PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons & Dragons Board Game

Sylass
07-01-2006, 22:21
Does anyone know the Dungeons & Dragons Board Game?

My girlfriend phoned me today and said she had bought it. It's meant to be quite similar to HeroQuest from what she told me and from what I could see on the net.

Anyone who played it? How is it? :)

Apple Dave
08-01-2006, 19:59
I brought this game a while ago, it is in essence very similar to Hero Quest except based on D&D. There is also a winter type expansion avaliable that includes more quests, more weapons/spells and such, an all new barbarian figure and a cool Ice Dragon. Last time i checked it was avaliable from gameslore.co.uk.

Sylass
17-01-2006, 18:06
Yep, it's indeed very similar to HQ but still different. Random initiative of games master and heroes, and a (a bit more) detailed combat system are one of the more obvious differences.

Unlike HeroQuest, there are no furniture pieces, but you still get stuff like doors, pillars, trees, treasure chest, traps and whatnot. It's just that most of the decoration is 2D instead of 3D and made from thick cardboard instead of plastic/cardboard.

We just played the first 2 dungeons to test the game and get used to the rules, but I can definately say that it was a lot of fun.

If you like HeroQuest, this game is worth a try too. :)

Crazy Harborc
17-01-2006, 19:24
Wellllll.........did you let her win??

Is it safe to guess that the board game is like a boardgame and not the old style of D & D? I hope so. My grand children like board games.

Mad Makz
17-01-2006, 20:57
Yeah, it's definitely a board game. It's quite cool seen it played a couple of time, although from memory I think the rogue's abilities were very powerful.

Sylass
18-01-2006, 08:57
Wellllll.........did you let her win??She decided to take the role of the game master and played the evil guys. I played the 4 heroes. I could not let evil win! :evilgrin:

We planned to switch sides after a dungeon or two, but she said she'd prefer to be the evil one. :angel:

On sunday we'll see how the next dungeon turns out to be and if the heroes are able to win that too. :)

Is it safe to guess that the board game is like a boardgame and not the old style of D & D? I hope so. My grand children like board games.
As MadMakz said, it's a board game. Think Talisman, HeroQuest, StarQuest...

[...] although from memory I think the rogue's abilities were very powerful.The halfling girl has the special abitlity to "walk through" monsters blocking a passage/door. It's quite useful cause in some cases it's the only way to get a hero into a room when a really strong monster is blocking the door and forcing you to a 1vs1 fight.

She has a higher chance to get better items from treasure chests too, but this ability is a bit limited cause of her "maximum item restriction". Contrary to the other heroes, she can only carry 4 instead of 5 items. And of course there is a higher risk of activating traps/ambushs hiding in treasure chests...

hairyman
18-01-2006, 12:57
Think Talisman...

Now there was a good board game.

Cacodemon
18-01-2006, 19:45
Today I played my first game of D&D Boardgame that my wife bought for me for christmas. It definately has the "Heroquest" feel in it. The 2d board is flat and quite boring, and the trees and columns look stupid, but the hero and monster pieces are fantastic. I will paint the miniatures, build some columns and buy some more realistic trees to make the game look better.

The expansion sets look quite interesting, and I think that the D&D miniature game has the same scale models, so you can expand your monster/hero collection by buying them. New artifacts and monsters should be easy to come up with.

Melchor
18-01-2006, 20:44
I managed to pick up a copy for €10 at a local toystore. I haven't had the chance to play yet, but it looks good. The minis are quite nice and the rules look simple enough.

Too bad the rules were in dutch, or I'd have picked up an couple of extra boxes to sell on the internet. ;)

sigur
18-01-2006, 21:25
I played it several times within the last year. I think that it's a bit more tactical than HQ because of quite some ranged weapons, sneak attack and the like. It's fun nonetheless.

Crazy Harborc
19-01-2006, 01:33
Welllllllll.......by golly, gee wiz. I had a thought..........

Sylass...sir:evilgrin: Um, did SHE let you win??:angel:

Tomorrow, I plan to go check out the D & D boardgame.

Grand Warlord
03-02-2006, 03:31
I like it anyone in the dayton area stop by my gamestore (shamless plug im sorry ... ) and have a test run.