PDA

View Full Version : Orb of Thunder: Is it worth it?

Slayerthane
03-08-2009, 04:23
What are people's thought on the Orb of Thunder in the Empire army book? With the growing popularity of flying mounts, I am surprised that no one seems to include this bound item in their lists. I would think this item would be particularly useful against lords on dragons. Has anyone had any luck with it?

PeG
03-08-2009, 04:52
I have seen it used to give another turn of cannon fire against large flying things. Unfortunately it is rather easy to counter.

blurred
03-08-2009, 06:55
The Orb is a very situational item, but with three mages it can be useful. Use Wizard's Staff to draw out dispel dice or even a scroll, then blast with Doomfire Ring or Ring of Volans and finally seal the deal with the Orb.

However, with Empire you probably want a BSB and an Arch Lector or a General to keep your troops in line. My friend uses a Wizard Lord and a BSB with the Imperial Banner, but I have found this approach to be too pricey.

If your gaming group uses a lot of flyers, my advice is to use it every now and then to keep your friends guessing. ;)

Commodus Leitdorf
03-08-2009, 10:22
Nothing spoils the party quite like finding out your Bloodthirster has been grounded due to its effects.

Its situational yes, but once your opponent knows its out there he'll start holding dice to prevent it from hampering the movement of his flyers. Which can be useful in a decent empire magic phase to help other things get through.

I would recommend trying it atleast.

Irisado
03-08-2009, 10:37
As others have pointed out, it is situational, but I have found it to be very useful at grounding those pesky flying Monsters, which can cause the Empire a lot of problems.

If you are going to take it though, I suggest fielding quite a few spellcasters, so that you can draw out dispel dice, in order to make it more likely that you will be able to cast it successfully, so it's not an item I would consider taking in small games, as you just won't be able to afford enough Wizards to make it a worthwhile option.

Gaargod
03-08-2009, 12:48
Be aware that a lot of the big flying monsters actually have quite high movement - Bloodthirsters for example, still come in at a crazy 8M (why...).

Useful against small war machine killers (slow Harpies, slow!), but i'd rather take more standard killy bound spells.

shartmatau
03-08-2009, 13:21
its really useful against pesky thing like the Harpies. also against daemons the screamers get reduced to zero movement... saw it happen once and it was hilarious.

Keller
03-08-2009, 14:36
I've used the Orb to good effect in the past. I hate to echo so many oppinions, but it really is situational. Its rather expensive, and you may end up facing an enemy with no fliers whatsoever. Of course, when you do get to use it, it can really help screw up enemy plans.

It really is a one trick pony, since once the opponent knows about it, they will save dice for it 99% of the time if they worry about flying. If you're playing open lists, its even harder to get to use effectively. You have to hold it for last, thinning your opponent's DD then let it rip. It does help that it has a higher PL than most other bounds, though.

Maoriboy007
03-08-2009, 20:03
Its better now that MR doesn't affect it (take that Bloodthirster!)

Keller
03-08-2009, 22:41
Its better now that MR doesn't affect it (take that Bloodthirster!)

I was unaware that MR ever affected the Orb, since it never targets any units.

Condottiere
04-08-2009, 09:23
It has to specifically target a unit, not a general class.

Maoriboy007
05-08-2009, 02:20
I was unaware that MR ever affected the Orb, since it never targets any units.

It definitly did in 6th edition, and until it was clarified in the DE FAQ, it did in this edition as well.

Slayerthane
05-08-2009, 13:21
I don't play tourneys much, but if I do face certain armies for whom the popular build is a lord on a flying mount I will definitely take the Orb in my list. Especially against, DoC, DE and HE. I would think it would be popular in tourney lists at least since HE and DE players seem to prefer the lord on a dragon, and DoC seem to have alot of flying units too.

limkopi
05-08-2009, 16:59
Even with a high ground movement value, the loss of flying can be critical as the opponent may want to do a flying charge across to that other unit behind. He/she may not be able to charge that unit using ground movement (due to lack of pivots etc). It is still useful. Also remember Large flying monster lists usually have low magic defense. You can take advantage of this by only utilising the orb when the opponent already used up all his/her scrolls and is out of dispel dice.

ewar
05-08-2009, 17:26
I can't comment on the Orb, as I've never seen it in action. But my Bretonnian GT list won't spit on a peasant without the Falcon Horn of Fredemund, which sounds like a very similar item.

The horn though is one use and not a bound item - very handy for setting up a knight charge on a big monster. March block a dragon with some peg knights or mounted yeomen, use the horn then watch him flail around trying to get out of charge range.

I'd imagine Empire suffer the same way to large, mobile, high strength opponents; so it sounds like the sort of item I'd take.