PDA

View Full Version : 2000 point agressive Undead list

Kahadras
01-08-2009, 01:16
A while back I was discussing different VC builds with a mate. My local club has a couple of Undead players. One favours overwhelming magic while the other prefers to play with a Ghoul horde. We were throwing around other ideas and one idea that popped up was a fast moving Vampire army which got to grips with the enemy ASAP. So I had a sit down and came up with a 'version 1'. I decided to go for a generic Vampire Lord as the army general. I decided not to stick him in the fast attack element but to focus his powers to support the rest of the army. I gave him Avatar of Death to protect him along with Master of the Black Arts and Lord of the Dead to help heal up damage that I'm going to sustain.

Not wanting to leave him without a bodyguard I invested in a soild block of Grave Guard with a full command group. These guys can absorb plenty of punnishment and with the benefits of a Vampire in the front rank and a War banner they should be able to take on quite a lot by themselves.

With the general and his bodyguard out of the way I decided to add my first fast moving combat unit. I decided to go for a unit of Black Knights with full command. To support the unit I added in a Vampire with Dread Knight and Infinite Hatred to make the unit pretty scary on the charge. My next choice was a units of Blood Knights to add another fast moving, hard hitting cavalry unit to the army. I decided to support the two cavalry units with a few units of Wolves which should prove to be useful.

Having filled out my fast attack quota I went back and realised I still had no eligable core choices. To combat this I decided to add in three units of Skeletons. I still had plenty of points to spend after this so decided to go for another couple of characters to help support my Skeleton blocks. The first was a Vampire with Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death, Book of Arkhan and Black Periapt. Like the Vampire Lord this guy is there to support the army rather than break enemy units. He adds a couple of power dice to the mix and also has the book to help speed up my army and draw out DD.

Lastly I decided to go for a Necromancer with the Rod of Flaming Death. He's just there to add in his PD, DD and to try to draw out my opponants DD. I'm going to put him in one of the small Skeleton units and use him to support the rest of the army. So My 2000 point army looks like this...

Vampire Lord + Avatar of Death, Master of the Black Arts and Lord of the Dead
19 Grave Guard + FC and Warbanner

Vampire + Dread Knight and Infinite Hatred
5 Black Knights + FC

Vampire + Dark Acolyte, Avatar of Death, Book of Arkhan and Black Periapt
19 Skeletons + FC

Necromancer + Rod of Flaming Death
14 Skeletons + FC

15 Skeletons + FC

6 Wolves

6 Wolves

6 Wolves

5 Blood Knights + FC

Kahadras

Chaseyboy1er
01-08-2009, 04:03
I actually see a lot of things that could go wrong with this list of yours.

You're grave guard will fall to pieces without a BSB with the regeneration banner in it. It's one of the best units in our book.
Give your blood knights the flag of blood keep, it makes them more durable.
to be honest, i really dislike your list, and i think that it won't do too well. but i could be wrong, it all depends on the player really, but this list isn't the favorite in my book.

Lord Hurin
01-08-2009, 04:20
Grave Guard don't *NEED* the Drakenhof Wight BSB to be a decent bunker. They still have a 4+ save (3+ in CC) on Toughness 4.

Besides 300 points on 2 banners, what advice would you give the OP? You seem to dislike the list so much.

Kahadras
01-08-2009, 09:15
Besides 300 points on 2 banners, what advice would you give the OP? You seem to dislike the list so much.

I kinda have to agree on the banners thing. Bare minimum I'd have to do is find another 195 points in order to buy the two banners and upgrade a Vampire to a BSB to carry the Drakenhof banner. When sugesting changes I'd prefer that people also include what they'd drop in order to finance them. As to changes to the list I have been thinking about jigging things round so I can get a banner for the Blood Knights. One simple way would be to drop a Wolf pack which would give me about 50 points to play with. I was also hoping to get a Varghulf in the army but I wasn't sure what to dropin order to get him.

Kahadras

Lord Hurin
01-08-2009, 13:46
Well, I find Necromancers to be kind of "Meh" to be honest. Dropping him would give you the points needed to get the Flag of Blood Keep for those Blood Knights, which really is a good one for them. You'd have 20 points left over, 8 of which I guess you should use to buy another Skelly to fill the hole left by the Necro.

Kill-Freedom
01-08-2009, 13:49
Well, I find Necromancers to be kind of "Meh" to be honest. Dropping him would give you the points needed to get the Flag of Blood Keep for those Blood Knights, which really is a good one for them. You'd have 20 points left over, 8 of which I guess you should use to buy another Skelly to fill the hole left by the Necro.

All goes down to how you use necros, 55 points for an extra dispel dice is pretty decent, if you spend 15 to get the black peraipt, thats 2 dispel dice, if you save his power dice, needed depending on the enemy you face i guess

Kahadras
02-08-2009, 02:03
I quite like the idea of the Necromancer. He's pretty cheap for the extra dispel dice and he can help to drain away my opponants dispel dice with his Invocation and Rod of Flaming Death. My main concern was to get another magic user/magic item caddy into the army without having to shell out too many points.

Kahadras