View Full Version : 2000pts of Dwarfs

Ginganium Mattrate
03-08-2009, 22:35
CHARACTERS:
Runelord - Shield, Anvil of Doom, Rune of Stone

Thane - Great Weapon, Shield, Oath Stone, Rune of Stone

CORE:
20 Warriors - Full Command, Shields (thane here)

20 Warriors - Full Command, Shields (other thane here)

10 Thunderers - Shields

10 Thunderers - Shields

SPECIAL:

20 Hammerers - Full Command, Shields, Rune of Battle

1 Cannon - Engineer (Brace of Pistols)

RARE:

1 Organ Gun

1 Organ Gun

I recently played a very similar 1500 version of this list (no anvil being the only major difference) against a friend (he used O&G) and he had very little fun. Admittedly, we had no terrain at all, so that can't have made the ranged units much fun to face, but surely not to point where my opponent felt he could never come up with a tactic to beat me? I don't feel this list does anything particularly unusual for dwarfs? I'm not a hyper competitive player, and although I prefer winning to losing, I generally enjoy myself more if my opponent is smiling too...

And so to the point(s):
1) is this list too mean/unfriendly for a relaxed session?
2) is the Anvil 'cheesy'?
3) can O&G players please give some tips how they'd go about tackling this army?

Thanks in Advance :)

lcfr
04-08-2009, 04:03
Runelord - Shield, Anvil of Doom, Rune of Stone

You should probably have a dispel scroll, comes in handy even w/7DD.

I think a BSB is a must-have in most dwarf lists 1500pts or higher. Upgrading one of these guys to BSB and giving them some runic protection would be worthwhile imo. If you want to run a non-BSB thane it might be worthwhile to find the points to give him one or two of the more useful runes in the dwarf arsenal like the MRChallenge or a rune that will increase his hitting power or survivability.

CORE:
20 Warriors - Full Command, Shields (thane here)

20 Warriors - Full Command, Shields (other thane here)

I think you should have a few more in each unit; my reasoning is that you want to retain your full rank bonuses and at 20strong losing just one dwarf from missile fire is already robbing you of one rank bonus

SPECIAL:

20 Hammerers - Full Command, Shields, Rune of Battle

RCourage may be more practical; Fear is more and more common and even at Ld9 it helps to have protection from it

I don't think cannons need unit engineers; if anything the RForging is the way to go if you have the points. A pair of bolt throwers w/engineers in lieu of one cannon might be a good investment too.

RARE:

1 Organ Gun

1 Organ Gun

To answer your questions at the end of your post:
1. I don't think this list is too mean. The only mean thing about it might be the pair of organ guns, but this list is still fairly balanced imo.
2. A non-Thorek anvil is hardly cheesy if you ask me; a 175pt warmachine that will likely misfire once a game if used regularly and has a 50% chance of misfiring any time you want to use ancient power is too chancy imo. I don't field AoDs myself but I'm not awfully impressed by them or interested in fielding one.
3. I'm not an O&G player, but the best way to get around two organ guns for an army that doesn't have scouts or skirmishers (if memory serves) is to be willing to make sacrifices and/or focus magic and shooting on them.