PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Building a Malal-Worshippers Army

mikepm07
03-08-2009, 08:02
So I did a bit of digging around (read: wikipedia) and found out about the minor Chaos god, Malal, who seems much more interesting to me than the four major Gods. I'm thinking about making a Warriors of Chaos army and the idea of a army comprised of men in black/white armor and shields adorned with skulls seems ... very cool. Not to mention the idea of a renegade Chaos God who hunts the other Chaos Gods is just awesome. I also like the subtle references to Malal, namely the Sons of Malice, which seem to be the 40k continuation of Malal worshipers in WHFB.

Anyways, I read the wikipdia page, and read some of the comics, namely the Quest of Kaleb Daark and the others, but I'd love to find out anything else that's floating around out there to help build my army.

I am a bit set on using a Sorcerer Lord to lead my 2250 army, but I will definitely include Kaleb Daark as an Exhalted Champion on a Daemonic Steed wielding Bloodthirster (Axe of Khorne.)

So yeah, please hit me with any fluff knowledge, potential conversion ideas, and what not, that you might have. Thanks guys!

Artinam
03-08-2009, 08:37
Well GW lost the rights to this God when the writer who came up with him left the company. This kind of explains the lack of fluff on him.

mikepm07
03-08-2009, 08:50
Well GW lost the rights to this God when the writer who came up with him left the company. This kind of explains the lack of fluff on him.

I understand, but its still out there, and I'm sure I haven't seen all of it.

Dranthar
03-08-2009, 10:20
Well from what I've read (likely the same as you), worshippers of Malal tend to be loners, but very powerful thanks to the individual attention Malal gives his few followers.

The obvious choice, then, is to have the army led by the strongest, most expensive character you can come up with. A level 4 Sorcerer Lord is a decent choice, but I'd be tempted to go all out and take a Daemon Prince with 4 levels of magic. More expensive, possibly less points-effective, but also much more fitting for a champion of Malal.

The rest of the army is a problem, however, since the very nature of Malal deems that his followers fight against Chaos, including other followers of Malal. The way I see it, you thus have three choices;

1. Make sure there's very few followers, all of them stupid-powerful. The meagre background does mention that armies of Malal can exist, they just tend not to last long. So sticking with that, you just make it the smallest, most elite army possible. To me, that means heroes everywhere, Chaos Warriors for Core and whatever for special/rare.

2. Make sure the rest of the army aren't strictly followers of Malal. Perhaps your champion is followed by the tattered remnants of an Empire army that was devastated by a Chaos Horde? After your Champion of Malal 'rescued' them by defeating the Chaos army single-handedly, the Empire survivors (with nothing else to do) decided to follow this Chamion of Malal to enact vengance on the forces of Chaos?
An army like that would be the polar opposite of 1.: Hordes of empire troops acting as a proxy for Maraulders and horsemen.

3. The rest of the army is made up of non-humans, all bent to the will of your champion. So basically Chaos Hounds and Spawn for the bulk of your forces, with the compulsory core taken up by a suitable proxy? I'd suggest Beastmen, but their chaotic nature means your Champion would probably kill them on sight.
Maybe animated Chaos-warrior statues then?

Matt1982
03-08-2009, 11:17
My Beasts army is Malal dedicated, mostly due to a massive imbalance of regulars with 'evil' armies at the local store giving me a good excuse to, from time to time, side with the forces of Order when the need arises for bigger games, the manager has never had any issue with this and it adds more offensive capability to the usually defensive 'good' side. Fluff story behind them on these occasions is they're led by a Gave who's challenged his way to the top and still feels a tie to humanity so he's taken them over to Malal to hunt the followers of the others.

mrtn
03-08-2009, 11:44
There's an axe in the new knights set that looks almost exactly like Kaleb's axe. Make use of that.

Leogun_91
03-08-2009, 11:59
Firstly I quess I should warn you that this is points ineffective and a really bad choice but it is actually a good way of representing the animosity of the followers. Give an unmarked unit the banner that forces non-nurgle models to take toughness tests....yes it sucks but you have high tougness and it represents animosity in the ranks very good.

Helm of many eyes is also a good option as it forces a leader to take a leadership test to keep his troops under control (stupidity test).

When the deamonprince comes out I suggest that you put a chained and tortured one on a cart to represent a warshrine....both beacouse itīs cool and beacouse it fits Malal.

Lordmonkey
03-08-2009, 13:32
Shh, do not utter Malal's name, for the GW ninjas will come and get you!

Wait, I said it! I said Malal! Argh, I said it again!

ahem.

A few powerful characters, Chosen, Chaos Warriors with lots of gear, chaos knights. You could use the Mark of Slaanesh to reflect the elite nature of the army (immune to fear, terror, panic) but call it the Mark of Malal (ssh!). No Marauders, no mutations, no hordes.

One other thing - the champions of Malal (shh!) are often extra dimensional/terrestrial, and vary in nature. Your forces do not have to come from the Warhammer World! A good way to represent an alien worshipper of Malal (ssh!) would be to use the Chaos Spawn rules and perhaps theme it as a ogre-sized alien Knight of some sort, come to join the fight against Chaos with the locals.

Condottiere
03-08-2009, 14:14
All hail Malice, Lord of Spite and Master of Bypassed Intellectual Properties.

Nesbet
03-08-2009, 15:22
I wish u luck with your choice
A very good one indeed :P

Before I forget, you can try to get one Kaleeb Dark in ebay
There doesn't come so often, but with a bit of luck...
(I have mine already! =P)

mikepm07
03-08-2009, 17:32
Some really great ideas in here, thanks.

Also, why does GW have to suck so much at copyrights/intellectual property/whatever. I'm namely thinking of that whole Starcraft opportunity.

selone
03-08-2009, 17:57
My Beasts army is Malal dedicated, mostly due to a massive imbalance of regulars with 'evil' armies at the local store giving me a good excuse to, from time to time, side with the forces of Order when the need arises for bigger games, the manager has never had any issue with this and it adds more offensive capability to the usually defensive 'good' side. Fluff story behind them on these occasions is they're led by a Gave who's challenged his way to the top and still feels a tie to humanity so he's taken them over to Malal to hunt the followers of the others.

That sounds a really nice background :)

Cypher, the Emperor
05-08-2009, 10:16
I always wanted to make a brettonian themed Malal army. Of crusading knights that went off the deep end.