVER DIE.

Someone playing a full on thorek gunline complaining that daemons make for a boring game...

EvC
07-12-2009, 11:46
Yeah, this is a bit rich to be honest, EvC. You come on all high and mighty about whose posts in this thread are bad/worse, and you don't even know the contents of the army list being discussed.

Humility is a virtue, duder.

Wow that's sound advice from someone trolling a months-old topic, well done. Give yourself a high-five- one mistake in thousands of posts, which I already acknowledged, but it didn't get past you, oh no, you're way too smart for that, you caught it, you da MAN!! And yeah, that one mistake- guess it totally invalidates the rest of my entirely valid points eh? Especially the ones made after facing a typical Nurgle army. And it's not like it was a reasonable mistake to make as well, given that the old list had Nurgle Chariots and the new list has chariots for every god except Nurgle (And, coincidentally, you almost never see any of the three chariots except the Tzeentch one- dirt-cheap flying magic-using rank breaker with access to any magic lore, including one that lets him charge himself into the rear of enemy units), and a shame that they were removed from the new list. But yeah that one mistake, someone help nail me onto the cross, I better learn me some humility. But hang on, I just realised I never actually chastised anyone on this thread for not knowing the rules- only theunwantedbeing did that. So you actually took me to task because someone else got haughty over the rules, not me. Reading comprehension be damned, as long as it lets you get a cheap shot in eh? :D

I hope your post made you feel better, writing this one certainly amused me :)

The Nurgle Chariot were pulled by Beasts by the way, in case anyone was still curious ;)

Roark
07-12-2009, 22:54
Calm down, mate. I posted on the same day as the previous poster (ie: no threadromancy), and that particular issue is neither here nor there anyway.

Additionally, I didn't imply that you chastised anyone for rules-related issues, but rather made a pretty harsh value judgement on someone else's post when you yourself obviously aren't the arbiter of selections in this army list.

Take it easy, man.

Mmkay?