PDA

View Full Version : Radio Idiocy of the grandest scale

x-esiv-4c
09-05-2005, 14:37
Hi,
This morning coming into work I was listening to the radio ( since some bastard stole me CD player...) and being in Huntsville, Alabama the only station to listen to was "95.1 THE ROCKET!" which is hosted by the famous: "Rick and Bubba". Now, they were doing a bit with callers calling in and telling them how Mother's day was and what their family did. One caller ringed in and said how she recieved a card from her daughter serving in Iraq. At that moment, the show took a hard left turn down *****-drive. Rick chimed in with:

"Wow, Thats great! So even though she's fighting for freedom in Iraq she still managed to send out a card?"

Then Bubba bleated:

"And you must be proud! She's fighting all those terrorists that blew up the towers on 9/11!"

Rick responded: ( by this time the caller was gone )

"You know, Iraq ( pronounced Eye-Rack ) is a dangerous place, those terrorists don't fight like real Americans, and thats what makes them terrorists!"

...the show goes on.

At this point I was pulling into work. Now yes, I do live in Huntsville ( research ) and I suppose I can expect this kind on nonsense from a place that has 3 churches per block, but honestly. I guess i'm just dumbfounded by the comments.

Adept
09-05-2005, 14:58
See, democracy only really works if you have an intelligent, educated and motivated public. Which clearly isn't the case in all areas. Unfortunately, it's also the same in Australia.

I don't mind if people wan't to be religious, if that's their own personal educated choice. But when folks go to church and do the whole religion thing, just because their mommy and poppy took them to church as kids and told them what to believe, that really gets on my tits.

Anyway, enough ranting from me.

salty
09-05-2005, 15:08
In the UK the general thesis is....

"meh".

I don't think Brits give a damn about anyone any more.

Even if we do get some who are utterly thick (I don't think anything could top Ron Atkinson's racist rant!)

Salty :)

Samoth
09-05-2005, 15:32
Afaik, iraq is the only reason about blair didnt win by a landslide.

On the other hand, that isn't proof of an intelligent country (no offence intended). Most protesters have... One sided views.

Jedi152
09-05-2005, 16:15
I guess i'm just dumbfounded by the comments.
Why? They obviously don't support the war in Iraq. Ok, so they didn't have to slate the woman's daughter on air, but it isn't a crime to not support your governments decisions.

tzeentchgiant
09-05-2005, 16:24
It's ignorance on they're part, but you shouldn't get annoyed unless they start to affect you, stupid people will never have any say on what goes on in the world unless something extraordinary lets them.

NOTABLE EXEPTION: George W. Bush

TG

x-esiv-4c
09-05-2005, 16:25
it's not that they support it, it's that the comments were wrong in fact.

Adept
09-05-2005, 16:29
It's ignorance on they're part, but you shouldn't get annoyed unless they start to affect you

They vote.

Sylass
09-05-2005, 16:51
Ah, yes...I saw this thread the moment I logged out and left work to catch the bus.

Needless to say the thread developed pretty much exactly like I expected it to develop. No real surprise if you look at the initial post...:rolleyes:

Guys, atm there's no P&R subforum for a reason, so please try to keep the P&R stuff out of RM.

Thanks.

Sylass, Portent mod.