31-07-2009, 15:58
Hello everyone,

A situation came up in my game today that has occurred before. Here it is:
K
KEEEEE E=enemy
KEEEEE K=my knights
KEEEEE W=my warriors
KWWWW

My warriors charged to the front and my Knights in the flank. I won the combat and the enemy broke. Page 40 of the rulebook states that the enemy must flee from the unit with the highest unit strength, in this case my knights. My pursuit rolls were low and the enemy escaped.

Now the annoying bit (for me...). page 43 states that the pursuers move in order of decreasing unit strength, so the knights must move first. this is all good so far. What I find odd is one the same page in the rulebook, it says if they contact friendly units "pursuers must stop immediately". So my warriors had rolled a 3 to pursue and the knights an 8. However, the knights cannot move as they are already in base contact with the warriors!

Am I playing this correctly (it seems so according to the rulebook)? It just seems stupid that a unit contacted on opposite sides can flee through an enemy to escape, but my frenzied knights have to stop and say to the warriors "Oh my! Please excuse us for trying chase the enemy down, we'll just wait here for you to slowly walk in front of us."

Also, due to being unable to pursue, my knights were caught out of position and where later destroyed.....

Chipacabra
31-07-2009, 17:06
Well, first off, keep in mind that only the die rolls matter when determining if a fleeing unit is caught or not. So if the knights roll an 8 and the enemy rolls a 5, that's enough even if the knights can't actually go forward.

That being said, it's not completely unreasonable to ignore units that were involved in the close combat during the pursuit move and haven't themselves already moved. There's nothing really in the rules to support it, but it gets you what seems to be the intended result.

Yrrdead
31-07-2009, 17:50
That is the way I've been playing it Bauhaus. As far as I read the rules it seems correct.

Though most often this situation wouldn't come up nearly as often if the people I played with didn't insist on "sliding".

Shas'O Vash
31-07-2009, 17:56
Hmm, interesting point. I'm looking at the two pictures at the bottom of page 43 in the LRB. The pivoting Wolf Riders could easily pivot right on top of the goblin arches next to them, if the picture weren't so clean cut and neat. I'd have to say the the line about moving the highest unit strength first is intended to determine the units final position after the pursuit move.

Signius
01-08-2009, 02:39
Well, the enemies can run away through enemies in the the specific combat they are in, I don't think it would be a stretch to allow pursuers to do so with allies, although I think it qualifies as a house rule.

Shas'O Vash
01-08-2009, 03:24
Signius makes sense to me.

T10
01-08-2009, 14:59
Am I playing this correctly (it seems so according to the rulebook)? It just seems stupid that a unit contacted on opposite sides can flee through an enemy to escape, but my frenzied knights have to stop and say to the warriors "Oh my! Please excuse us for trying chase the enemy down, we'll just wait here for you to slowly walk in front of us."

Yes, this correct according to RAW.

You can probably introduce a house rule where the winner gets to choose the order in which pursuers, and/or allow the pursuing units to move through fellow pursuers, in particular those that have yet to move.

Also notice that you can largely avoid this kind of "blunder" when moving your chargers. If you declare the charge with the smaller unit (the Warriors in this case) first you may be able to "fill" the joining corner with a model from that unit so the larger unit (the Knights) will not be obstructed if they get a pursuit/overrun.

With this in mind, forward thinking is certainly rewarded.

-T10