PDA

View Full Version : Eternal Guard - Any way to make them work?

TheSanityAssassin
02-08-2009, 16:47
Straight up as simple as that. The WE players in my area ALL have boxes of Eternal Guard they're dumping for cheap, and given that they are never used, and have cool models, I'm pondering after them.

But I really can't think of a good way to make an army based around them. Anyone tried at all? Any good ways to make it work?

Nathangonmad
02-08-2009, 17:12
No, not at all there simply crap.

Commodus Leitdorf
02-08-2009, 17:32
http://www.thebainphalanx.com/

Try it out, maybe it could work for you ;)

Sarah S
02-08-2009, 17:38
What. The. Hell?

TheSanityAssassin
02-08-2009, 17:47
What. The. Hell?

Seconded.....
That's...an interesting...I don't really know if I can call that a Deathstar or what....

Aranel
02-08-2009, 18:03
Thebian? Just no!

I quite like eternal guard, but you need to expend a lot of points to make them effective that could be used to purchase other things. I dropped them in the end and bought some more harhitting skirmishers like Wardancers and dryads. Everybody knows that with a noble or highborn they can be difficult to shift and either avoid them or shoot them accordingly. To conclude, they're very easy to counter.

Condottiere
02-08-2009, 18:50
Eternal Guard as the Theban Sacred Band - trying to explain it's socio-cultural roots would be a hoot.

Gordon Freeman
02-08-2009, 21:36
with banner of midwinter, for all of 1 turn, seriously if you wonna hold something up for a few turns try a Treeman or Wardancers with 4+ ward dance and Ariels blessing cast, even then...

Arguleon-veq
02-08-2009, 21:42
Never been a fave of mine but Ive never thought them to be that bad. I quite like this set up;

17 Eternal Guard; FC

Joined by -

Noble; Stone of Rebirth, Gwythercs Horn, BSB

Re rolling Stubborn with a BSB who has a 2+ Ward, and you can be ITP for a turn when you really need it too.

Usually holds well enough to get a few units in the flanks.

shartmatau
03-08-2009, 13:10
my friend has been playing WE for awhile and he's always wanted to play with 2 blocks of 30 Eternal Guard with heroes in them. Everything else just supports those. He has yet to do it because he didnt really want to spend that much money on 60 guard. If you can get them cheap it would be fun to hear about.
Cheers.

PARTYCHICORITA
03-08-2009, 13:42
I have run a block of 21 (7x3) with a noble and the harp on either a caster or combat lord. They do a decent work fighting.

vs double tank, double dragon, double hydra, double etc however there is nothing for them to go do.

willowdark
03-08-2009, 13:58
MSU. Check it out.

Wardancer Highborn, BoL, AoN, SotCM.

Standard Alter.

Scroll Caddy

3 x 10 Eternal Guard w/ musicians.
2 x 10 Glade Guard
2 x 5 Glade Riders w/ musicians.
2 x 8 Dryads

2 x 8 Wardancers w/ full command
6 Wild Riders w/ full command and the Warbanner.

Great Eagle.

Just about 2250 and will redirect, bait and flee, screen and otherwise confuse the enemy until those Wardancers and Wild Riders can land those critical charges.

Maybe 3 x 10 is excessive, but 2 units could work as well. Cheap bait units that can rally and rejoin the fight with 15 st3 attacks to the flank. Not bad, in a decently comped or friendly environment.

TheSanityAssassin
03-08-2009, 16:07
True. I was thinking that you could just use Glade Guard for the same purpose, but they don't have as many attacks back in the flank, or WS 5....and it would be nice for comp.

SkawtheFalconer
03-08-2009, 18:35
I've never fielded them, dont rate them at all. The only good thing about them is their static combat res.

There's some good ideas on this thread of how to get the best out of them - also consider deploying them in your Free Wood and using Tree-Sing Taxi. Maybe also give HOD to a character in front rank, standing and shooting anything that charges you.

Ender Shadowkin
03-08-2009, 18:47
I use them quite a bit. I run 18 FC + Warbanner and 2 nobles. One is a BSB with Stone Of Crystal Mere, and sword of Might. The other Noble has Amber Pendant (opponents strike last), Gwenrths Horn (1 turn immune to psych) and Great Weapon.

Dishes out a lot of attacks, can lay a bunch of attacks down first even when Charged (good counter to HE and Black Guard). Lots of Static CR for big nasties, and can hold against something really nasty for 2 rounds of combat at the absolute worst . .. . Drawbacks expensive and slow, but if your running a treeman and treekin . . .THe BSB comes in handy and you have a solid center. You do need to use your dryad missle screens effectivly. Not what a lot of people expect out of WE.