PDA

View Full Version : charge against large targets

Milgram
02-08-2009, 20:32
this was just brought up by someone here, I honestly never tought about it!

a large target stands to the flank of an infantry unit. the front rank of the infantry unit cannot see the large target due to the 90 arc. the second rank could see it, but usually the front rank would block the LOS to the target. but as it is a large target, the second rank can actually see the target over the heads of the first rank. therefore the unit may charge.

is this something absolutely obvious that we just never did or should I inform an opponent when he places a large target 'out of sight' of the first rank, that he might be missing that rule?

Festus
02-08-2009, 20:54
Hi

If any model in the unit can see the target of the charge, the unit may then declare a charge.

Greetings
Festus

Jetty Smurf
03-08-2009, 05:15
Festus, does that not go against the arc of sight rules for the unit?

Good luck flank charging anything with a large target...

Condottiere
03-08-2009, 05:25
Rather like shooting from the second rank at large targets.

Jetty Smurf
03-08-2009, 06:10
Page 18 Declare Charges - 4th paragraph

"A unit may only declare a charge if at least one model in the unit can see at least one enemy model in the opposing unit, in other words, it has line of sight to the unit it wishes to charge."

I guess this means that if the large target is within the arc of sight of ANY model in the unit, the whole unit can charge.

This was obviously something I had overlooked (and those I play with) when reading through this part of the BRB. We usually just use the front rank arc of sight, but I guess with my HE friend's dragon running around this is something for me to consider.

Yrrdead
03-08-2009, 08:04
This has officially blown my mind.

Atrahasis
03-08-2009, 09:06
This is one of the things that is not immediately obvious to all readers of the rules, and actually caused quite a ruckus when it was raised 3 years ago, but is now commonly accepted.

Just another example of "obvious" being subjective.

Milgram
03-08-2009, 11:14
This is one of the things that is not immediately obvious to all readers of the rules, and actually caused quite a ruckus when it was raised 3 years ago, but is now commonly accepted.

Just another example of "obvious" being subjective.

thought so. :) I just have never seen or heard a discussion about it - and obviously didn't think of it myself.

shartmatau
03-08-2009, 13:04
well you have to remember that even though you may be able to see the large target, you may not have enough movement (or space) to wheel and make contact for your charge. This of course depends on what unit is charging and the placement of the target.

Mercules
03-08-2009, 13:28
well you have to remember that even though you may be able to see the large target, you may not have enough movement (or space) to wheel and make contact for your charge. This of course depends on what unit is charging and the placement of the target.

Bretonian KotR comes to mind of being a unit very able to utilize this. :)
1. Their 2nd and 3rd ranks are far enough back they will often be able to see large targets about to flank them.
2. They have a LOT of movement available for wheeling even if it will look ridiculous on the board for them to spin around one corner like that with the back end of the formation whirling around.