PDA

View Full Version : Space Wolves in sheep's clothing?

jason_sation
31-07-2009, 02:42
Ok, so I just wanted to use the thread title, but this thread is actually about fluff supporting Space Wolves in colors other than Powder Blue and Yellow. I'd like to start up an army, yet not have it look like everyone else's Space Wolf army. Any fluff or background on Space Wolves in other colors? I don't know much about them other than the basics (rebellious viking-werewolves from space), so any help would be appreciated.

Condottiere
31-07-2009, 03:12
They're supposedly Vikings, so some Scandanavian motifs, perhaps?

I won't mention Dalmatians.

genestealer_baldric
31-07-2009, 07:05
ive got a model spray thats almost exactly the same as adpatus battlegrey then drybushed codex grey then very diltuleted badab black over it creates a dark grey griity armour colour which i find works well. iam also using black shoulder pads which works well with the armour colour, I also think that the baby blue SW is not the best colour they should have.

silence
31-07-2009, 08:22
You could always use a darker grey colour, I'm sure that in the fluff there armour used to be dark grey, maybe your wolf lordr is ultra conservative and has ordered his great company to return to the colours of Russ's Space Wolves

StormWulfen
31-07-2009, 09:17
just remember hat the left shoulder pad should be yellow with the wolfs head as that is the chapter symbol not ragnars like alot of people think. the right pad can be what ever you want

Lord Damocles
31-07-2009, 09:26
If you represent one of the 'Lost Companies', you could concievably have Space Wolves in whatever colours you wanted.

Quote from previous tpoic:

As is well known, after the Horus Heresy the great Space Marine Legions of that time were broken up into the smaller chapters of today. In this way no single Chapter Master controlled the terrible power of an entire legion. However, despite this and the great size attributed to the Space Wolves Legion during the Crusades (Dionerius stated that the Space Wolves 'stood 10,000 strong at the gates of Thranx') no successor chapters are listed for the Space Wolves. This is a mystery I belive I can now shed some light onto. As may be observed from from the accompanying fragments, each one tells the story of a group of Space Wolves who appear to have separated themselves from the Chapter... /

...Wolf Lords of the Space Wolves Great Companies declare their allegiance to Russ and the Emperor but do not stipulate servitude to the Great Wolf.

It appears that in some cases a Wolf Lord and his Great Company sperate from the main body of the Chapter, undertaking their own quests and missions for a variety of reasons... /

As to the long term viability of these 'Lost Companies' it is difficult to say. given sufficient geneseed and technological competence it is entirely possible for such a company to maintain it's strength over a protracted period, inducting and training new recruits in the same way as a normal Chapter... /

Speculation aside, this subject obviously requires further investigation. A Space Wolves Great Company is a substantial organisation and the concept of having such groups wandering the galaxy without any kind of check or balance is somewhat worrying'.

lardy
31-07-2009, 10:59
That sound's all well and good, company's going off on there own and such but if they were recruiting from other world's wouldn't they over time take on the charicteristics of the people they are recruiting from and as such stop being Space Wolves??

grissom2006
31-07-2009, 13:50
I don't see why each Company of the Space Wolves can't go with a different shade of grey after all unlike other Chapters they don't have a single uniform marking for the Chapter between the Companies. The only think that links them is the rank markings for Blood Claw, Grey Hunters and Long Fangs beyond that they take on the Markings of the Company Master and have different variations of a wolve theme

Inquisitor S.
31-07-2009, 14:39
just remember hat the left shoulder pad should be yellow with the wolfs head as that is the chapter symbol not ragnars like alot of people think. the right pad can be what ever you want

I disagree. One shoulderpad shows the Great Company's scheme, the other one the "tactical clasification". So it does not have to be yellow.

Wolf Lord Eric Blackwolf
31-07-2009, 18:01
Yes, the left shoulder pad shows the great company they are with not the chapter. I personally play a pre-heresy colored power armor, adeptus battle grey and highlighted up. I personally say paint them the color you want to... they are your models after all.

eltanko
31-07-2009, 18:56
Could try and paint more like actual wolves, with different shades of grey, darker on the back, and a lighter/white stomach? just an idea, could always green stuff some fur pelts on aswell.

ElTanko

DvlDog
31-07-2009, 22:42
When I first started the Wolves a few years ago I painted them Space Wolves Grey with, I believe, Bad Moon Yellow shoulder pads. I did like the way they looked, but sadly all of my 40k is...no longer with us. I started them back up early this year and after painting them conventionally the first time I decided to paint them more of a codex/fortress grey. The shoulder pads would tell between BC and GH and such using the colours in the codex. These colours in themselves were a lot darker and more drab. I had a pallid looking yellow and dark red for the blood claws and used black for my GH.
I think the actual use of grey for the SW looks a lot better than the light blue.

Messiah
31-07-2009, 22:55
Well, theyre scandinavian, so you could paint them in the colours of e.g. Sweden. And the wolf part of their fluff should be represented too, wolves are grey, so perhaps you could mix in brey in the blue colour?

Nah seriously, Ive always think they look really good in solid grey and red.

Johnnyfrej
01-08-2009, 01:06
Well, I've been thinking about making an Iron Hands army using the new SW codex but use standard Marine models. However I don't think this applies to you.

Personally, it's your army. Who's to say what your Wolf Lord's company colors should be? I say go with whatever pattern appeals to you the most.

pookie
03-08-2009, 12:46
ive always found that when painting an established Legion/Chapter using the established colours is the best, after all, you cant really be using a SW chapter if they aint, painted you know, as SW's.

as for the shade, this has changed, but only the same as the company markings have with the UM, esentially they are a light shade of blue/grey, after all you dont see Green Ultra Marines do you?

nightgant98c
03-08-2009, 15:59
I don't lke light blue as "space wolves grey". It's not even grey. If I ever get around to doing space wolves, I'll use a real shade of grey.

PondaNagura
03-08-2009, 16:11
I liked the idea that each great company would have it's own color scheme/style, and then each company/squad would have their respective squad markings/totems to identify themselves as individuals...same goes for my idea of WE and IW
but i kind of like the idea of a black iron, 2:1 boltgun metal to hawk turquoise & then watered down wash of chaos black. that way they have a subtle blue-ish color but with a rough-forged feel, and the early Mks of power armor.

Inquisitor S.
03-08-2009, 16:12
If you look at offiial artwork you'll find plenty of references for really grey armour, no need at all to use this blue-grey. Heck you could also just use the Rogue Trader Box scheme:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.de/wiki/Datei:RTB01-SpaceWolves1987.jpg