PDA

View Full Version : Squig Herders

Blaklabel
04-08-2009, 04:23
So I'm going to field a unit of 20. 12 Squigs with 8 herders. My question is, when they are in CC and you take casualties, do I have to remove a squig if the front row is all squigs? Can I only remove the herders if they are in the front row? I realize the herders need to stay alive, but technically only 1 needs to live. And I want those squigs to have all the power they can since if they flee they die.

Milgram
04-08-2009, 05:46
you remove what your opponent is attacking. when you only have squigs in the front row, then you have to remove squigs. if you have some herders in the first row, then your opponent can direct attacks against them.

BlackVomit
04-08-2009, 05:51
IMO, it depends on what is in base to base contact and what is the second rank made up of. If the first rank is all squigs and the second rank is all herders, would the excess attacks on the squigs be carried over to the herders or lost?
We usually 'zoom in' on this fight, making attacks of each enemy model individually.

That said, what is you general strategy with the herders?

I had a unit of 16 (9+6) hold up a Great Unclean One for a couple of turns, but normally I use them as a Squig bomb, placing all the herders in the front and sending it into the enemy ranks.

Condottiere
04-08-2009, 06:48
That is a problem about excess wounds - I would say if there are a mixture of squigs and herders in the second rank it should be handled like shooting.

Urgat
04-08-2009, 09:19
Why? It's the same as usual, you remove what the opponent killed, and that's it. If there's no herder in the front rank, he can't attack the herders, etc. If he kills more sqiugs than there's squigs left, you won't start removing herders either, when you kill all the skinks, do you remove the kroxigor?

rtunian
04-08-2009, 12:57
aye, if only squigs can be attacked, then only squigs can be killed.
it's a matter of keeping the mechanic simple.

in this case, squigs can hop right over little gobbos so it's no problem :)

Harwammer
04-08-2009, 19:35
I've found min squig herds are fun redirectors against opponents without too much shooting. Have just goblins in the front rank, the enemy will charge the unit and kill the goblins (but be unable to attack the squigs). This will inevitably end up with the squigs going boom, doing damage to the unit being redirected and anything else close by. Yay!

Milgram
04-08-2009, 21:02
I have somewhere seen a clarification that goblin herders do not explode... but I can't find it anymore, it is not in the O&G faq as far as i can see. but... they do not, even though the army book says nothing different. :)