PDA

View Full Version : Help w/ Rackham Games: Overview + Yes or No?

Alpharius
08-01-2006, 03:42
Hello!

Looking for input from anyone that plays Rackham's Confrontation (Skirmish?) and/or Rag Narok (Large Scale/Army?)...

Obviously, the miniatures are beautiful (as are the orricial paint jobs too, of course!). Arguably the best out there.

But, how does the game play?

Now that Confrontation 3rd edition is out, is now the time to jump in?

Is the story/background as confusing as it appears to be, from an outsider's perspective?

No the skirmish and army level games play close enough so that confusion between the two is minimal?

And, most importantly, are the games fun?

As a point of reference, most of my wargaming experience has been 40k (since 2nd edition) and WFB (since, er, no idea, but around the time of 40k 2nd edition)!

Thanks!

Disco
08-01-2006, 23:42
Confrontation is essentially a skirmish game with a slight twist. With every mini that you buy, you get their stats on a card. These cards are what makes Confrontation stand out, and in my opinion more tactical/strategic as most games Iīve played.
You see, before the game starts, you build a deck out of your cards, and arrange them in the order youīd like to play them, in turns, beginning with the person who won the "Tactical roll" (this is a your highest Discipline value, essentially representing the person in charge during the skirmish, plus a D6).

This makes the whole game a lot exciting, because youīve got to guess which minis your opponent is going to activate as his next move. Maybe itīs his missile troops whoīll shoot at your mage? Maybe his mage will be the next to be activated, and blast some nasty spell on your melee troops?
Might sound a bit messy, but it really isnīt.

The third edition of Confrontation is absolutely splendid. The rules are very clear when you get to do this, or get to do that. A bunch of nice pictures and a whole lot of diagrams show what is acceptable and whatīs a no go. And, as of this year, Rackham has gotten more serious about getting involved on their English-speaking forums, and even set up an application for people whoīd like to beta-test one of their new games.

The background is, sadly, spread out all over the place. A few lines here and there in the rulebook, a few lines on some of the cards. Altough, Iīve heard that thereīs more and better fluff inside their own magazine, Cry Havoc, of which I havenīt read, sorry.

As Iīve never played Ragīnaīrok (or however itīs spelled) I canīt really compare them. It has formations, it has commanders, overall Iīve heard a lot of good about it. Not many play it yet for some reason though, and I seem to recall something about a bug in the "shooting att unit leaders"-part.
As a reference, the standard tourney Confrontation army is 400pts, and a Ragnarok tourney compatible army is 2000pts.

The games Iīve played are incredibly fun. Iīve almost dropped 40k entirely thanks to Confrontation. The minis are great, and of high quality (plus almost no mouldlines, thank god), the rules are easy to learn, and lots of armies/races to play around with.
Hope Iīve helped you somewhat.

Alpharius
09-01-2006, 02:38
Absolutley!

Thanks for the feedback, it is greatly appreciated.

I'll be picking up the new 3rd edition Confrontation rulebook this week!

Disco
09-01-2006, 09:16
I hope youīll enjoy it as much as I do!

Alpharius
09-01-2006, 15:22
I'll let you know what my first impressions are. Might help someone else with the same questions, right?

I'm a bit disappointed that the background doesn't seem to be well organized, but, whatever!

Another question: Is Cry Havok, their "White Dwarf" I think, worth it?

It is rather pricey. OK, it is extremely pricey.

Just curious!

And again, thanks!

Disco
09-01-2006, 20:02
Itīs their quarterly White dwarf I think. Altough a new slimmed down and not-so-pricey format will make itīs way this year.
Some new cards/profiles do come with it though, for alternative profiles or second incarnations (ie, how powerful the character has/will become) that you can play with. Via second incarnations Rackham develops their heroes, and their stories to boot (At least thatīs what I think).

Cherrystone
09-01-2006, 22:47
Confrontation is a beautiful game, ive got Rag'narok but yet to play as the miniatures are all metal and quite expensive so it takes a while to get a reasonable large size force.
If your a fan of Mordheim or Necromunda theres an expansion book for confrontation coming out in April with rules for 'gangs' and their development via experience and trade etc.

Disco
10-01-2006, 00:33
The new gameīs called Dogs of War, and it essentially letīs you pick almost any miniature and have him lead you small fellowship, and gain skills and so on.

Morph
10-01-2006, 13:45
I've recently started playing Confrontation (after a similar situation to yourself, playing WFB/40K for a long while).

I'm enjoying it, though there are a few rules I'm not so sure of (maybe I just haven't got the hang of the game yet to appreciate them).

It's also a bit strange not having an army list to look at, after years of GW games. As stated all rules are to be found with the mini you buy. It encourages you to buy the minis you like the look of, rather than trying to build the most broken force.

It seems quite expensive to get Ragnarok, since the minis are more costly than GW (and all metal), but a 400 pt Confrontation force can be picked up cheaply.

The background is a little confusing, though I haven't delved too far into it yet. One of the problems is that it's translated from French, and I've found the translations don't read too well. Sometimes you have to re-read things so they make sense.

But yeah, it's fun. The minis are gorgeous and it's a far better fantasy skirmish game than Mordheim. If you're look for something without big armies then I recommend it.

lupus
10-01-2006, 16:38
I'm enjoying it, though there are a few rules I'm not so sure of (maybe I just haven't got the hang of the game yet to appreciate them).

As someone who plays Conf a lot and even demo's it if you've got any questions ask away i'm sure i could answer them for you.

The background is a little confusing, though I haven't delved too far into it yet. One of the problems is that it's translated from French, and I've found the translations don't read too well. Sometimes you have to re-read things so they make sense.

But yeah, it's fun. The minis are gorgeous and it's a far better fantasy skirmish game than Mordheim. If you're look for something without big armies then I recommend it.

Most of the stuff is still in French and some of the Translations are not all that good though getter better. Most of the fluff can be found in the world book for Rag and also the Cry Havoks which will change from once every 4 months to once every 2 months soon..

There are a lot of stories that have been published as well which can give you the flair of the game you just need to know where to find the stuff and players as well...

As for Mordheim style Confrontation will be adding an add on called Dogs of war in April which allows you to play that style of game..

Morph
11-01-2006, 14:50
As someone who plays Conf a lot and even demo's it if you've got any questions ask away i'm sure i could answer them for you.

Ok (though I wonder if I should find a Conf forum to post on). As I said, I'm quite new and have only started getting to grips with rules and tactics. One thing I'm currently wondering about is the combat system. It seems much better to always put all your dice in offense rather than defense (or whatever the terms are). There seem very little times when I would actually want to try and defend over trying to attack my opponent twice. Am I missing something here?

Disco
11-01-2006, 16:18
Hereīs the link to the official Rackham English Forum (Hope I donīt break any rules for posting a link to another gaming board). Lots of friendly gamers post here.

http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/

lupus
11-01-2006, 16:46
Ok (though I wonder if I should find a Conf forum to post on). As I said, I'm quite new and have only started getting to grips with rules and tactics. One thing I'm currently wondering about is the combat system. It seems much better to always put all your dice in offense rather than defense (or whatever the terms are). There seem very little times when I would actually want to try and defend over trying to attack my opponent twice. Am I missing something here?

Well Yes thats what a lot of people say though if you have nothing in defence a persons attack roll goes straight in and could remove your model without you having a chance to attack at all. Having dice in defence allows you to parry a persons attack and give you the chance to attack back. Unlike say Warhammer its not all my attacks all yours..

If you both had two dice in attack it would work like this.

A 1 attack
B 1 Attack
A 1 Attack
B 1 Attack

If B had a dice in defence he could opt for a single chance of defence or even sustained (This increases the difficulty but if you succed you keep the defence dice.). Some of the abilities like Ambidextrous work on successful defence actions as well...

The EN forum is good though if your looking for players in your area and in sheffield i can think of a couple from the top of my head your better off looking here;

www.conf-federation.org.uk

Its the home of the recognised UK Confrontation Federation.

AgentZero
16-01-2006, 00:28
Confrontation has the best sculpts in the world.
That's why I buy them.:p
Mainly the Wolfen and the Minotaurs.

I have the 2nd Edition.I played a few games, but there's not many C players around my parts.
I also have the French books and cards but I don't know a lick of French.:cries:
I got them in an auction with a bunch of figures (Wolfen).

I also have a few Cry Havocs. They're dang expensive. I'm getting them at net cost (I'm a retailer) and they're still expensive. I stopped getting CH at issue 4.

If you're interested in the game get to the English Confrontation Forums IMMEDIATELY.No excuses.
http://en-forum.confrontation.fr/index.php?sid=c209cfb5934a6a6b3a96d1c539346695

Emperors Teeth
19-02-2006, 21:54
I play Hybrid, though when I find someone else interested intend to delve into Confrontation too.

Re: Cry Havoc. Yes its a helluvan expensive magazine. But I look at it as more of an investment, or even as a book. Cry Havoc is actually 2 magazines:

1: The main (and larger) one contains a painting guide (and/or scenery workshop) which deals with concepts and ideas as well as technique. Its definately not for the beginner. There is also a battle report or two, for Confrontation or Ragnorok (I can't remember if there has been a Hybrid one). Lastly, there's a load of short stories and new [concept] art to inspire you.

2: The mini-mag is filled with new scenarios for any/all of Rackhams games which I find particularly useful for my Hybrid gaming. They had a load of tournament scenarios for each game in issue 5 I think.

Also, with each issue are a bunch of new character cards for Hybrid or Confrontation. Some are specific to scenarios such as the Nexus cards (something to do with objectives if I remember right).

P.S. The paper quality is astounding for a magazine...

erion
21-02-2006, 14:39
Rackham's stuff in general is pricey, but no moreso than GW.

As far as CH, for that $26 you're getting official rules, painting guides, official background for multiple forces and the world at large, new cards for all three games (Confrontation, Rag'narok and Hybrid). And you're doing that four times a year. Compare that with $6 an issue for WD where the rules can't be used in tournament play or without opponent's consent, and you're getting background info and painting/modeling guides for the same army get for three-four months at a shot, so if you don't play that army and/or game the magazine is of little to no use. It's very much more a periodic rules expansion/supplement than it is a gaming magazine.

unheilig
21-02-2006, 23:40
i'll echo the positive sentiments about Confrontation.

as for RagNarok... it still needs work.

lupus
23-02-2006, 11:48
i'll echo the positive sentiments about Confrontation.

as for RagNarok... it still needs work.

I'll agree on that though i don't think it was sound judgement to bring the game out 6 months before changing its main rules system...

Though there is more Conf style games to come out this year, Dog's of War is there version of Necromunda/Mordeheim though i have to say a lot better as you can pick figures from the normal range to have in your Free Company and it uses the normal rule set so your not learning a new game...Cadwallon will see them venture into the RP style market a bit like Inquisitor, though we still don't know what sort of rule set there going to use...